Regular scope on AR question - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Regular scope on AR question

Andy, you made a good choice on the Nikon M-223 and the matching base. That should cover you out to 300 yards+ pretty well. Back in 88' when I went through Army Basic Training we were required to hit at 300 yards with iron sights only. You have 40 pop up targets that started at 300 yards and came back to you in 50 yard increments back to 25 yards. They would pop-up and hold for about 2 seconds at each distance. I fired expert which required you to miss no more than 2 targets out of 40. The 2 I missed were at 50 and 25 yards. lol Although I do keep a good set of BUIS on my AR's, those optics sure make it easier. I have one set up for long range and one for CQB!
    Bro.Mac
    US Army Veteran
    Desert Storm 90-91'

3. Quote Originally Posted by Mac357 View Post
    Andy, you made a good choice on the Nikon M-223 and the matching base. That should cover you out to 300 yards+ pretty well. Back in 88' when I went through Army Basic Training we were required to hit at 300 yards with iron sights only. You have 40 pop up targets that started at 300 yards and came back to you in 50 yard increments back to 25 yards. They would pop-up and hold for about 2 seconds at each distance. I fired expert which required you to miss no more than 2 targets out of 40. The 2 I missed were at 50 and 25 yards. lol Although I do keep a good set of BUIS on my AR's, those optics sure make it easier. I have one set up for long range and one for CQB!
    Yeah I was thinking about just doing a laser for close range and home defense use.

Quote Originally Posted by Mac357 View Post
    Lol how cute. Marines qual at 500 with iron sights. ;)

..just had to give you some grief haha.

LOL...I hear ya Marine. I didn't get to set the standard...lol I will say that 500 yards with a M-16 A2 with standard 5.56mm 500 would be harder than 300. I can say I have never had the chance to shoot that distance with that weapon. I really wish I had a long range, meaning about 800 yards in my area. I have a .308 Savage Bolt Action I would like to stretch out there. It is like wasting rounds shooting it at a 100 yard range. I shoot about 20 rounds through it every now and then just to make sure it is still shooting sub-moa at 100. I mostly set clay skeet shooting targets all over the 100 backstop to shoot with my AR with the long scope on it. And I put up odd targets, soda cans and **** like that all down the range at different ranges and practice shooting on the move and from different positions with my CQB set up. I broke my back a few years back so I can't train as hard as I would like , but I do what I can to stay as proficient as I can for an ole cripple soldier. The worst thing is I cannot lay in the prone position anymore, so if I am gonna shoot a long shot it has to be off a bench with a bipod or bags. Anyway, It's all fun to me as long as I get to shoot something I am happy. I just bought a S&W Model 67 .38 Special in Stainless with a 4"bbl. It already had the trigger done and some nice Hogue Grips. I got a sweet deal on it and it was in mint condition. I have yet to shoot it, but I will soon. It's so damn hot down here in southern MS, with all the meds I am on I can hardly stand to be in the sun very long. You take care Marine.....
    Bro.Mac
    US Army Veteran
    Desert Storm 90-91'

Quote Originally Posted by Mac357 View Post
    LOL...I hear ya Marine. I didn't get to set the standard...lol I will say that 500 yards with a M-16 A2 with standard 5.56mm 500 would be harder than 300. I can say I have never had the chance to shoot that distance with that weapon. I really wish I had a long range, meaning about 800 yards in my area. I have a .308 Savage Bolt Action I would like to stretch out there. It is like wasting rounds shooting it at a 100 yard range. I shoot about 20 rounds through it every now and then just to make sure it is still shooting sub-moa at 100. I mostly set clay skeet shooting targets all over the 100 backstop to shoot with my AR with the long scope on it. And I put up odd targets, soda cans and **** like that all down the range at different ranges and practice shooting on the move and from different positions with my CQB set up. I broke my back a few years back so I can't train as hard as I would like , but I do what I can to stay as proficient as I can for an ole cripple soldier. The worst thing is I cannot lay in the prone position anymore, so if I am gonna shoot a long shot it has to be off a bench with a bipod or bags. Anyway, It's all fun to me as long as I get to shoot something I am happy. I just bought a S&W Model 67 .38 Special in Stainless with a 4"bbl. It already had the trigger done and some nice Hogue Grips. I got a sweet deal on it and it was in mint condition. I have yet to shoot it, but I will soon. It's so damn hot down here in southern MS, with all the meds I am on I can hardly stand to be in the sun very long. You take care Marine.....
    I definitely feel you. The closest range I have that goes out past 100 yds only goes to 200 and it has a 5 year waiting list to join..After that I have one that goes out to 1000yds but it's an hour and a half drive and they only open it up to 1000 on Thursdays, which doesn't work with my work schedule at all. I hate shooting even my .243 at anything less that 200-300yds. Total waste of ammo, unless you're zeroing. And it's impossible to work up new loads at 100yds. I'm sorry you can't lay prone anymore! Idk what I'd do, I hate shooting off a bench. Feels completely unnatural to me.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123