Appleseed Bans S&W M&P15-22s - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Appleseed Bans S&W M&P15-22s

I am pretty sure that the S&W M&P15-22 issue is also related to a limited number of production years. Otherwise, we would have heard about the mentioned issues years ago. The rifle was introduced in 2009. Any inherent design issues should have been found and fixed by now. I am pretty sure the newly found issues are due to some changes in the production, as it was with the Reminton 700.

Republic of Dead Cell Holler, Occupied Territories of AL, former USA
    Quote Originally Posted by bofh View Post
    I am pretty sure that the S&W M&P15-22 issue is also related to a limited number of production years. Otherwise, we would have heard about the mentioned issues years ago. The rifle was introduced in 2009. Any inherent design issues should have been found and fixed by now. I am pretty sure the newly found issues are due to some changes in the production, as it was with the Reminton 700.
    That's what I was thinking and why I mentioned that the 15/22 that I had personal experience with was an estimated 3 - 5 years old. That certainly could make a huge difference.

Unfortunately, when media get a hold of safety issues surrounding a specific model of weapon, they color their "reporting" as being all-inclusive of that model. I could be mistaken, but as I recall, the story that I think I heard on a CBS channel about the 700 got the original engineer out of retirement to go on camera and say his own design was flawed, or maybe it was the reporting that promulgated that premise, I don't know for sure, but either way, the recall doesn't even start until sometime in 2006 production runs. I could be confusing two different reports, but I don't think so. Anyway, even at TTAG they didn't qualify the reporting with the possibility that it might be a late model issue only, and the AOC didn't seem to allow for that possibility either.

I have no problem with AOC suspending the weapon from their own events, but I think their announcement publicizing and reporting the issues they're relying on as evidence was weakly-sourced for the reader in the first place, and kinda reckless in its wording to the point that it could harm S&W's reputation. I guess they might feel like they're between a rock and a hard place, but I still think they jumped the gun a bit. Seems there should've been a way to keep it on the down-low unless and until S&W was seen as road-blocking the research into why the instances happened in the first place. Maybe they did wait until that happened and nobody but AOC knows (or reported) that they feel that way, but from the outside looking in, the announcement seemed thin on real evidence and long on unsubstantiated conclusions about design flaws etc., which seems to me to be a recipe for an expensive lawsuit that I doubt AOC has disposable dollars to defend. Guess we'll see....

Blues
    No one has ever heard me say that I "hate" cops, because I don't. This is why I will never trust one again though: You just never know...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12