I'm looking for a good rifle
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm looking for a good rifle

I'm looking for a good rifle

This will be my first long gun. Not for any specific purpose just expanding my collection. I own to many pistols and a shotgun(Winchester W/ red dot).
    Time for a rifle. I do not hunt but it must be able to. I' live in the city so I'd like a short barrel. Lets call it a all purpose defense gun. I've always wanted a Springfield socom 16, but need advice on accuracy issues with the 16" barrel? I relally like the Idea of a semi auto and was also looking at a Ruger mini 14 but think the .223 might be to small of a round. What do you guys think? M.

First of all, a rifle is deffinetly a bad choice for defense. A pistol caliber rifle might be OK, but a handgun or shotgun is ideal. For one, rifle rounds have the potential to fully penetrate a target and into the neighbors house, or miss all together, then you have a big problem when you have to explain why you accidentally shot your neighbor through your wall.
    A .223 is a good round for varmint and small game hunting. Even deer hunting, but if you are into big game, then I recommend a 30-30 or .30-06. Somewhere in that range. I like 7mm for elk. Savage makes a good hunting rifle for a good price, try the model 110. Ruger Mini 14 is a decent firearm, but if you really want a good .223, go with an AR. I've heard there isn't a significant accuracy difference in a 16" AR as opposed to 20". But I couldn't tell you from personal experience, I only own a 16". Also, with ammo prices the way they are, sadly, that should be taken into consideration. .223 ammo goes from around $8 to $18 for 20 rnds. While higher caliber hunting rounds can go for much more. A decent .22LR will provide cheap shooting, and small game hunting as well. Ruger 10/22 is the most well known semi-auto .22, and many upgrades are available. Rifles are great for hunting and target practice, but again, don't use it for home defense.
    Last edited by Cooter; 03-20-2008 at 09:33 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]In order to rally people, governments need enemies. They want us to be afraid, to hate, so we will rally behind them. And if they don't have a real enemy, they'll invent one in order to mobilize us.

Sorry forgot to say ,

It's not for home defense just if society melts down, or just to go have fun in the woods. I use my Kahr cw45 for my HD>

AIM Surplus has WASR AKs with folding stock for $350 (as of 04/20/08) I just got one, haven't had the chance to shoot it. Kind of cheesy, but worth what I paid for it. At the price I wasn't expecting a Robinson Armament VEPR. I'm figuring you don't want to drop the money for a Krebs Custom Kalashnikov. You say it's not for HD but for SHTF and outdoor fun. SKS is another good choice when beauty and elegance aren't part of the equation. 7.62X39 will work for deer with hunting ammo- not much different from .30-30. I'm looking at the WASR as a boudoir and trunk gun.
    Better to perish in the struggle for freedom than live to see defeat. There ARE things to be feared more than death. The fyrd is a Constitutional imperative.

I think the Springfield would be a good choice if you feel the need for the larger 308 cal. In an urban environment for the shorter distance that it would most be used for 223 might be a better choice. If I had the money and wanted a 223 I would go with the Sig rifle but they are quite expensive.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

i suggest

Mak-90 7.62x39mm It Is A Varient Of The Ak-47. And It Is A Tough Rifle To Boot. You Can Do Nearly Anything To It And It Will Fire Perfectly. Just My .02 Worth...

Had a mini 14 slod it for money for my Ar-15(should have never sold it. Shouldn't EVER sell firearms period). Also have a 30-06 If I had to chose one I'd choose the AR. had decent long range with excelent round capacity. I have half a dozen 30 roung mags. If you go with the AR I recommend the Mag-Pull pollymer mags. They're indestructable.

I love my AR. One nice thing to think about is once you buy one you can always get another upper and with a push of 2 pins have a completely different rifle. You could always buy a complete 16" .223 for practice and small game. Then buy a 20" 6.5 grendel or 6.8 Remington SPC upper for larger game. My buddy even has an upper in .22 lr for practice.

I have a 16" lightweight .223 with an eotech and can hit bowling pins at 100 yd without a problem.
    "When Government fears the people, it's liberty. When people fear the Government, it's tyranny."
    - Benjamin Franklin

+1 on the Magpuls. I have a couple, they are wonderful. Should be standard issue to GI's, IMO.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]In order to rally people, governments need enemies. They want us to be afraid, to hate, so we will rally behind them. And if they don't have a real enemy, they'll invent one in order to mobilize us.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    +1 on the Magpuls. I have a couple, they are wonderful. Should be standard issue to GI's, IMO.
    I agree they should be too. They're the same price as GI anyway. KimberPB do you have to change the mag well or do you just have different mags?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast