AK-47 vs. AR-15 - The Small Arms Showdown [INFOGRAPHIC]
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: AK-47 vs. AR-15 - The Small Arms Showdown [INFOGRAPHIC]

They are two of the most recognizable and widely used weapons in the world.

Last edited by lukem; 06-24-2013 at 08:28 PM.

Memberships: NRA, GOA, USCCA
    Guns: Glock 26, Ruger LCP, Beretta 90-Two .40, Beretta PX4 Storm Subcompact 9MM, Beretta Tomcat, Bushmaster Patrolman M4

The service life numbers are complete horsesh!t... there are thousands of AKs in Afghanistan that've been in service since my Dad was born. He's 55 years old... Go around the world and take note of how many M16s from the 70's you see in working order, then do the same for AKs. I hate these comparisons, pointless really... Each weapon brings strengths to the combat table, with associated weaknesses. Me, I prefer the AK for what I value in a combat weapon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanimator View Post
    [*]Don't be afraid to use sarcasm, mockery and humiliation. They don't respect you. There's no need to pretend you respect them.
    Operation Veterans Relief: http://www.opvr.org/home.html

Had an M-16 jam on me once, but managed to un-jam it and get out of the situation. The next time it jammed, I ended up having to use a knife to get out of the situation. So I picked up a slightly used AK-47 and used it for the rest of my tour. It never jammed. I haven't touched either one since I got back to the World.
    TANSTAAFL

There is a good chance that millions of those AKs used in Veitnam are still in use around the globe. We had an interpreter, ANA troop with our convoy unit when we went to Shank... he used an original, milled reciever AK. The weapon had tens of thousands of rounds through it, no doubt and nearly all of the original coating was gone. The weapon shined in the light and the stocks had been replaced several times, he told us, but it worked without fault. The AKs main quality is simple... it works.
    [*]Don't be afraid to use sarcasm, mockery and humiliation. They don't respect you. There's no need to pretend you respect them.

6. Loose tolerances compared to the AR make the AK more reliable. The EverReady bunny of weapons.

Never regretted my WASR 10/63, re finished the furniture and it looks great and works great.

Accuracy factor isn't even kinda correct either. I hear all the time in the military how the rifle only holds 7 MOA and yet from a supported shooting position I can cut out a nice 4 inch hole at 200yds with an M-16 right out of the armory. And I can do better than that with anyone of my personal ARs.

I also question the muzzle energy they have listed. The AK and its 7.62x39 round typically has nearly double the muzzle energy of the AR and its 5.56x45 cartridge. There's just no comparison between the two. The AR is the scalpel while the AK is the sledgehammer......and we all know sledgehammers are waaaaay more fun than scalpels!!
    (Insert random tough-guy quote here)
    "See my gun?? Aren't you impressed?" - Anonymous sheepdog
    The hardware is the same, but the software is vastly different.

Quote Originally Posted by jcreek View Post
    Accuracy factor isn't even kinda correct either. I hear all the time in the military how the rifle only holds 7 MOA and yet from a supported shooting position I can cut out a nice 4 inch hole at 200yds with an M-16 right out of the armory. And I can do better than that with anyone of my personal ARs.
    Yeah, ARs are capable of sub 4" groups at 200m... if the shooter is too. Like B2Tall said, the AR is a scalpel and the AK is a hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by B2Tall View Post
    I also question the muzzle energy they have listed. The AK and its 7.62x39 round typically has nearly double the muzzle energy of the AR and its 5.56x45 cartridge. There's just no comparison between the two. The AR is the scalpel while the AK is the sledgehammer......and we all know sledgehammers are waaaaay more fun than scalpels!!
    I agree with you assessment as far as the rifles go but not you "fun" factor assessment. Completely depends on the person. I much prefer taking one of my ARs out and doing some long-range precision shooting to going to the range and just dumping ammo out of an AK. There's no skill involved in that.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast