newbie to rifles... help!

Thread: newbie to rifles... help!

I have never owned a rifle but I would like to buy one soon.
    I am hoping for one with a detachable box magazine, it can be used too.
    I'll only have $500 to spend!
    Any help and advice will be appreciated, thank you up front.

You should find a buddy selling one or wait another few months for the prices to come down....

You didn't give any details about exactly what kind you're wanting.... more details please!
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    [*]Don't be afraid to use sarcasm, mockery and humiliation. They don't respect you. There's no need to pretend you respect them.
    Operation Veterans Relief: http://www.opvr.org/home.html

^^ sound advice. Wait for a while and things should be back to normal.

One other thing I always consider is using nato rounds. 223, 7.62x39, 30-06, 308.....
    -Austin

The big question is so you want a semi or a bolt action?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    Time to add FireMarshall Bill to the block list.

^^^What they said.^^^^ Need way more details. You're going to be hard pressed to find a centerfire semi auto rifle for under $500 right now. Plenty of bolts out there though. You can get a new Savage for under $500 and they are great rifles. Remington has a few. Might even find a slightly used Weatherby for that price.

Sorry about the lack if info. I was thinking along the lines of something like an SKS or similar.
    I would like a semi auto rather than a bolt action and would also like a minimum of say ten rounds.
    I know the SKS has a fixed(?) ten round magazine so that's not too bad.
    I don't hunt do I would like this rifle for defense.
    Let me know if you need more info!

You may have just answered your own question... good luck finding an SKS, let alone for under $500.

Kel-Tec SU-16s are traditionally around $600, now their around $1000... if you find one at all.

AKMs are traditionally around $600 as well, unless you find one of those deals for a WASR 10/63 for $450 out of the box. Again, I don't think you'll find one now for the cash you have.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    [*]Don't be afraid to use sarcasm, mockery and humiliation. They don't respect you. There's no need to pretend you respect them.
    Operation Veterans Relief: http://www.opvr.org/home.html

Last sks I bought was for 150. Lol. Couldnt get rid of that thing fast enough. My romanian wasr 10/63 on the other hand. Me likey. Some old english polish (with ink) and a few coats of poly and it looks better than new.

Molon Labe
    -Austin