AK-47 vs. AR-15 - The Small Arms Showdown [INFOGRAPHIC] - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: AK-47 vs. AR-15 - The Small Arms Showdown [INFOGRAPHIC]

Quote Originally Posted by jcreek View Post
    I agree with you assessment as far as the rifles go but not you "fun" factor assessment. Completely depends on the person. I much prefer taking one of my ARs out and doing some long-range precision shooting to going to the range and just dumping ammo out of an AK. There's no skill involved in that.
    Obviously it's a matter of opinion. I love my AR and wouldn't consider a firearm collection complete without one. I too enjoy going out and drilling holes with my '15 although I don't have much opportunity to shoot more than 100yds. That being said I just prefer the crude destruction dealt from an AK....kinda like throwing bricks through windows
    (Insert random tough-guy quote here)
    "See my gun?? Aren't you impressed?" - Anonymous sheepdog
    The hardware is the same, but the software is vastly different.

jcreek, if you haven't ever rocked & rolled with a full-auto AK... you're missing out, my brother. The only thing that is more fun than that, to me, is the 240.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    [*]Don't be afraid to use sarcasm, mockery and humiliation. They don't respect you. There's no need to pretend you respect them.
    Operation Veterans Relief: http://www.opvr.org/home.html

Best argument I have ever hear on this matter revolves around the following:
    AK-47 vs. AR-15 - The Small Arms Showdown [INFOGRAPHIC]-ar_15_forward_assist-tfb-tm.png

There is actually a design feature on the AR platform included because the manufacturer knows the gun will probably jam on you at the most inopportune time.

Haha, I like that....

Obviously, the charging handle on weapons such as the AK serve as the "forward assist", that the AR has. An aspect that is often over-looked concerning the reliabilty of the AK is that its bolt/carrier/piston group is heavy... thus, it has so much more energy coming forward compared to the AR (which relies on a strong recoil spring). This heavy operating assembly is what gives the AK near unsurpassed reliability in the battery going home arena. Another design aspect of the two bolts is the manner of which they "lock up". The AK doesn't have any lugs to lock into, only a rotating bolt. This enables there to be less opportunity for gunk build up in fine spaces, like the precision AR. The locking lugs of the AR, IMO, aren't an advantage for a combat rifle. In an effort to maximize reliability and mass production... the AK suffers in the accuracy department. However, I submit here... the majority of fire fights happen within 300m, within the effective range and accuracy of both the AK and AR(M4). "The enemy of best is good enough", the AK is simply that... good enough. No more and no less, it does exactly what it was designed to do. The AK is a tool meant to be abused by illiterates, peasants and suffer abuse like no other. Mission accomplished.
    [*]Don't be afraid to use sarcasm, mockery and humiliation. They don't respect you. There's no need to pretend you respect them.

Talking My goodies...

Simplicity at its finest, gentlemen.

AK-47 vs. AR-15 - The Small Arms Showdown [INFOGRAPHIC]-snapshot_20130625_2.jpg
    AK-47 vs. AR-15 - The Small Arms Showdown [INFOGRAPHIC]-snapshot_20130625_1.jpg
    AK-47 vs. AR-15 - The Small Arms Showdown [INFOGRAPHIC]-snapshot_20130625.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by gunnerbob View Post
    jcreek, if you haven't ever rocked & rolled with a full-auto AK... you're missing out, my brother. The only thing that is more fun than that, to me, is the 240.
    You and I will have to disagree on that. I've shot 240s, 249s, AKs, M4s, and M2s, and yes, in country watching a machine gun cut a mud hut full of insurgents in half is rather exhilarating, but stateside, when all you're shooting at is rusted out old tank hulls or paper, I'd prefer a scoped rifle any day of the week.

8. Not all AR-15's are .223 caliber. I built mine on the 6.8 SPC round and the hitting power is better than the AK. I also like a scoped model and was using it for hunting before NYS made it illegal.

9. Not all AR-15's are .223 caliber. I built mine on the 6.8 SPC round and the hitting power is better than the AK. I also like a scoped model and was using it for hunting before NYS made it illegal.

JSDinTexas Guest
    I have a wasr that I usually put rounds into a 1ft square steel target at 150 yds 4 out of 5 times - and this is a clanking, rattling, rough finish rifle that is a total counter to the US machined mindset offerings. I also have a Colt M4 with scope that reduces those hits to about 4" groups.
    Both are fun to shoot, but the AK gets my vote for the better fun, and it just looks mean too.
    Still, I have concluded that if I were to bug out - it has to be the M4 due to weight: not weight of the rifle, but of the # of rounds carried with it - the AK with 10 loaded mags is darn heavy after an hour or so of humping.
    Interesting article Luke - Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by gunnerbob View Post
    Yeah, ARs are capable of sub 4" groups at 200m... if the shooter is too. Like B2Tall said, the AR is a scalpel and the AK is a hammer.
    I agree. I have one of each and love them both. Both have strengths and weaknesnes.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast