.577 T-Rex

Thread: .577 T-Rex

.577 T-Rex

That's way too powerful. Who would want a rifle that is only fun to watch other people shoot?
    "When the outflow exceeds the inflow, the upkeep becomes the downfall"

wolfhunter Guest
    I read about this rifle a year or so ago. The T Rex is a BUG for safari. If the normal rifle doesn't drop the rhino/water buffalo/elephant, the T Rex gets used.

You know what?

The T-Rex is also my BUG. I carry it in an ankle holster. Gives me a nice "pimp walk". Also a little chafing.

Quote Originally Posted by DarrellM5 View Post
    That's way too powerful. Who would want a rifle that is only fun to watch other people shoot?
    I would!!!!!!!!
    Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Benjamin Franklin

Watching the Form some of these "Shooters" were using, It was no wonder why they dropped the weapon. I'd love to see what kind of group I could hold at a 100 yards.
    Semper Fi

wolfhunter Guest
    577 TYRANNOSAUR

577 TYRANNOSAUR

The following data was developed in an A-SQUARE Hannibal model rifle. The rifle weighed 13.6 pounds. No effort was made to shoot it for group accuracy, as the whole purpose of this rifle is as a last resort stopper for animals that are intent on changing the make up of your anatomy! Suffice to say that all groups with all powder charges, at various velocities, went into a group of approximately 8 inches, at 100 yards, with the majority of the higher velocity loads grouping in less than 3 inches! This is fantastic accuracy for a rifle of this power, with open sights.

We could not approach the published velocities in the excellent A-SQUARE reloading manual, with their listed powders. As an example, they listed 177.5 grains of Reloader 19 for a velocity of 2473 fps. We used 178 grains of our lot of Reloader 19 and only managed to get 2283 fps. That is almost 200 fps less! Their data was apparently developed in a barrel of 26 inches, while ours measured only 23 inches. Still, this is no criticism of A-SQUARE, it just shows the differences you might get by using different rifles and different lots of powder. In the velocity department, we were able to increase the velocity to over 100 fps more than the maximum published by A-SQUARE, by using a powder they did not use. There was no sign of excessive pressure at all, in fact, we think that 2600 fps is quite feasible in this rifle without too much trouble – except recoil! We only stopped because we ran out of bullets!

And talking of recoil, this rifle has is it in spades! Admittedly, it is fitted with the A-SQUARE Coil-Check stock, which has three mercury reducers and the pad area is significantly larger than a normal stock. Both of these modifications to the stock will help reduce recoil. Still, any cartridge that produces over 11,000 foot pounds of energy is going to give you a good whalop. And I guarantee you, you are not going to be disappointed!

Credit must be given to A-SQUARE for designing and bringing out a number of very high velocity cartridges in their caliber, like the 300 PEGASUS and the 338 EXCALIBUR. Also they produce factory ammo for many wildcats and old cartridges. We have one of their HANNIBAL rifles in 300 PEGASUS here for load development. As soon as our testing is complete, we will put it up on the site.

+1 post. Great Tech info.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfhunter View Post
    ....And talking of recoil, this rifle has is it in spades! Admittedly, it is fitted with the A-SQUARE Coil-Check stock, which has three mercury reducers and the pad area is significantly larger than a normal stock. Both of these modifications to the stock will help reduce recoil. Still, any cartridge that produces over 11,000 foot pounds of energy is going to give you a good whalop. And I guarantee you, you are not going to be disappointed!....
    In other words, if your a 100 and a quarter drippen wet, it's gong to hurt like he**? 11k pounds is an amzing number.
    Semper Fi

boyzoi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomboy007 View Post
    The T-Rex is also my BUG. I carry it in an ankle holster. Gives me a nice "pimp walk". Also a little chafing.

Hey....Get outta my head.

wolfhunter Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomboy007 View Post

Hey, if you can properly conceal it....