Recommend all-purpose shotgun
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommend all-purpose shotgun

1. Recommend all-purpose shotgun

What's a good all-purpose shotgun (ex. hunting, home defense, zombie killing lol) on a budget?

Sent from my LG-M153 using USA Carry mobile app

3. Quote Originally Posted by hannahloveskevo View Post
    What's a good all-purpose shotgun (ex. hunting, home defense, zombie killing lol) on a budget?

Cheap (under $300). Pump action. Simple. Reliable. Short barrel. Remington 870 Express synthetic. I have one I shoot twice a year. Shoot it, clean it, put it away. Rinse, repeat.

The Place To Be

Remington 870 or Mossberg 500 series, both pump action. Lot's of models and options between these two.

A shotgun is by definition already a pretty good all-purpose firearm, given the ammunition choices.

Quote Originally Posted by niceshootintex View Post
    Cheap (under $300). Pump action. Simple. Reliable. Short barrel. Remington 870 Express synthetic. I have one I shoot twice a year. Shoot it, clean it, put it away. Rinse, repeat.

The Place To Be
    I assume you didn't mean a short-barreled shotgun, as in NFA firearm, but as in 18-20 inches barrel length, instead of 24, 26 or even 28.

As others have said, it's hard to beat the Remington 870 or Mossberg 500/590 platforms. Both are well-built performers. My preference is for the 870, but that comes from years of carrying one in a patrol car. If you want to optimize the guns' capabilities, add some ghost ring sights and a magazine tube extension, maybe a MagPul stock and a good sling. The choices in ammunition are nearly infinite and there are some very effective options between buckshot and slugs.

Quote Originally Posted by snowman45 View Post
    As others have said, it's hard to beat the Remington 870 or Mossberg 500/590 platforms. Both are well-built performers. My preference is for the 870, but that comes from years of carrying one in a patrol car. If you want to optimize the guns' capabilities, add some ghost ring sights and a magazine tube extension, maybe a MagPul stock and a good sling. The choices in ammunition are nearly infinite and there are some very effective options between buckshot and slugs.
    I like Mossbergs more due to the tang safety. It's just personal preference. The Magpul stocks are awesome for both! They allow for a length of pull adjustment of up to 2 inches.

8. Quote Originally Posted by bofh View Post
    I assume you didn't mean a short-barreled shotgun, as in NFA firearm, but as in 18-20 inches barrel length, instead of 24, 26 or even 28.
    18 inches in the case of my own. No NFA stuff. He said cheap😎

The Place To Be

Quote Originally Posted by niceshootintex View Post
    18 inches in the case of my own. No NFA stuff. He said cheap��

The Place To Be
    That's what I thought. Also, something like the Mossberg Shockwave is also less optimal. A shotgun should have a shoulder stock.

10. I'm a chick but thanks ;)

I definitely like what I've seen and read about the Remington 870. Mossbergs are impressive too. I dont mind spending a few hundred but I wanted a good all around.. All purpose shotgun.

11. Thanks so much for all the information and recommendations

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast