Home Defense Shotgun - Page 5
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Home Defense Shotgun

My sweet loving wife bought me a Mossberg 500 in 410 bore. It is a pump-action. It holds 5-6 depending if 3 inchers or 2 and a half. Many think the 410 isnt very powerful but the slugs deliver 800 pounds of muzzle energy which is better than a 357 magnum. There is a suprising variety of loads available. Even 000buckshot. Winchester makes a self defence load that has 3 projectiles and 12 BBs and is advertised "stop the threat". IT WILL. The 410 has little recoil and mine cost only $235. It has a standard rifle stock. The recoil in important in that with the light recoil recovery time after a shot is nil meaning you can rapid fire accurately. Also if you are recoil sensitive a 410 is perfect. Even 'light loads are lethal(100ft) and will not go through multiple walls thereby decreasing the chances of an innocent person being injured. Slugs have a longer range. Remember in comparing 410 with larger gauges, 'bigger is not always better'. Besides wife loves it and knows how to use it.

3. Franchi shotguns are a bit strange when it comes to after market accessories. Check with the folks over at the Franchi Forum at Bennelli USA at Franchi - Benelli USA Forums. I remember seeing some questions asked over there about tricking out Franchi shotguns for self defense use but don't remember the details.

Yes, as I said, I contacted them, I asked on their blogs, and even contacted some retailers of mag extensions. No one knows.
    I guess it is because they are not that popular. Then again they are a bit pricy. But I felt very good looking. I have my Mossberg for 'special purposes' what I consider my Mossberg is was said in that old '70's song, Evil Wicked Mean and Nasty, and the Franchi is for fun.

Good judgment comes from experience,
    and a lotta that comes from bad judgment.
    The story of my life.

Quote Originally Posted by santa View Post
    ...Many think the 410 isnt very powerful but the slugs deliver 800 pounds of muzzle energy which is better than a 357 magnum. There is a suprising variety of loads available. Even 000buckshot. Winchester makes a self defence load that has 3 projectiles and 12 BBs and is advertised "stop the threat". IT WILL. The 410 has little recoil and mine cost only $235. It has a standard rifle stock. The recoil in important in that with the light recoil recovery time after a shot is nil meaning you can rapid fire accurately. Also if you are recoil sensitive a 410 is perfect. Even 'light loads are lethal(100ft) and will not go through multiple walls thereby decreasing the chances of an innocent person being injured. Slugs have a longer range. Remember in comparing 410 with larger gauges, 'bigger is not always better'. Besides wife loves it and knows how to use it.
    A couple of months back I jumped on an opportunity to purchase a Saiga .410 to go with my other Saigas (a 12 and 2 5.56s... they are getting to be a habit I think). As one who has a lot of firearm experience but very little experience with .410, I was happily surprised at the damage it can do. My wife also likes it and it has joined our little "bedroom arsenal" of available weapons when I (or she, if I am away) choose to investigate a "bump in the night" or our 4-legged alarm systems giving a sustained notice...i have one mag filled with the "Stop The Threat" rounds of which you speak after seeing what a mag full did to a 4X8 plywood sheet :)

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned the Stoeger Double Defense 12ga. It is a 20inch barrel side by side with dual picitiny rails. One on the receiver and one below the barrels. All for under $400

Great Quote.

8. Remington 870 is a real good shotgun. It's the most popular LE shotgun. Another one is the Mossberg 500.

All good things come to an end. I had to sell mine for car repairs. Maybe later.

HD shotguns are an easy "first project" for building your own gun. My primary HD gun is below. It started as a very pathetic hulk of a Mossberg 500A (12 Gauge)hunting shotgun picked up in a cornfield after a tornado. The gun had ridden the funnel to quite a ways from home. We never did find the original owner and gun was found by a friend in his field. Stock and forearm were both splintered (Rails were OK) and the barrel was twisted. I took the gun apart, cleaned it and was able to salvage frame, mechanisms and slide frame with rails.

After cleaning the assemblies, I steel wooled and cold blued them. I repainted the receiver with a semi gloss black paint. I replaced all of the springs , rusted or not. I polished the very rusted (gun was recovered three months after tornado, during rainy season!) bolt assembly with fine emery cloth and then Mother's Mag polish. I replaced the barrel with a stock Mossberg 18 1/2" barrel (Midway USA) and put a Trijicon bead (glow in the dark) on it (Midway USA). The stock and forend are Hogue Overmold (Midway USA). The "gummy" grips give excellent grip for sweaty or wet hands . The shell holder and LimbSaver Recoil Pad are from WALMART. I am an armorer but not a gunsmith and it didn't take any special skills to complete this project.

The old warrior is now the shotgun that I want, with all of the features I want. If you haven't had a rush of tornadoes lately, you might try local pawnshops and gun shows. You can pick up a decent used Mossberg 500 pretty reasonable during the off season for hunting.

Well, to be as simple as possible... I'd suggest a 12ga "tactical" pump. That could be with/with-out a pistol grip, that's up to you. I own both. Being "tactical" the shotgun will have a shorter barrel, compared to your hunting shotguns. I like my 18 1/4 inch barrels. I like to think that 5-6 in the tube is more than I'll need... but, I've added shell carriers to both my home defense shotguns.

One, has two... my Mossberg 500 with a pistol grip/M4 6-position stock has a carrier on the left side of the receiver and one on the right side of the stock. My Remington 870 Tactical just has a nylon one slid onto the butt stock. I like both.

So, the point is... a "tactical" 12ga pump is all you need to start with. The rest is preference.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    [*]Don't be afraid to use sarcasm, mockery and humiliation. They don't respect you. There's no need to pretend you respect them.
    Operation Veterans Relief: http://www.opvr.org/home.html

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast