Wally-World Experience
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wally-World Experience

Wally-World Experience

I was at my local Wal-Mart tonight (Sanford) and I bought some .22 ammo for target shooting.

I was a bit taken aback when the clerk asked if the ammo was for a pistol or a rifle .... to my knowledge there are no Maine state laws requiring him to do so.

Let me explain that I am a law abiding citizen, never been in trouble with the law except for a few speeding tickets when I was in high school they have been long taken care of.

I am 57 years old, no one would confuse me for someone 21 or less.

So why is Wal-Mart keeping track of if my ammo purchase is for a rifle or a pistol?

Sincerely yours,

David
    Glock 23 Gen 4 / Glock 30SF Gen3 .45 ACP / Glock 33 Gen3 .356 Sig / Kimber Ultra Carry II .45 ACP / Interarms Stainless Steel PPK .380

Maybe it wasn't wally world asking, it was the clerk curious about firearms.

The question pops up on the cash register and he was just reading it. Nothing personal at all. I bought a knife a while back from Wal-Mart and the fellow almost busted out laughing when he asked me if I was 16. Their registers are programed for certain questions depending on what the bar code of the purchase is and they have to answer it. The clerk can ask you, or assume something that may get them fired. No big deal. If you purchase .22 ammo it is going to ask for a rifle or pistol and the clerk has to ener something. may not be a Maine law but it is a Wal-Mart policy. To avoid that question shop somewhere else.

wolfhunter Guest
    They ask that question here also. I just say, "Yes."

It's a wally world question? WTF?This explains it.

Can't buy a knife without questions? But you can buy cartloads of household cleaning supplies and build Mcgiver bombs?

Hey remember who used to be on Walmart's board of directors? HRC, thats who.

The reason is because of some state laws. In some, you can own a rifle under 21 years of age, but not a hand gun.
    Since .22lr is usable in both rifles and hand guns, they ask to determine age requirements.
    If it's for a hand gun, the next question is "Are you over 21" or "May I see your ID for age verification?"

It's done as a way to reduce liability by preventing sales of ammo for a gun the customer shouldn't have.

Quote Originally Posted by Booga View Post
    The reason is because of some state laws. In some, you can own a rifle under 21 years of age, but not a hand gun.
    Since .22lr is usable in both rifles and hand guns, they ask to determine age requirements.
    If it's for a hand gun, the next question is "Are you over 21" or "May I see your ID for age verification?"

It's done as a way to reduce liability by preventing sales of ammo for a gun the customer shouldn't have.
    Booga, I agree, its lawyer speak. If you purchase a several different types of "pistol" ammo, they will work in certain carbines (rifles). Not picking on you, but these wally world lawyers are total morons. I like wolfhunters answers to the wally world machine. "yes".
    I pray the underpaid, and abused female employee's collect their lawsuit from this giant.

9. I was asked the same question at Wally World here in Atlanta. The explanation was "we can only sell six boxes of ammo for handguns" I was buying .22 so I said it was for a rifle. The clerk had to enter "yes" for each box. I could buy as much as I wanted then, go figure!?

Walmart in NY too

Quote Originally Posted by jsecrist View Post
    I was asked the same question at Wally World here in Atlanta. The explanation was "we can only sell six boxes of ammo for handguns" I was buying .22 so I said it was for a rifle. The clerk had to enter "yes" for each box. I could buy as much as I wanted then, go figure!?
    Yep~~ They (Walmart in NY) required seeing my pistol permit and driver's license last week on a 9mm ammo purchase (I'm 58, bald & gray haired), so I walked out and went to our local wholesaler. No paper work required at all. Should have gone there in the first place~ So it's a Walmart policy I'd guess

"Both"

Peace...
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast