Regular scope on AR question - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Regular scope on AR question

Gawd... rich kids....

;)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    [*]Don't be afraid to use sarcasm, mockery and humiliation. They don't respect you. There's no need to pretend you respect them.
    Operation Veterans Relief: http://www.opvr.org/home.html

3. Quote Originally Posted by gunnerbob View Post
    Gawd... rich kids....

;)
    Ha far from it. Just changed my major during my senior year and had to pretty much start over so they're giving me incentives to get done as soon as possible. Their logic...spend a couple hundred here might save us a couple thousand down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by AndeyHall View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnerbob View Post
    Gawd... rich kids....

;)
    Ha far from it. Just changed my major during my senior year and had to pretty much start over so they're giving me incentives to get done as soon as possible. Their logic...spend a couple hundred here might save us a couple thousand down the road.
    They're still paying for your college lol.. My parents are well off and told me to pay for my own damn school if I wanted to go. They've also made it very clear that they plan on leaving most of their estate to charity when they pass. I love working for a living, but I'm not cut out for white collar jobs. I'd go insane in an office. Therefore, I have next to no chance of ever making anything on par with them. Makes my expensive hobbies a little harder to obtain lol.

5. Quote Originally Posted by jcreek View Post
    They're still paying for your college lol.. My parents are well off and told me to pay for my own damn school if I wanted to go. They've also made it very clear that they plan on leaving most of their estate to charity when they pass. I love working for a living, but I'm not cut out for white collar jobs. I'd go insane in an office. Therefore, I have next to no chance of ever making anything on par with them. Makes my expensive hobbies a little harder to obtain lol.
    You must have had a damn good job then...I get paid really good for a part time job and even if I worked 40 hours a week it wouldn't come close to paying for living expenses and school. It's either that or no school at all. I think in today's day and age, college is pretty much a given. If you aren't willing to pay for your kids to go knowing they probably will want to, then you probably shouldn't have kids.

Plus they weren't too pissed about it since the majority of it was paid through scholarships and what not, so they're just now having to pay and it's only for another year and a half. I'd say they're getting a sweet deal. It would probably be a whole different story if I was barely getting by, but I don't disappoint in the grade department.

6. Here's the finished product btw.
    Regular scope on AR question-imageuploadedbytapatalk1371060643.821615.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by jcreek View Post
    You must have had a damn good job then...I get paid really good for a part time job and even if I worked 40 hours a week it wouldn't come close to paying for living expenses and school. It's either that or no school at all. I think in today's day and age, college is pretty much a given. If you aren't willing to pay for your kids to go knowing they probably will want to, then you probably shouldn't have kids.

Plus they weren't too pissed about it since the majority of it was paid through scholarships and what not, so they're just now having to pay and it's only for another year and a half. I'd say they're getting a sweet deal. It would probably be a whole different story if I was barely getting by, but I don't disappoint in the grade department.
    I completely disagree. I know tons of people who's parents were not going to pay for college. They might give them an interest free loan but they expect it to be paid back. It's not cause they're greedy it's about earning your own way and teaching a work ethic. I had a few friends in HS whose parents paid for everything including college. One of them didn't get his first job until he was 24 flipping burgers (arts degree) and another dropped out and blew his college fund on heroin. I'm in no way saying that you or everybody whose parents pay for college is like that, I'm just saying it never hurts to instill a work ethic early. If you know where you look you can go to a decent school with just about any full time job. Lots of programs out there.

8. Quote Originally Posted by jcreek View Post
    I completely disagree. I know tons of people who's parents were not going to pay for college. They might give them an interest free loan but they expect it to be paid back. It's not cause they're greedy it's about earning your own way and teaching a work ethic. I had a few friends in HS whose parents paid for everything including college. One of them didn't get his first job until he was 24 flipping burgers (arts degree) and another dropped out and blew his college fund on heroin. I'm in no way saying that you or everybody whose parents pay for college is like that, I'm just saying it never hurts to instill a work ethic early. If you know where you look you can go to a decent school with just about any full time job. Lots of programs out there.
    I pay for everything except school. There's no way I could have the time or the money to stack that in there.

It's just very peeving how a lot of people have a very condescending way of telling how they had to pay for their own way when they hear my parents voluntarily pay for some of my stuff. I get it all the time.

I pay for everything except school. There's no way I could have the time or the money to stack that in there.

It's just very peeving how a lot of people have a very condescending way of telling how they had to pay for their own way when they hear my parents voluntarily pay for some of my stuff. I get it all the time.
    People gave me grief too. My school was my job. My parents are also well off, and any school I wanted to go to was paid for. I always held another full time job outside of school. I also volunteered at the local fire department wherever I lived. I was either always on the dean's list or vice presidents list 3.8 - 4.0 GPA. My older brother followed the same path as me. We both now have very well paying jobs.

My younger brother took a different path. He focused solely in school. He joined Crew in college, got a scholarship for that. He now manages a Uniqulo store (largest clothing store in the world) in the States. Works nearly 80 hours a week.

Both my brothers and I plan on paying for our children's schooling.

Those that had schooling paid for do not lack a work ethic. That can be instilled in a child other ways.
    “One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive one.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

10. Quote Originally Posted by Firefighterchen View Post
    People gave me grief too. My school was my job. My parents are also well off, and any school I wanted to go to was paid for. I always held another full time job outside of school. I also volunteered at the local fire department wherever I lived. I was either always on the dean's list or vice presidents list 3.8 - 4.0 GPA. My older brother followed the same path as me. We both now have very well paying jobs.

My younger brother took a different path. He focused solely in school. He joined Crew in college, got a scholarship for that. He now manages a Uniqulo store (largest clothing store in the world) in the States. Works nearly 80 hours a week.

Both my brothers and I plan on paying for our children's schooling.

Those that had schooling paid for do not lack a work ethic. That can be instilled in a child other ways.
    Exactly! I think most of the problems with college kids can be traced back to lack of discipline rather than having their things paid for. To do well in school takes just as much work ethic as a job, if not more. I mean hell, the majority of people put in their 8 hours a day and then go home without giving it another minute's thought. I put in that or more AT school, then have to go home just to do even more when I get there. 60-80 hours a week working on school work sounds about right for any well disciplined college student.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefighterchen View Post
    I didn't mean to insinuate that all necessarily do. I definitely agree that work ethic can be instilled several ways. Including using a college fund as an incentive. I was just saying, I've seen the effects of parents not installing a work ethic in their kids.

My parents "spoiled" me when I was growing up but only if I earned it. Hell, my dad footed the bill for my pilot's license training, which wasn't cheap, when I was 17. But I was also working 65 hours a week between two separate jobs and going to HS full time.

Maybe it was because they were kind of pissed off that I moved out and in with my girlfriend at 17, but they pretty much cut me off and said you're on your own when I graduated.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast