RUGER Mini 14
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RUGER Mini 14

RUGER Mini 14

I have to admit I only scrolled through 6 pages of posts not seeing the Mini 14 mentioned so I thought I would start a new thread.

I have done a fair amount of reading, some video watching, but have yet to have my hands on a Ruger Mini 14.
    I guess I'm what they call a "Ruger Fan Boy". Its my fathers fault really (Wow, I sounded like a Liberal there for a moment, Blame the innocent).
    I Love my Rugers and Believe in the company, their products, and their continuation to make a great Made in the USA Product.
    So, My conclusion based on this bias and my wallet, is that the Ruger Mini 14 Ranch Rifle is going to be my .223.

I Loved my M16 when I was in the United States Army. Never a Jam or failure of any kind. (Served 1980-1984). But an AR is really out of my price range.

I would appreciate input as to the likes and dislikes of the Ranch Rifle version. Wood Stock for me, I don't mind the extra weight and its more affordable.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state,
    the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

I have the wood stock model. Doesn't scare the liberals as much as the black plastic ones do. I only wish they made them to take the AR mags. Oh well can't have every thing.
    "You can get a lot accomplished if you don't care who gets the credit" - Ronald Reagan

Here is a question for those of you familiar with these rifles. When it comes to a TEOTWAWKI long gun would you take an AK...which runs forever. An AR that is good for longer range and as accurate as you can shoot. And a Mini14, which I don't know that much about. My main question is the operating system of the 14 compared to the AR. Is it more reliable and less prone to the real or perceived probs of the AR?
    Thanks. Should keep this thread alive for awhile.
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member
    NRA Certified RSO

Check out Hickcock45 on youtube .................

Quote Originally Posted by Kramer1113 View Post
    I have to admit I only scrolled through 6 pages of posts not seeing the Mini 14 mentioned so I thought I would start a new thread.

I have done a fair amount of reading, some video watching, but have yet to have my hands on a Ruger Mini 14.
    I guess I'm what they call a "Ruger Fan Boy". Its my fathers fault really (Wow, I sounded like a Liberal there for a moment, Blame the innocent).
    I Love my Rugers and Believe in the company, their products, and their continuation to make a great Made in the USA Product.
    So, My conclusion based on this bias and my wallet, is that the Ruger Mini 14 Ranch Rifle is going to be my .223.

I Loved my M16 when I was in the United States Army. Never a Jam or failure of any kind. (Served 1980-1984). But an AR is really out of my price range.

I would appreciate input as to the likes and dislikes of the Ranch Rifle version. Wood Stock for me, I don't mind the extra weight and its more affordable.
    Okay, first off... I love the Ruger Mini(s), the 14 and the 30. I have wanted one for years but the purchase has escaped me for one reason or another. I have fired them every so often and enjoyed it every time. My Father has a Mini-14 with a bull barrel and scope, it makes a hell of a "critter getter" and we've even used it for whitetail. The Mini-30 is awesome, if you like 7.62x39 anyway. The Mini has very few 'flaws' that to me, just add to its personality. They are very reliable, much like the M1A or AK... by nature of the gas system and looser tolerances. That there, however, is what some dislike about it... the loose tolerances. A standard Mini-14 can actually chamber .222, .223 & .224 Remington, accuracy with each would be correspondingly different. The Mini-14(& 30) in stock trim, are NOT tack drivers. I compare them to the AK as far as standard MOA goes, they're "combat accurate" and nothing more. Another stinker, magizines... they are expensive and at times tough to find. However, I actually do prefer them over the AR, for my own reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by CapGun View Post
    Here is a question for those of you familiar with these rifles. When it comes to a TEOTWAWKI long gun would you take an AK...which runs forever. An AR that is good for longer range and as accurate as you can shoot. And a Mini14, which I don't know that much about. My main question is the operating system of the 14 compared to the AR. Is it more reliable and less prone to the real or perceived probs of the AR?
    Thanks. Should keep this thread alive for awhile.
    In SHTF, WROL or all other TEOTWAWKI scenarios... I choose the AK, I made my mind up about that after Afghan. Now, is the Mini more reliable than an AR? To put this into perspective or context, here we go... If both weapons are firing good, clean ammo and are properly maintained they'll both run forever under typical combat engagements. If both are firing good, clean ammo but are neglected the AR WILL malfunction first in most scenarios due to its gas system, in time... it could be after 500rds or 2000rds, depends. If both weapons are firing dirty ammo, but are properly maintained... you will see good results, generally. If both weapons are firing dirty ammo and are NOT maintained, the AR WILL malfunction first in most cases... again, due to the gas system. However, if you have a piston driven AR... it will run with the best of 'em using whatever ammo you want! Now, what I said is not the end-all, be-all for what will happen... I have seen AKs jam too, hell... I've made them jam before. But, in general, b/c of the direct impingement gas system of the AR... if not properly maintained, it will jam. The AR requires a lot of care, when it's cared for... it's near perfect. If it's neglected, you will have problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    [*]Don't be afraid to use sarcasm, mockery and humiliation. They don't respect you. There's no need to pretend you respect them.
    Operation Veterans Relief: http://www.opvr.org/home.html

[*]Don't be afraid to use sarcasm, mockery and humiliation. They don't respect you. There's no need to pretend you respect them.

Those Hickock45 Videos have been watched on my end several times! I wish I had his range.

Quote Originally Posted by gunnerbob View Post
    Okay, first off... I love the Ruger Mini(s), the 14 and the 30. Another stinker, magizines... they are expensive and at times tough to find. However, I actually do prefer them over the AR, for my own reasons.

Nuttinfancy eventually address the Magazine issue in this video.
    There are other options other than Ruger Magazines, some good, some not good at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Kramer1113 View Post

I find extremely difficult to believe that in 4 years in the army, your m16 never jammed once. Did you ever actually shoot it lol? I clean my rifle before and after every live range and I get at least 4-5 jams per 1000 rds. To be fair I blame 90% of that on the garbage ammo we use (my personal ARs jam much less frequently using decent ammo) but none the less, M-16s jam..a lot. Direct impingement is a horrible system.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast