In search of a BEST choice: - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: In search of a BEST choice:

Exclamation For the money

a good .308 win will do everything you need it to do. With today's modern bullets and premium loads, you could use it for every big game animal on north america.
    FESTUS
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

Given your guide lines my choice would be a .308 for a couple of reasons. One is the wide range of factory loads available making it good for several game animals. Another reason is the well known flat trajectory over a longer distance. These combine to make an excellent medium to large game rifle.

+1 on the 30-06. The .308 would be a close 2nd though.

It's a great time to be in the market for a bolt action. So many companies have awesome rifles out right now. I really like the Savage 116 with the Accutrigger and Accustock. I'm not sure the Accustock does much, but it's not an extra cost. Sako has an inexpensive rifle, the A-7, with a 5-shot 1moa guarantee. Thompson has the Icon and the Venture (both with 1moa guarantees) , Browning has the X bolts and A bolts. Then there's Kimber and Ed Brown, etc...

Just shopping for a hunting rifle would be 1/2 the fun.
    "When the outflow exceeds the inflow, the upkeep becomes the downfall"

Quote Originally Posted by DarrellM5 View Post
    +1 on the 30-06. The .308 would be a close 2nd though.

Just shopping for a hunting rifle would be 1/2 the fun.
    Yes, it's a fun experience and an education at the same time!
    Reality, DEAL with IT!

a model 70 winchester in .308 is hard to beat, the new one's are better than they used to be if you must have a new gun, even better but harder to find is a pre '64!!!

7. 308 Tikka, can do anything and they are a great gun for the money. Short and sweet. O I am bias cause I have a 308 Sako Finnlight in 308. Have taken a Bull Elk at 350yds with it so it can be a big hitter. My guide said he was glad to see a hunter who knew his gun and could shoot. He has had to track more game shot with 270s and 300 Win Mags. His words not mine. Poor shooting was more to blame than the gun but better to know 1 gun and shoot it well and I think the 308 can do it all.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12