AK Romy Kits
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: AK Romy Kits

  1. AK Romy Kits

    I just got 2 AK 1970's Romy Kits. I am really excited about building these.

    Just finished breaking down the furniture for refinishing. Receivers are on order, and all the other compliance parts are ready.

    This will be my first foray into anything like this.
    "Always at your command"
    "לפקודה תמיד אנחנו"

  2.   
  3. #2
    Congats on the new projects. Post pics when you're finished.

  4. Quote Originally Posted by FBMG Smithy View Post
    Congats on the new projects. Post pics when you're finished.
    Will do.

    I have a friend that is a Class lll manufacturer and he is going to parkerize the receivers. I have been looking at the Brownells Moly/Teflon in Dark Gray for the other parts. Do you have any experience with this, or any suggestions?
    "Always at your command"
    "לפקודה תמיד אנחנו"

  5. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Palmach View Post
    Will do.

    I have a friend that is a Class lll manufacturer and he is going to parkerize the receivers. I have been looking at the Brownells Moly/Teflon in Dark Gray for the other parts. Do you have any experience with this, or any suggestions?
    Its a pretty good finish. I would just have him parkerize the whole gun. It's the original finish anyway.

  6. Quote Originally Posted by FBMG Smithy View Post
    Its a pretty good finish. I would just have him parkerize the whole gun. It's the original finish anyway.
    He does not do the Park in house, as his business is AR's and he uses Moly.

    He doe not think we should be wasting a lot on these, as he sees them as truck guns.

    Anyway, a couple of us want to make them look a little nicer, so thought we would go with the the Moly or Alumahyde from Brownells
    "Always at your command"
    "לפקודה תמיד אנחנו"

  7. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Palmach View Post
    He does not do the Park in house, as his business is AR's and he uses Moly.

    He doe not think we should be wasting a lot on these, as he sees them as truck guns.

    Anyway, a couple of us want to make them look a little nicer, so thought we would go with the the Moly or Alumahyde from Brownells
    Check into it yourself but you shouldn't be charged any more for having the internals parked. Most people just have one charge for a rifle.

  8. We are doing the Park on receiver and all internals because he thinks it does a better job of getting into all the nooks and crannies. He produces AR types and uses moly for them.

    He just doesn't think we should be spending all that money on what he considers a truck gun.

    We thought the moly teflon or alumahyde would be a good affordable finish that we could apply ourselves in order to keep the cost of the build down. As you might know, the cost of kits is no longer that cheap.
    "Always at your command"
    "לפקודה תמיד אנחנו"

  9. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Palmach View Post
    We are doing the Park on receiver and all internals because he thinks it does a better job of getting into all the nooks and crannies. He produces AR types and uses moly for them.

    He just doesn't think we should be spending all that money on what he considers a truck gun.

    We thought the moly teflon or alumahyde would be a good affordable finish that we could apply ourselves in order to keep the cost of the build down. As you might know, the cost of kits is no longer that cheap.
    Yes, but keep in mind that for a proper cure you need to bake the finish on. You may be able to hang the barreled reciever from an oven rack but do it when your wife (if you're married) isn't home. It will smell a little.

  10. Quote Originally Posted by FBMG Smithy View Post
    Yes, but keep in mind that for a proper cure you need to bake the finish on. You may be able to hang the barreled reciever from an oven rack but do it when your wife (if you're married) isn't home. It will smell a little.
    I knew about the baking and I am married to a woman with a sensitive nose, believe me I have thought of that.

    I think he may have an oven at ths shop that we can use. We got a kit for him as well, so we are planning an AK & Pizza party when the receivers come in. I am lucky that I have access to his shop and his skills to walk us through this

    Thanks for your input.
    "Always at your command"
    "לפקודה תמיד אנחנו"

  11. #10
    that's pretty cool.. I'd love to do something like that.
    You can have my freedom as soon as I'm done with it!!!

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast