Pistol grip vs. Buttstock

View Poll Results: Your prefered shotgun setup?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pistol Grip only

3 7.32%
  • Standard buttstock (no pistol grip)

22 53.66%
  • Collapsible with pistol grip

12 29.27%
  • Folder (top or side)

4 9.76%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pistol grip vs. Buttstock

Pistol grip vs. Buttstock

Ok this was kinda brought up in another thread so instead of thread jacking I figured I'd start a new thread. What is your preferred setup for your home defense shotgun? What are the benefits of a pistol grip over a full buttstock and vise versa? I'm planning on getting a shotgun soon and still have not decided between a collapsible stock or just a pistol grip. So it'll be interesting to here everyone’s opinions.
    "When Government fears the people, it's liberty. When people fear the Government, it's tyranny."
    - Benjamin Franklin

I like a full stock with a pistol grip. Although at real close range shooting from the hip might work from longer distances even a shot gun should be aimed. Don't know if any of you have ever tried holding a pistol grip shot gun up to eye level to aim and shoot but you can ask both my older brother and my son what can happen when you do that. Can you say fat lip. I think on my next shot gun I will get the Knoxx Stock. See link below.

http://www.officer.com/web/online/On-the-Street/Knoxx-Stocks/21$40768
    Last edited by HK4U; 08-12-2008 at 02:36 PM. Reason: spelling
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

I was thinking along the same lines as you HK. For inside the house were space may be limited; doorways, hallways, ect, and shoots will most like be under 20' a pistol grip may prove to be beneficial. But if you may need to take longer more accurate shots a buttstock would be a most.
    "When Government fears the people, it's liberty. When people fear the Government, it's tyranny."
    - Benjamin Franklin

True. What I like about a stock like the Knoxx is it is collapsable so you could make it almost as small as one with pistol grip only and still have the advantage of a full length stock when needed.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

I have the Knoxx on order, so I'll post a review once I've had a chance to check it out.

I've owned the Knoxx Spec Ops stock on my Tac Rem 870 for 3 years now and still love it.

8. I am going with the Knoxx for my Mossburge 500. If I was to go with the grip only I would use low recoil ammo.
    Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant'
    is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist '.

3" mag slugs and oo from a pistol grip shotgun are really hard on the hands.

I voted for Standard buttstock (no pistol grip) but with an 18" barrel. With a stock I can still shoot from the hip or shoot from my shoulder with more control and comfort. I have several pistol grips with folding stock and just plain pistol grips but still prefer a common stock.
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

I noticed that the poll did not include a standard buttstock with a pistol grip, which was how I purchased my Mossberg 500A. You also could have included an option of two pistol grips, including one on the forend, which is my setup. I prefer a pistol grip with no stock because it makes maneuvering around the house a lot easier.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast