Louisiana no longer recognizes FL non-resident permits
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Louisiana no longer recognizes FL non-resident permits

Louisiana no longer recognizes FL non-resident permits

The maps have been updated to reflect this. Next time, please don't post the same thread multiple times. I delete the others leaving this one. Thanks.

Memberships: NRA, GOA, USCCA
    Guns: Glock 26, Ruger LCP, Beretta 90-Two .40, Beretta PX4 Storm Subcompact 9MM, Beretta Tomcat, Bushmaster Patrolman M4

Quote Originally Posted by lukem View Post
    The maps have been updated to reflect this. Next time, please don't post the same thread multiple times. I delete the others leaving this one. Thanks.
    Thanks for the quick update and sorry about the multiple threads. I had myself a bit animated after reading that thread last night. Just wanted to make sure everyone saw it!

I sent an email to LA Gov Jindal complaining about this illegal change by the Louisiana State Police (LSP). It clearly violates LRS 40:1379.3 T.(1) reprinted here:

"T.(1) Possession of a current and valid concealed handgun permit issued pursuant to this Section shall constitute sufficient evidence of the background check required pursuant to 18 USC 922(t). A current and valid concealed handgun permit issued by another state shall be deemed to be valid within this state if a current and valid concealed handgun permit issued by Louisiana is valid in those states. An out-of-state permit holder carrying a concealed handgun pursuant to this Paragraph is bound by the laws of this state regarding carrying a concealed handgun pursuant to a permit issued in accordance with this Section."

Emphasis added.

Nowhere in the above law does it make a distinction between (or even mention) resident and non-resident permits.

The LSP clearly has no authority to change the law as they see fit. I'm hoping LA Gov. Jindal who has Presidential aspirations and is (or has it changed to "was"?) a staunch 2nd amendment supporter will get the LSP to correct this and enforce laws rather than re-writing them - that's the job of the LA legislature!

On another note, the statement about not honoring non-resident FL permits was REMOVED from the LSP website. Very strange.

Strange, because Louisiana still honors non-resident permits from many other states. Why would Florida be the one exception, especially when so many other states honor Florida's permit? Not long ago, Louisiana agreed to honor permits from Maine, which does issue non-resident permits.

At least Louisiana still honors Utah non-resident and Alabama.

according to hangunlaw.org LA reversed their decision on this matter.

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    according to hangunlaw.org LA reversed their decision on this matter.
    I'll believe it when I see it posted on the offical LA State Public Safety website.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

Yes, updated 10/21 (yesterday). handgun.usa is pretty careful, but they're not perfect. I'd still check to be sure.

Louisiana State Police have already removed their statement about not honoring non-resident Florida permits from their website. However, Florida has not removed the evil footnote (4) from their reciprocity list yet. FL is good about updating their list, but they're not as fast as handgunlaw.us.

From http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/new...led_carry.html
    "(4) These states will honor the Florida concealed weapon license ONLY IF the licensee is a resident of the State of Florida."

Quote Originally Posted by rom View Post
    Louisiana State Police have already removed their statement about not honoring non-resident Florida permits from their website. However, Florida has not removed the evil footnote (4) from their reciprocity list yet. FL is good about updating their list, but they're not as fast as handgunlaw.us.

From Concealed Carry Reciprocity - Division of Licensing, FDACS
    "(4) These states will honor the Florida concealed weapon license ONLY IF the licensee is a resident of the State of Florida."
    Florida's website has been updated. Footnote (4) next to Louisiana has been deleted. So its official, LA recognizes FL non-resident permits (again).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast