.30-06 - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .30-06

Quote Originally Posted by festus View Post
    I think that a .308 that has not been shot is definitely crying for a goos scoping and shooting. I saw a very affordable scope at wally world that comes with target turrets, ill. reticle and mil-dots. for $70.00ish bucks.:50:

This is an excellent choice if you are on a tight budget like we are.:i:
    Thanks festus. I am putting that near the top of my to do list. It would make a good long distance gun.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Everyone has their "Faves", just like handguns. One man's trash is another's treasure. The variety of ammo types for the 30.06 is impressive, but all of the previously mentioned calibers are worthy of ownership. Good advice has been given in the previous threads: try as many as you can, read the forums and listen to what people are saying. There's a lot of firsthand experience that can help you, then make an informed decision. I'm betting you will be pleased with whichever you finally decide on.

Oh yeah, there's an old adage that states: There ain't much a man can't fix with $700 and a 30.06.

Good luck with your search; let us know what transpires.
    I know a man by the name of Mel;
    he can't see but he sure do smell.

Quote Originally Posted by Skindad88 View Post
    Depends on what you plan on hunting. A 30-06 will cover most big game that you find here stateside. That is what I shoot, there is a wide variety of rounds that you can use. A 308 is pretty much the same round, except that the .308 is mostly military/police usage, so you will be hard pressed to find anything but FMJ type rounds for it. Some places these are NOT allowed for hunting.
    I shoot a Tikka T3 in 30-06, and a buddy of mine has the same rifle chambered in .270. Both are very good rifles, neither of us has any problems with them. They may not be the most expensive, or most known name brand, but they still put rounds into the pie pan...
    Actually I think the military round is 7.62 and the civilian round is 308 so there should be quite a few choices in it. I am not sure how much difference there is between the two. Perhaps someone can expound on this a little bit.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Thumbs up The difference between .308 and 7.62 NATO

Quote Originally Posted by HK4U View Post
    Actually I think the military round is 7.62 and the civilian round is 308 so there should be quite a few choices in it. I am not sure how much difference there is between the two. Perhaps someone can expound on this a little bit.
    There is a .0001 difference in case length and considering that this difference is in the middle of the go nogo tolerance they are interchangeable for one another. If you look at the cartridge interchangeability charts the and SAAMI specs you'll find the biggest difference is that the 7.62 NATO has thicker brass and this usually accounts for the ability to feed M-60's and M-240's.

CAUTION...WARNING...DANGER WILL ROBINSON...DANGER

If you are reloading 7.62 NATO Brass, Start at the lowest suggested powder charge and work your way up. The thicker case means less capacity and higher pressures result faster.

As for loads,

Federal makes avery thing from 150gr FMJ, 150gr Soft Point, 165gr Trophy bonded bear claw, Nosler accubonds, and Sierra 168gr Match.

Winchester is equally diverse and impressive in the selection it offers...to many to name.

Remington has many choices as well.

Blackhills has great match-grade loads including a very good copy of the M118LR

Wolf is my last choice of ammo in any event short of global collapse.:sly:

I prefer to handload for .308 as I like a 180gr Matchgrade bullet at 2555FPS (slightly slower but easier on the barrel and my shoulder while maintaining Supersonic velocity past 1000 yards.

Hornady's SST is a great choice as is Nosler's Ballistic tip.

Military ammo includes

146/147gr Ball
    147gr Tracer (orange tip)
    147gr API Armour Piercing Incendiary
    147gr Incendiary (not used much since Viet-Nam)
    173gr match (M118) FMJ boattail
    175gr match (M118LR) Sierra Matchking (current SNIPER round of choice)
    FESTUS
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

Thanks festus for the information. I was pretty sure there were some difference but could not remember the details.

7. If you got a 3006 and did not like it install a converson 308 unit in your gun. Shell puller will retreve it.

Exclamation Not a good thing!

Quote Originally Posted by kwo51 View Post
    If you got a 3006 and did not like it install a converson 308 unit in your gun. Shell puller will retreve it.
    I mean you no disrespect in writing this but those little metal donuts can damage the chamber on your gun in the event that they get a piece of grit in there during installation. They can also scratch a chamber during removal. Finally if the dimensions are the least bit off, an excessive headspace condition can exist with catastrophic results.

At a minimum you just pushed the round back about a half inch and the bullet must fly freestyle to the throat, and swage itself in the barrel at what may not be the most accuracy advantageous angle. This can completely disappoint you with turning a fine shooting minute of angle 30-06 into a Minute of Barndoor excuse for a thunderstick.
    FESTUS
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12