Best all-around hunting rifle?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best all-around hunting rifle?

1. Best all-around hunting rifle?

What is the best all around hunting rifle caliber? Specifically for North America, anything from deer to elk. Thanks. I know this has been asked a million times, but this is easier than looking for posts.

A 270 would work great for both.

+1 on that. Some people prefer to blow a whole shoulder off with too big of a gun. If you are a good hunter and marksman there is nothing in north America that won't fall to a 270.

IMO the best all round rifle for North American game would be the 30-06 you can hunt anything from varmints to bear with the 06.I have owned just about everything including the 300WSM which I traded for an 06 after it nearly tore my shoulder off.

6. I must be a wuss then, I bout died shooting my. 270 M77. Scope eye and a dislocated shoulder. (No, I didn't limp grip the rifle. )

My hunting gun is an AK 47. It goes kaboom every time my finger touch the trigger.
    "Don't let the door hit ya where the dawg shudda bit ya!"
    G'day and Glock
    GATEWAY SWIFT WING ST. LOUIS

I'll second the vote for the '06. Elk are tough animals. My FIL is an expert shot and has done well with his .270 on them, but the chances of success with a less than perfect shot are better with the larger caliber. The ballistics for the .308 are close to the '06. That might be a good choice, too.

9. Jd13

I highly recommend the 308. Versatility of the 30-06 with less recoil, greater range than a 30-30, and more stopping power than a 270. I own them all and my 308 is the one I always grab for all my hunting needs from Varmints to White Tails

Though .308 is a very good choice, I have settled on the 7x57Muaser.
    I have used it on feral hogs, white tail and mule deer, antelope, and black bear. Nothing ever got up and complained.
    Devin K. Noffsinger

Dad has had a Savage 30-30 since the early 60's. As of this week he has a Remington 1903A3 in .270 Winchester. The Remington was a US Gov't gun made in 1942 in 30-06.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast