Anyone else around here shoot FALs? Pics? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone else around here shoot FALs? Pics?

1. JCR - one issue you might want to know about : From the wear I can see in the photos and your description that all (major) parts have the same serial number stamped on them I would suppose that your FAL was not built in compliance with 922r. Unless the Hammer, Sear, Trigger, and gas piston were replaced with US made parts and it only has US made magazines (giving a total of 7 US made parts - thus 10 imported parts) I doubt this rifle has the required number of US parts.
    It is your choice on how you want to handle this. If you keep proof of this transaction - that you bought the rifle from somebody and did not build it yourself you may use that to prove you didn't build it in its non-compliant state. The law only makes building it illegal - possession or transfer is not. If you are not aware of this issue there are volumes of discussions on-line.
    The other point is that because of the above this was obviously built by an individual, not a company. Just a fact and worth whatever value you put into it - or whatever somebody who might was to buy this from you would value it at. Lots of individuals out there have built some rather impressive FAL's. You have one of the best kits - the SA58 - built on one of the best receivers - Imbel "gear logo".
    Imbel is one of the few non-FN FAL receiver makers which built receivers from properly heat treated, machined billets - not castings. Built to FN spec. The gear logo is not really any different from any other Imbel without that logo but some people put a small premium on it.

3. Spartan, thanks for all the info. When I bought the rifle, I was told that it was 922 compliant due to the hammer, sear, trigger, and the piston being US made parts. I'll have a closer look at it this weekend when I clean it after shooting it. As far as what it's worth, does the fact that it's a Steyr barrel on an Imbel receiver make it more desirable or is the Imbel receiver the main selling point? And the 3 mags that came with it are DSA mags.

4. JCR,

Very good then. Whoever built it was knowledgable and careful.

Since I have built seven metric FALs I need to have magazines in bulk - so I prefer cheap, imported mags. If you only have one FAL then it wouldn't be that big an issue.

With the 4 US made parts in the rifle and 3 in the magazines this would be 922r complaint - as long as you do not use imported magazines.

As far as barrels go your Styer produced barrel is definitely one of the better ones. As I have mentioned the Imbel is one of the better uppers to be found on the US market. You really can't compare one to the other - but as a combination (for a home built rifle) that's about as good as you will find.

5. Shot the rifle this weekend and she runs good and shoots really nice (so nice I had to leave it with my dad since he insisted he needed it on the farm...).
    24 shots at 50 yds on a 12" target.
    Anyone else around here shoot FALs? Pics?-photo-2-.jpg

6. Im very jealous. This is one of the few rifles that I would love to have. The others are a HK 91 and a Galil. Enjoy.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using USA Carry mobile app

7. Quote Originally Posted by ffrandy View Post
    Im very jealous. This is one of the few rifles that I would love to have. The others are a HK 91 and a Galil. Enjoy.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using USA Carry mobile app
    I hear ya on the HK91. There are a few out there on GunBroker, but the folks that are selling them know what they've got. Big $$$.

Quote Originally Posted by JCR View Post
    I hear ya on the HK91. There are a few out there on GunBroker, but the folks that are selling them know what they've got. Big $$$.
    I know the HK motto is "In a world of compromise some don't" but if you are willing to do some compromise there are some decent builders here in the US that will take a parts kit and a US receiver and build you a HK91 clone.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
    Time to add FireMarshall Bill to the block list.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12