15 minute trigger job

Thread: 15 minute trigger job

15 minute trigger job

I'd been looking for some way to clean up and lighten the trigger on my AR 15. It's a lightweight carbine so I didn't want to put in a two stage trigger but I did want to lighten it up and make it a little crisper. A guy I work with pointed me to these directions and they work great. Very happy how the trigger turned out so I thought I'd share.

15 Minute Practical Trigger Job for the AR-15
    "When Government fears the people, it's liberty. When people fear the Government, it's tyranny."
    - Benjamin Franklin

Looks easy enough to do. Are you still happy with the mod?

Thanks for sharing.
    Cheers,
    Richard
    My Kimber I show to my friends. My Glock I show to my enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by RNG View Post
    Looks easy enough to do. Are you still happy with the mod?

Thanks for sharing.
    Cheers,
    Richard
    I'm going to try and get to the range in the next few days to try out the mod and the new shotgun I picked up. I did some dry fire practice with it and the trigger feels much cleaner. The parts kit was a DPMS and originally had some travel then a long stiff pull till it released. It wasn't exactly bad but not great either. After the trigger job thereís less travel with a shorter much lighter pull before it releases.

I'll post again after I get back from the range and let you know how it performed.
    "When Government fears the people, it's liberty. When people fear the Government, it's tyranny."
    - Benjamin Franklin

I just got back to work from a lunch time range visit and had to post a report on the trigger job. This is a must do for any stock single stage trigger!!! I love it. The trigger is much cleaner and did not have any issues with double fires or light primer strikes. I do have a tendency to jerk the trigger from time to time while running rapid fire drills (something I've been working on correcting). This time I rapid fired, off hand at 65í, two groups of 10 and the only spread I had was about 2 - 3 inch vertically. Iím very happy with this trigger job.
    - Benjamin Franklin

One thing I don't do when I lighten up my AR triggers is cut the hammer or trigger spring. I bend it up a little at at a time instead of cutting. Bending the spring will do the same thing without major changes. Once it's cut that's it and if you cut too much off it's un-serviceable.
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

Quote Originally Posted by Red Hat View Post
    One thing I don't do when I lighten up my AR triggers is cut the hammer or trigger spring. I bend it up a little at at a time instead of cutting. Bending the spring will do the same thing without major changes. Once it's cut that's it and if you cut too much off it's un-serviceable.
    Very true. Every place I read on this style of trigger job said to only cut the hammer spring and to not modify the trigger spring without also modifing the hammer spring. I could see were bending both legs on the hammer spring could give you the same type of affect.
    - Benjamin Franklin

Thanks for the info. When I get home I'm going to give it a wack pun intended.
    Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by abock33 View Post
    Thanks for the info. When I get home I'm going to give it a wack pun intended.
    No problem. My mod was on a DPMS parts kit and made a big difference. Let us know how yours turns out and what parts kit you are working with. I'm sure this improves some brands more then others.
    - Benjamin Franklin

[IMG][/IMG] I have done this type of trigger job several times but I bend the right side up out of the way on the hammer spring. Little bend on both arms of the trigger spring. I also use a cotton swab with polishing compound on it, to polish the trigger sear and hammer. I would take off the grip and take the safty out the way it suppose to be taken out. It is just one screw and put the spring and plunger in a safe place so you don't loose it in the carpet.