Mossberg Model 500 stock removal
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mossberg Model 500 stock removal

Mossberg Model 500 stock removal

I am trying to remove the stock from a brand new Model 500 shotgun. I am using a large screwdriver and I am able to place it in the bolt/screw slot easily. So far I am unable to break the screw free. I believe I am using a great deal of torque. I am concerned that too much torque will damage something.

Has anyone had experience with this task? Is there a particular technique or shall I apply more torque? Is my method and tool adequate?

I would appreciate some sage advice. Thanks.

Exclamation you may not have the right tools

use a flashlight to see if the screw has bolt face cuts on the outside of the head. If it does then use a slim socket and a long extension. If it does not get a screwdriver big enough to fill the slot with very little or no slop.

If it is still stubborn...seek a good gunsmith and put the liability of breaking something expensive in his hands.
    FESTUS
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

Thanks festus. I appreciate your suggestions. Unfortunately, I had already tried all you suggested. I had even determined that I would be making a trip to the local gunsmith if no one has a solution for me. I have until Monday so I will hope someone has had a similar experience and has a technique that I have not tried.

I can use more torque but with the force I am already exerting, I am afraid I will break the screw head. Thanks again. If we don't have a solution by Monday, I will make a trip to the gunsmith. Mossberg put it on TIGHT!

Yea --the first time I took the stock off of mine a screwdriver would not get it.
    I used a socket--it was pretty tight but not break the head off tight.
    Now I can take it off with a screwdriver

Vincere est totum

I just finished the job! I changed out the stock and it looks great. It was just a matter of finding the right socket and getting enough leverage. Wow! That thing took a ton of muscle.

Thanks for the encouragement guys. I appreciate your suggestions. I had one man-sized screwdriver but I would never have remove it with a screwdriver. It took three of us. Thanks again. pax

Lightbulb C'mon, Pax!

How about a pic of your newly stocked Mossy?
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson

Mossberg 500 stock changed from dark wood to light wood

Ask and ye shall receive!

Not a big deal. I purchased this shotgun. When I removed from the container it had a walnut stock and honey forearm. Mossberg sent me a new stock to match and I changed it out. I'm happy now!

The pictures demonstrate the change. Hope you enjoy. Thanks for the inquiry. pax

Last edited by leopax; 08-25-2009 at 05:46 AM. Reason: resize picture

no pic...
    My Website: Nerd with a .45

Talking

There it is! Good job, Pax, and happy shooting!
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson

Thanks for your interest. It forced me to learn how to insert a picture. Be safe. pax
    'No arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is as formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women.' - Ronald Reagan
    Si vis pacem, para bellum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast