Entry level sniper rifle...
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Entry level sniper rifle...

Entry level sniper rifle...

So i'm wanting to get into some longer distance shooting, say 100 - 600 yards, and looking for a good rifle that'll get me going but not break the bank. I'd looked at some Accuracy Internation and FN SPR's in .308 but they are a little out of my price range. I'd looked at the following rifles and wanted to get some feedback.

FN PBR 24" medium heavy barrel or even the fluted FN PBR XP

The Remington 700 police or SPS model

The Savage 12FV or 10FP

I've also looked at topping it with a Bushnell Elite 3200 scope. So any feed back would really help. Thanks guys and gals.
    "When Government fears the people, it's liberty. When people fear the Government, it's tyranny."
    - Benjamin Franklin

wolfhunter Guest
    No experience with the FN, but either 700 or Savage would be a great long-range weapon. I use a 700 and I know a couple of sub-MOA shooters with Savages.

Kimber, glad to hear that you are getting the bug. Both the Savage and the Remington are great.
    If you get to thinkin you're a person of some influence, try orderin' someone else's dog around

5. Savage all the way. Decent price, exceptianl performance. I've beat this rifle through the woods for yr's takes a licken keeps on ticken

Occasionally I have a good day.

These two made the mistake of standing side by side right at 222yd. Got them both one shot. It's called MOC (minute of coyote)

Heres a link to whole story on the above shot
    PredatorMasters Forums: One shot, Two kills. coyote

have you seen remingtons 700 Varmint tactical rifle in 308, i see them selling buy it now on gunbroker for 659.00 as well budsgunsupply lists them 659 shipping included when they have them in stock. i have a friend with one of the savage rifles as well, he says its a tack driver as well

Thanks for the reply guys!
    "When Government fears the people, it's liberty. When people fear the Government, it's tyranny."
    - Benjamin Franklin

8. Quote Originally Posted by KimberPB View Post
    So i'm wanting to get into some longer distance shooting, say 100 - 600 yards, and looking for a good rifle that'll get me going but not break the bank. I'd looked at some Accuracy Internation and FN SPR's in .308 but they are a little out of my price range. I'd looked at the following rifles and wanted to get some feedback.

FN PBR 24" medium heavy barrel or even the fluted FN PBR XP

The Remington 700 police or SPS model

The Savage 12FV or 10FP

I've also looked at topping it with a Bushnell Elite 3200 scope. So any feed back would really help. Thanks guys and gals.
    sniper?

come on dude! leave the title alone...........are you doing 3000 yard stalks in knee hi grass too?

just call it ..need a rifle for medium to long range shooting.......

9. Quote Originally Posted by sav10le_308 View Post
    Savage all the way. Decent price, exceptianl performance. I've beat this rifle through the woods for yr's takes a licken keeps on ticken

Occasionally I have a good day.

These two made the mistake of standing side by side right at 222yd. Got them both one shot. It's called MOC (minute of coyote)

Heres a link to whole story on the above shot
    PredatorMasters Forums: One shot, Two kills. coyote
    poor animals........wish they would invent a license where we could hunt hunters..........

I have the Savage 10FP in .308 and it puts Black Hills Match 168gr ammo into a 1" group at 200 yards. My reloads, using basically the same recipe, are grouping 1 1/4" at 200 yards.

$499 for the rifle, hell of a deal.
    "When the outflow exceeds the inflow, the upkeep becomes the downfall"

Exclamation savage 10fp

Savage model 10FP

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So you want to shoot a 1,000 yard match? Here is the gun you need if you are on a tight budget. I wrote the article while I was still on active duty. It was one of those winter hobby projects while I was stationed in AK. It was nice to be able to shoot a 1,000 yard match and not embarrass myself.

SAVAGE 10FP

This is what works for me.

Contact me via pm if you have any questions.

Look at the holes it punched in the challenge thread as well.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast