ar-15
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ar-15

ar-15

to all my fellow gunners, i have a question, if you please? i am getting ready to build an ar-15. i've been looking up parts and have found quite an assortment. i was wondering if someone would explain the differences between a1,a2,a3,a4,m4, and carbine. i want to build a flat top for personal use and would like to build one for matches which i understand can't be a flat top. any definitions and or advice would be greatly honored. thanks
    " GRIZ "
    CCW
    NRA LIFE
    GOA
    Katie Couric, while interviewing a Marine sniper, asked:

'What do you feel when you shoot a Terrorist?'

The Marine shrugged and replied,

'A slight recoil.'

Danny P. (Dan) Creed

Quote Originally Posted by grizlybear45 View Post
    to all my fellow gunners, i have a question, if you please? i am getting ready to build an ar-15. i've been looking up parts and have found quite an assortment. i was wondering if someone would explain the differences between a1,a2,a3,a4,m4, and carbine. i want to build a flat top for personal use and would like to build one for matches which i understand can't be a flat top. any definitions and or advice would be greatly honored. thanks
    I'll admit I do not know everything but I'll try to help out the best I can. I had the same question before I built my first one. An AR gas system comes in carbine, Mid-length, and rifle. Each longer then the one before. From what I have read the longer the gas tube the softer the recoil, more reliable, and gives longer life.

The A1, A2, A3, and A4 all stand for configurations
    -A1 Upper has the non removable carry handle and rear sight.
    -A2 Upper also has the non removable carry handle but the rear sight has an added elevation adjustment knob
    -A3 Upper is the Flat top uppers

Now you also have A1 and A2 butt stocks along with collapsible. I believe the A2 butt stock is slightly longer then the A1 butt stock.

The M4, I believe has the flattop upper, M4 profile barrel, Carbine gas system, and a fatter hand guard.

Here is a good link that explains all the setups:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M16_rifle

Anyone else please feel free to correct me or add to my info. Hope this helps some. If you have any other questions feel free to PM me.
    "When Government fears the people, it's liberty. When people fear the Government, it's tyranny."
    - Benjamin Franklin

The M16 was an initial version first adopted in 1964 by the United States Air Force (USAF). This version had no forward assist. The U.S. Army began to field the XM16E1 en masse in 1965 with most going to Vietnam. The US Marine Corps also adopted the system during this period. The XM16E1 was standardized as the M16A1 in 1967. The A1 had a forward assist. This version remained the primary infantry rifle of the United States military from 1967 until the 1980s, when it was supplemented by the M16A2. During the early 1980s a roughly standardized load for this ammunition was adopted throughout NATO (see: 5.56 mm NATO).
    The M16A3 is a fully-automatic variant of the M16A2, issued primarily within the United States Navy. The M16A2, in turn, is currently being supplemented by the M16A4, which incorporates the flattop receiver unit developed for the M4 Carbine, and Picatinny rail System. Previous versions of the weapon are still in stock and used primarily by reserve and National Guard units in the United States as well as by the U.S. Air Force.

The Air Force also used a version of the M16 called the CAR. Short 12" barrel with a collapsible stock.

More info here. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M16_rifle
    Last edited by Red Hat; 03-19-2008 at 11:51 PM.
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

I just got finished building a 24" bull barrell set up for varminting. I purchased a stripped lower milled POF receiver from a dealer-friend of mine and bought a kit from Model-1 Sales. I would recomend at least checking out their website.
    http://www.model1sales.com/

I'd enclose a pic but I get the message of "Your file of 1.63 MB bytes exceeds the forum's limit of 97.7 KB for this filetype. "

Does anyone in cyber-land know how to reduce the size of a .jpg file?
    later - Sam
    Samurai - "...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

OK, I think I figured out how to reduce the pic size.
    Here's the newest member of my family...
    Attachment 79

Attachment 80

later - sam
    Samurai - "...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

Quote Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
    OK, I think I figured out how to reduce the pic size.
    Here's the newest member of my family...
    Attachment 79

Attachment 80

later - sam
    Nice Rifle Sam! How the Model-1 kit shoot? My next one is going to me a nice 20" bull. Here's my latest build. I'm looking at getting an Aimpoint for it now.

"When Government fears the people, it's liberty. When people fear the Government, it's tyranny."
    - Benjamin Franklin

Nice one KimberPB!
    I want my next build to be something similar to your's.
    Have not taken the Model-1 out yet, as I littterally "Just" finished it.
    My son is coming into town this weekend, and we'll probably go and try it out.
    I hoping to zero it in at 200 yards. We'll see...

thaks

thanks fellows, sam and kimber, both guns look great but for now im going for a carbine. latter i'll build others for whatever hits me. i had one person tell me you can put an a-10 upper on ar-15 lower. i don't know and will about that latter. got to get this monster done first. thanks again everybody!:duim:
    " GRIZ "
    CCW
    NRA LIFE
    GOA
    Katie Couric, while interviewing a Marine sniper, asked:

'What do you feel when you shoot a Terrorist?'

The Marine shrugged and replied,

'A slight recoil.'

Danny P. (Dan) Creed

be sure to check out www.ar15.com theres a wealth of information there with tons of links for parts. they have diagrams/guides whatever you need. i'm sure you've already checked it out by now, but if you haven't be sure to give it a look.

Quote Originally Posted by grizlybear45 View Post
    thanks fellows, sam and kimber, both guns look great but for now im going for a carbine. latter i'll build others for whatever hits me. i had one person tell me you can put an a-10 upper on ar-15 lower. i don't know and will about that latter. got to get this monster done first. thanks again everybody!:duim:

Just to give you a heads up and AR-10 upper will not fit an AR15 lower. An AR10 is chambered for 308 and the 308 mags and meg well is much larger then an AR15 meg well.
    - Benjamin Franklin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast