RUGER Mini 14 - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RUGER Mini 14

Quote Originally Posted by jcreek View Post
    I find extremely difficult to believe that in 4 years in the army, your m16 never jammed once. Did you ever actually shoot it lol? I clean my rifle before and after every live range and I get at least 4-5 jams per 1000 rds. To be fair I blame 90% of that on the garbage ammo we use (my personal ARs jam much less frequently using decent ammo) but none the less, M-16s jam..a lot. Direct impingement is a horrible system.
    Not 1 failure and I shot thousands of rounds both in Full Auto and Semi. Day 1 we had a guy in our platoon who was a Nam vet. He showed us how to break down the bolt and clean it with SAND.. Sand, the magical scrubber, polisher, metal reducing SAND. We all thought he was KaRaZy when he picked up a hand full of sand and began to rub his bolt in his hands like you would make a snake with Play-dough. You hand will get very hot but handful after handful of sand would clean those bolts like you would never believe. His Name was Johnson and he was heavily decorated. He had tricks for every piece of that gun. I would imagine there are other Nam vets running around on this Forum that have tricks you and I would never dream of.
    So, Get some good old Sand, take your bolt apart, fill your hand with sand, put one part at a time in the sand, rub your hands together in a rapid motion allowing the sand to slowly escape your hands, refill, and keep going until each piece is clean, smooth, shiny, and has not a speck of carbon on it.
    Obviously we had to use cloths, pipe cleaners, oil, bits of old T-Shirts, but it was the buffing after every use that I contribute to the fine functioning of not only mine, but 40 of our weapons.
    *NOTE: Had the Armor ever seen this I am sure there would have been hell to pay.
    May The Lord Continue To Bless & Keep Our Fine Military Vets.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state,
    the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

I find extremely difficult to believe that in 4 years in the army, your m16 never jammed once. Did you ever actually shoot it lol? I clean my rifle before and after every live range and I get at least 4-5 jams per 1000 rds. To be fair I blame 90% of that on the garbage ammo we use (my personal ARs jam much less frequently using decent ammo) but none the less, M-16s jam..a lot. Direct impingement is a horrible system.
    To be fair.... Who made your rifle?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    Time to add FireMarshall Bill to the block list.

Quote Originally Posted by Warbirds View Post

....LOL.... Well, I guess that's fair.

Quote Originally Posted by Kramer1113 View Post
    ....LOL.... Well, I guess that's fair.
    That is a question. Are you complaining about a Del Ton jamming or is it a LMT?

What company manufactured your rifle?

Time to add FireMarshall Bill to the block list.

In my years of service and combat tour in afghan, I have had a CATM M16-A2 jam on me about a dozen times while qualifying... I blamed it on the weapons being older than I was in a lot of cases. There is no telling how many rounds had been put through those qualifying weapons, probably hundreds of thousands. As to my M4, we maintained our weapons like our life depended on it, b/c it did... duh, we all know that. I had that issued M4 jam on me twice during my tour, both during an exchange with insurgent forces in N.E. Afghan while on FOB Shank. They were easily cleared malfunctions, both failures to go into battery(of course, right). One was fixed by palming the forward assist, the other I had to actually drop the mag, rack, reinsert, rack again and continue... luckily, I had hesco cover to hide behind.

However, I met an SF Sgt there who packed an under-folder AKM instead of an M4... their small teams had good reasons to have a variety of weapons while out on missions that us, regular folk didn't need. Anyway, he expressed to me after I'd asked, that he had never had a single malfunction with this weapon. He said it went bang every time he needed it to. He said he only cleaned it when he wasn't "Oscar Mike"... which varied greatly, it didn't matter. We(regular folk), on the other hand, cleaned our M4s after every engagement b/c we knew it needed to be done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    [*]Don't be afraid to use sarcasm, mockery and humiliation. They don't respect you. There's no need to pretend you respect them.
    Operation Veterans Relief: http://www.opvr.org/home.html

Quote Originally Posted by Warbirds View Post

All the current A4s we have (or that I've seen) are made by FN with certain parts being made by Knight's Armament. And I've actually seen the sand thing. Cleans the hard carbon pretty well but you're right, armorers would flip if they saw it. Like I said I think most of it is the ammo. Almost every round has dented brass. Even with my PMAGS, which I've never had jam in my ARs (one's a bushmaster the other's a custom i built off of noveske receivers) I get misfeeds. Usually it's the round jamming into the locking lugs. I'd polish the feed ramps if they'd let me. =\

All the current A4s we have (or that I've seen) are made by FN with certain parts being made by Knight's Armament. And I've actually seen the sand thing. Cleans the hard carbon pretty well but you're right, armorers would flip if they saw it. Like I said I think most of it is the ammo. Almost every round has dented brass. Even with my PMAGS, which I've never had jam in my ARs (one's a bushmaster the other's a custom i built off of noveske receivers) I get misfeeds. Usually it's the round jamming into the locking lugs. I'd polish the feed ramps if they'd let me. =\
    Wait, Wait, Wait... We were supposed to ask permission?

It may have been a matter of ammo type, Magazine quality, whatever, I just know that old boy knew his stuff.
    God Bless Our Vets.

RUGER Mini 14

Haha I know, I know..I'd do it if I could but the CWO who runs our Armory is freaking nutjob. Almost all of our armorers have lost rank at least once because of him, some for good reason (leaving the armory door open all weekend), and some for no reason (losing NVGs in the field when in reality the stupidass Staff NCOS had just miscounted.) Because of this our current armorers inspect the weapons ALL the time.

10. I love my mini14 it is the ranch model SS. It is not extremely accurate as someone in the group pointed out. At times I wonder if the barrel is bent(its not). I put a 3x9x50 scope on it and it is better although heavier. I have never had a malfunction just plinking and hunting. The bolt handle rattles when you walk so you either have to control your footsteps when hunting or hold the slide release handle. I have shot Colt AR15s all of my adult life at work and prefer them with the noted exceptions about how dirty they get. The mini 14 is easier for me to clean. As for AR's being more expensive depends on the manufacturer. There are some good small companies putting out inexpensive rifles that are well made they just don't carry that big name brand. Anyway you won't go wrong with a Mini14 they are good guns in my opinion.

My next major rifle purchase should be a Mini 14. I was right there and decided on the Colt AR. My decision was based on 5.56 VS .223. Now I have a lot of .223 ammo anyway so the Mini is still my dream machine. I also need to find one at a good price. Maybe I'll stumble upon a gently used one some time in the future.
    Don't get me wrong, I love my LE6920 but I've wanted a Mini for a very long time.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast