Complete AR Upper or Build It Myself?

Thread: Complete AR Upper or Build It Myself?

1. Complete AR Upper or Build It Myself?

I'm looking to get an AR upper, but don't know if I should get a complete upper or build it myself? I'm a novice with AR's, so I didn't know if it's worth the money saved putting it together myself. The AR will be used for basic target shooting.

Complete AR Upper or Build It Myself?

If this is going to be your first AR and its just going to be for plinking, there's not really a point in building your own when you can get a good quality basic rifle for under $800.

I like building the lowers and buying the uppers.
    Slickguns.com will find you an upper or complete rifles listed on the web. Neat site!

I usually build the lower with a better trigger and buy the upper. Midway does a ar upper package with all lower parts for $500. $40 iron sight and $100 lower and you got a solid ar, but you can find some good del ton already made ars for $700

I built an upper a couple of years ago. I really don't know if there really was that much of a savings after buying the vice tool and the wrench. But, I wanted to say I built one, so I built one. Next week I'm going to buy a 16 inch upper to compliment the 24" I built.

So, unless you have some 'need' to build, just buy the upper assembly.

I just got around to reading my November American Rifleman and found a good article on building an AR. Take a look.