romanian ak74

Thread: romanian ak74

romanian ak74

I saw a romanian ak 74 I was thinking of buying. the stock was sanded smooth but no finish to it. I cant remember the cartridge size. it seemed an odd one. the shop is asking $600 for it. is this a reasonable price? I know nothing about firearms .

Are you talking about the WASR-2?
    5.45x39 if I remember right. They were going for around $350 - $400 before the Obama scare. I wouldn't even bother with those WASR's expecially at $600, plus the stock is unfinished. The only 5.45 you can find is old mil-surplus, and mostly dirty corrosive crap. You can't find any reloadable brass either. My buddy just bought a WASR-3, and he can't find any mags that feed right except the one that came with it. Apparently, the factory just dremels the mag-catch to fit the one they give you, so any other kind, may or may not fit right. I don't know if the WASR-2's are the same, but I tend to stay away from any gun coming from Romania.

Save up a bit more and get a nice AR-15.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]In order to rally people, governments need enemies. They want us to be afraid, to hate, so we will rally behind them. And if they don't have a real enemy, they'll invent one in order to mobilize us.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooter View Post
    Are you talking about the WASR-2?
    5.45x39 if I remember right. They were going for around $350 - $400 before the Obama scare. I wouldn't even bother with those WASR's expecially at $600, plus the stock is unfinished.
    WASR AKs tend to work well but they are poorly finished. The days of $300 AKs of any caliber are most likely over...
    The only 5.45 you can find is old mil-surplus, and mostly dirty corrosive crap. You can't find any reloadable brass either.
    If my old you mean 1980s production, you're partly right. Wolf and Brown / Silver Bear commercial ammo of current manufacture is availble. Reloadable it's not, but the surplus is around $150 to $200 for a spam can of 1080 rounds. That's no more expensive than components to reload. Corrosive--I've left one uncleaned for a week and no signs of corrosion--but I live in Nevada and that may be due to the dry climate. Clean after every use of surplus ammo. Crap--it most definitely is not.
    My buddy just bought a WASR-3, and he can't find any mags that feed right except the one that came with it. Apparently, the factory just dremels the mag-catch to fit the one they give you, so any other kind, may or may not fit right. I don't know if the WASR-2's are the same, but I tend to stay away from any gun coming from Romania.
    I don't know about mags for a WASR-3, but crazycathed probably meant a WASR 2. I have a couple of dozen surplus magazines made my various former WARSAW Pact nations and they all work well.
    Save up a bit more and get a nice AR-15.
    That's always good advice but has nothing to do with the question.
    Last edited by NDS; 01-28-2009 at 10:25 PM.
    People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome.--River Tam

I MISS my AK 74

Yes, the prices on all assault-style rifles as increased, and soon - when the ban comes - it won't matter too much. But when I think of my AK 74 (which was also made in Romania) with the bakelite mags and tough-as-nails dependability - I sincerely regret ever selling that thing.

Out of the box accuracy shooting with iron sights and hitting 300 meter iron plates (with little recoil) was always great fun.

$600 sounds steep, but if it's negotiable and still available, I know I'd have another one.
    "There is no consitutional right to be protected by the state against being murdered by criminals or madmen." (7th Cir. 1982, Bowers v. DeVito)Stay safe, and stay trained.www.sazsatt.com

I have a romanian AK-47. love it. built well. shoots great and very reliable. I paid 350 for it. 600 seems a bit on the high side to me.. but then again we've got BO in the white house. as far as romanian AK's I think they are great. personally I prefer the 7.62 than the 5.45 round though. easier to find and hits a lot harder.
    You can have my freedom as soon as I'm done with it!!!