Recommend all-purpose shotgun - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recommend all-purpose shotgun

1. Quote Originally Posted by hannahloveskevo View Post
    I'm a chick but thanks ;)

I definitely like what I've seen and read about the Remington 870. Mossbergs are impressive too. I dont mind spending a few hundred but I wanted a good all around.. All purpose shotgun.

Sent from my LG-M153 using USA Carry mobile app
    Sorry about the gender mix up. These days it's just refreshing to see someone roger up to their actual birth gender. Good luck on your choice for a HD shotgun. They're way easier to land on a good choice than with rifles and handguns. They are simple and effective for HD.

The Place To Be

Quote Originally Posted by bofh View Post
    I like Mossbergs more due to the tang safety. It's just personal preference. The Magpul stocks are awesome for both! They allow for a length of pull adjustment of up to 2 inches.
    I have to agree with the tang safety of the Mossberg being an advantage. Anyone would be well-served with either gun, in my view. The primary reason I went for the Magpu; stocks was the ability to increase the length of pull. That is a great advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by snowman45 View Post
    I have to agree with the tang safety of the Mossberg being an advantage. Anyone would be well-served with either gun, in my view. The primary reason I went for the Magpu; stocks was the ability to increase the length of pull. That is a great advantage.
    Increase length of pull? Interesting! I have a Mesa Tactical Urbino stock with the Limbsaver butt pad on my Mossberg 930 to decrease the length of pull from the retarded 14" it came with to a more practical 12.5". While Mossberg is making the 930 with a pistol grip butt stock now that has a length of pull of 13", Magpul unfortunately doesn't make such stocks for semi-auto shotguns.

Quote Originally Posted by bofh View Post
    Increase length of pull? Interesting! I have a Mesa Tactical Urbino stock with the Limbsaver butt pad on my Mossberg 930 to decrease the length of pull from the retarded 14" it came with to a more practical 12.5". While Mossberg is making the 930 with a pistol grip butt stock now that has a length of pull of 13", Magpul unfortunately doesn't make such stocks for semi-auto shotguns.
    I see your point regarding shortening the length of pull. The inserts for the MagPul allow you to lengthen or shorten the length of pull, but there are people who like the longer stocks. Personally, I agree that the shorter stock can provide certain advantages in a tactical shotgun. It's a shame that MagPul doesn't make the stock for the 930 and similar semi-autos.

Quote Originally Posted by snowman45 View Post
    I see your point regarding shortening the length of pull. The inserts for the MagPul allow you to lengthen or shorten the length of pull, but there are people who like the longer stocks. Personally, I agree that the shorter stock can provide certain advantages in a tactical shotgun. It's a shame that MagPul doesn't make the stock for the 930 and similar semi-autos.
    There is actually a reason for MagPul not making stocks for semi-auto shotguns. The return spring and housing is in the stock, at least for the 930. The Mesa Tactical Urbino stock comes with a shorter return spring and housing and requires some disassembly and reassembly. This is a change in the gun's action that MagPul may not want to be responsible for.

Good point. Seems they could come up with a method and a modification to the stock shape to work it in. But then again, maybe they don't see it being worth the hassle.

Quote Originally Posted by hannahloveskevo View Post
    What's a good all-purpose shotgun (ex. hunting, home defense, zombie killing lol) on a budget?
    Technology and quality has advanced considerably in the past decade. Proof of this is evident in the Hatfield SAS semi automatic shotgun. The price is dirt cheap (under $200 at Walmart) but the quality is excellent. They come in both 12 & 20 gauge with really nice walnut stock and a 28 inch vent rib barrel. I cut my barrel down to 18 3/4 inch and installed an ALLEN Low-Profile Sight. A sweet shooter, very reliable.
    Recommend all-purpose shotgun-22817_1.jpg
    Last edited by Ringo; 10-02-2017 at 03:06 AM. Reason: more info
    Comfort One Another With These Words Also...There Will Not Be Another Generation

9. Quote Originally Posted by Ringo View Post
    Technology and quality has advanced considerably in the past decade. Proof of this is evident in the Hatfield SAS semi automatic shotgun. The price is dirt cheap (under $200) but the quality is excellent. From the lightest low brass to the heaviest of the high brass the gas/inertia system works dependably & eats them all. They come in both 12 & 20 gauge with really nice walnut stock and a 28 inch vent rib barrel. I cut my barrel down to 18 3/4 inch and installed an ALLEN Low-Profile Sight. Works for me.

Recommend all-purpose shotgun-22817_1.jpg
    Technology has definitely advanced but not sure that quality as some broad definition has done the same. I know little bit about Hatfield and thanks for the recommendation. Where would you get parts for it? I went to the website and they said it was a demo site and not currently fulfilling orders. They must have a US distributor as they are a Turkish make from what I Googled. That would be an amazing price for a reliable SAS.

The Place To Be

Quote Originally Posted by niceshootintex View Post
    Technology has definitely advanced but not sure that quality as some broad definition has done the same. I know little bit about Hatfield and thanks for the recommendation. Where would you get parts for it? I went to the website and they said it was a demo site and not currently fulfilling orders. They must have a US distributor as they are a Turkish make from what I Googled. That would be an amazing price for a reliable SAS.

The Place To Be
    There's a 1 year warranty and a phone number to call for replacement parts if needed. I called the number to verify..no problems.

Hatfield SAS Semi-Automatic 12 Gauge 28" 3" Walnut Stock Black High Gloss

The Hatfield SAS 12 is a semi-automatic 12 ga. shotgun featuring a walnut
    buttstock and forend with deluxe checkering and a recoil absorbing 1"
    ventilated rubber recoil pad. The SAS operating system is a unique blend of
    gas and inertia, where a gas piston moves only one inch to kick the bolt
    rearward and start the bolts inertia travel through the operating cycle;
    fewer moving parts provides higher dependability. The SAS gas/inertia
    system operates dependably with most commercially available 2.75" and 3"
    shells and a special gas piston is included for use when firing the new
    ultra-high energy 3 magnum ammunition currently on the market. The
    gas/inertia action is housed inside a receiver machined from 7075 aluminum
    finished in a high gloss black anodizing. The SAS 28" barrel is chambered
    for both 2.75" and 3" shells and features a full length ventilated rib and
    screw-in chokes; three chokes (F, Mod and IC) are included. The barrel
    finish is high gloss black chrome to match the receiver. Magazine capacity
    is 4+1 rounds, but with a magazine plug included to limit the capacity to
    2+1 rounds. Total weight is approximately 7.75 lbs.
    Comfort One Another With These Words Also...There Will Not Be Another Generation

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12