Protecting Your Pets?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Protecting Your Pets?

Protecting Your Pets?

A coyote killed a dog recently in New Orleans City Park. You can read the article here.

That got me thinking, would it be legal to draw and fire if a coyote was attacking one of my dogs? I'm thinking it might be a kind of grey area since you need to fear for you life, not sure if your pets would count. I talked to a friend that is a New Orleans police officer and while he didn't say Yes or No it seemed like he was leaning towards "I" would need to feel like my life in is danger and that a coyote going after my dog wouldn't fly.

The reason I'm wondering about this is that I like a minute from City Park and walk my dogs there almost every morning.

Memberships: NRA, GOA, USCCA
    Guns: Glock 26, Ruger LCP, Beretta 90-Two .40, Beretta PX4 Storm Subcompact 9MM, Beretta Tomcat, Bushmaster Patrolman M4

In Tampa you have to worry about an aligator more than a coyote
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

4. Lukem, seeing that you are from Louisiana as well, let me say this. In louisiana a pet is still by law considered property. Therefore If somebody kicks or even kills your dog you can't use lethal force ( I know obvious right?) Anyway, as from protecting from a wild animal such as coyote I assume Leo might consider that you weren't in danger. However the coyote close enough to attack a dog is obviously not concerned with people. To me one could argue either side. I remember this because the instructor that taught my ccw class drilled into us that lethal force on "property" is a no go. With the obvious exception of your house with you inside. But what would they charge you with? First degree coyote slaughter? Lol. I think if it were the coyote or the dog I'd shoot the coyote.

5. But what would they charge you with? First degree coyote slaughter? Lol.
    Unlawful discharge of a firearm. Endangering the Public.
    Is City Park a gun free area? Most public parks are. Check your local codes to find out. If so you have Illegal possession of a firearm. Plenty of things to charge you with if they want to. Heck, they may throw in a noise ordiance violation for the sound of the gun going off. Don't underestimate them.
    Steve
    President/Founding member
    Louisiana Open Carry Awareness League www.laopencarry.org

6. Or you could always just say the dog was looking right at you then attacked and you were afraid for your safety

7. Also it might depend on the state. Here we have a pretty lax castle doctrine law that allows you to protect your property and a dog would follow under that category. With that being said I wouldn't recommend firing if you are on say a crowded street or anything like that. I'm sure a new puppy would cost a lot less than negligent homicide or something else bad.

8. Quote Originally Posted by lukem View Post
    A coyote killed a dog recently in New Orleans City Park. You can read the article here.

That got me thinking, would it be legal to draw and fire if a coyote was attacking one of my dogs? I'm thinking it might be a kind of grey area since you need to fear for you life, not sure if your pets would count. I talked to a friend that is a New Orleans police officer and while he didn't say Yes or No it seemed like he was leaning towards "I" would need to feel like my life in is danger and that a coyote going after my dog wouldn't fly.

The reason I'm wondering about this is that I like a minute from City Park and walk my dogs there almost every morning.
    I walk my dog and often wonder if it would be legal draw your weapon on let's say a pit bull, if it were in the process of tearing and ripping flesh would that be considered family member or a friend? Good question, Luke
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it."Frederic Bastia

Pennsylvania has a good law for using deadly force for dog/pet attacks. I will have to reread it and see it it also applies to wild animals.

I haven't carried in the park yet since I don't have my LA permit yet (working on that one). But I've been carrying a golf club with me just in case.

Memberships: NRA, GOA, USCCA
    Guns: Glock 26, Ruger LCP, Beretta 90-Two .40, Beretta PX4 Storm Subcompact 9MM, Beretta Tomcat, Bushmaster Patrolman M4

One other possible "Jam-up" hre might be if the wild animal is a "protected" animal. Before I moved to my current residence, the community had to close the lake for a year because of high bacteria levels due to a large number of Canadian Geese using it as their restroom. Granted the geese were not physically dangerous (though I could see them going after a small pet...they have nasty looking barbed tongues too!) but killing a Federally protected animal usually comes with a large fine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast