.30-06
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .30-06

.30-06

I need a good hunting rifle. I've pretty much decided on a .30-06. seems to be a good all round caliber with many different loads and grains to choose from. I have been looking at the ruger m77 in stainless. but I would appreciate any input on a good rifle. thanks!
    You can have my freedom as soon as I'm done with it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow View Post
    I need a good hunting rifle. I've pretty much decided on a .30-06. seems to be a good all round caliber with many different loads and grains to choose from. I have been looking at the ruger m77 in stainless. but I would appreciate any input on a good rifle. thanks!
    I have a Ruger M77 in .270. The rifle was manufactured in 1969. Despite the rifle being a few years older than I am, it shoots great. I'm not too big on hunting calibers larger than .308. For my hunting purposes, the .270 works well. Ruger rifles are an excellent choice. Well made and very durable.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

Look at the weatherby vanguard and 3006 is every where.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarecrow View Post
    Depends on what your hunting conditions are.....a .270 is a great one to consider as well. It's probably cheaper, as well as readily available ammo.

Brush gun? Hard to beat a .30-30

Shop around......
    Victory rewards not the army that fires the most rounds, but who is the more accurate shot. ---Unknown

I have got a 308 that I have had for years and never shot. Just need to scope it out. I think it is a pretty good all around cal also.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Depends on what you plan on hunting. A 30-06 will cover most big game that you find here stateside. That is what I shoot, there is a wide variety of rounds that you can use. A 308 is pretty much the same round, except that the .308 is mostly military/police usage, so you will be hard pressed to find anything but FMJ type rounds for it. Some places these are NOT allowed for hunting.
    I shoot a Tikka T3 in 30-06, and a buddy of mine has the same rifle chambered in .270. Both are very good rifles, neither of us has any problems with them. They may not be the most expensive, or most known name brand, but they still put rounds into the pie pan...

Actually there are many different rounds available for hunting in the .308 caliber. Here's a link to the "Cheaper Than Dirt" website: http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/defenseh_bcd.htm

As a hunting guide and an avid hunter, I assure you that both the .30-06 and .308 are excellent choices. My personal preference between the two would be the .308 simply because I have a rifle chambered in .308. Like personal protection guns, it's best that you sample a variety of rifles before you make your final decision.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

Talking Make sure you use weaver or picatinny mounts

Quote Originally Posted by HK4U View Post
    I have got a 308 that I have had for years and never shot. Just need to scope it out. I think it is a pretty good all around cal also.
    I think that a .308 that has not been shot is definitely crying for a goos scoping and shooting. I saw a very affordable scope at wally world that comes with target turrets, ill. reticle and mil-dots. for $70.00ish bucks.:50:

This is an excellent choice if you are on a tight budget like we are.:i:
    FESTUS
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

If I was going to have just one rifle to hunt with it would probably the 30-06. I have hunted from Farwell Alaska to Del Rio Texas and most states in between and I cant think of a single town where you could not get 30-06 ammo.You can load heavy enough for Elk or light enough for coyotes. The Ruger m-77 is a good choice.

30-06 is a great choice for North American game even though there are other valid choices. There are many excellent choices for appropriate rifles as well. Look at a bunch, shoot some if you can, and decide what you like. If you then have specific questions about load / firearm repost.

Enjoy picking out a new rifle and let us know what you decide on.
    People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome.--River Tam

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast