AR15 Bumping?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AR15 Bumping?

AR15 Bumping?

Have you heard of "bumping" the AR15? It's a way you position your thumb and weapon which makes the AR shoot somewhat automatic. I'm sure you get the picture. IF I was to try this, would I be doing any damage to the rifle or would you say the damage (if any) would occur on an ongoing basis? Actually, I would like to try this (safely of course) but if it will damage the weapon, then forget it. Wondering if anyone here has tried it OR any thought about it.
    thnx.
    (All the above are MY opinions/suggestions ONLY....AND, I like to bust ball's, it's called having a sense of humor. In other words, no intent to offend anyone, so get over it)

wolfhunter Guest
    Forget trying to make an AR fire "somewhat automatic". If you need a high rate of fire from an AR, practice rapid fire drills. Rapid fire puts all rounds on target, auto fire puts most rounds everywhere else.

It will not damage the rifle and is legal, but it can easily put a dent in your pocket book. Beware of those who want to add rubber bands, shoestrings, or other odds and ends because ATF has determined that is manufacturing a class 3 weapon.
    People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome.--River Tam

I thought external trigger modifications were OK by the BATFE. Did that change recently?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]In order to rally people, governments need enemies. They want us to be afraid, to hate, so we will rally behind them. And if they don't have a real enemy, they'll invent one in order to mobilize us.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]In order to rally people, governments need enemies. They want us to be afraid, to hate, so we will rally behind them. And if they don't have a real enemy, they'll invent one in order to mobilize us.

Bump firing an AR is fairly easy to do if you have a decent trigger pull. In fact you can just about bump fire any semi auto firearm with a little practice and a good trigger pull. Just remember it's hard to control and you can't use your sights.

YouTube - www.PoormansMachinegun.com Episode 1
    Last edited by Red Hat; 02-02-2009 at 11:31 PM.
    USAF Retired, CATM, SC CWP, NH NR CWP, NRA Benefactor
    To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them... -- Richard Henry Lee, 1787

I have a lot of fun bumping my AK-47. doesn't damage the firearm... just costs a lot more for less time shooting:) I was watching extreme shooters on the history channel a few days ago and people were bump firing a semi auto pistol.. trying to figure that one out I'd love to try it.
    You can have my freedom as soon as I'm done with it!!!

As long as the firearm is not bumping against something that can damage the finish or get caught in the working parts, it's safe to do. Just make sure you can control it while bumping. If you're going to try this, do it with three or so rounds per magazine until you've mastered the technique.

Bumping is legal because it's not a single pull of the trigger. It's repeated pulls of the trigger using inertia. BATFE cannot call utilizing Sir Isaac Newton's laws of motion making a class III/NFA/title II firearm as it doesn't meet the statutory definition of a machine gun; at least not yet.

If you use any type of device to make a firearm go full or burst auto with a single pull of the trigger then it's making an NFA/class III/title II firearm.

The principle of recoil is based on Newton's third law. If that didn't exist, there would be no such thing as a most semi-auto firearms; John Moses Browning could have never created the 1911 among other things as they couldn't exist without this fundamental principle of physics.
    Know the law; don't ask, don't tell.
    NRA & UT Certified Instructor; CT, FL, NH, NV, OR, PA & UT CCW Holder
    Happy new 1984; 25 years behind schedule. Send lawyers, guns and money...the SHTF...

10. bump firing will only damage your wallet. But you will save money on targets. Because you won't be hitting any.

11. AR-15 Bumping

I also watched the More Extreme Marksmen program on the History Channel, and saw the Champion revolver shooter make his 1911 fire like a machine gun. A friend of mine showed me how to do that years ago. The gentleman on the program had one of those fancy timers that picks up the report of the pistol, and showed he was firing the 1911 at 648 rounds per minute, You need to hold the weapon with both hands, with the off hand holding the weapon, and the thumb of the shooting hand through the trigger guard. It is simply a matter of rapidly moving the thumb back and forth in the trigger guard, and with abit of practice, one can make the 1911 sound like a Thompson, for eight rounds, anyway.
    A man without a gun is a subject; a man with a gun is a citizen.
    I'll keep my freedom, my guns and my money. You can keep THE CHANGE.
    An armed society is a polite society.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast