Portland PD Confiscates Lawfully Possessed Concealed Firearm

Thread: Portland PD Confiscates Lawfully Possessed Concealed Firearm

1. Portland PD Confiscates Lawfully Possessed Concealed Firearm

JUST RECEIVED FROM A CLIENT THAT HAPPENS TO BE A SGT. IN THE USAF

Hi Paul,

I just talked with you about a very serious automobile accident I was involved in. My concealed firearm was taken by the PPD while I was unable to resist or object to their actions. At the time, I was in possession of my CCW permit and when I went to recover my property the next day, I was told when I arrived that I would not be issued my firearm. In addition, the police dept. was, to say the least not very forthcoming in regard to the return of a rightfully owned and was going to take weeks to recover my HK .45 USP as well that I would have to meet with a specific officer? I would very much like to have my sidearm returned to me without any further delay or negative repercussions on their part as well in a timely fashion. Of key note here: There was no violation of anykind, no ticket(s) or other infractions were issued at the time of the incident or after, there was no law broken before during or after this accident. I am very concerned about why the Police would even take my rightfully owned, secured and concealed firearm. Thank you so much Paul, in advance for any assistance in this matter.

3. My attorney has over 30 years of firearms law experience. Here is his recommendation:

Paul:

If he was "out of it", I can see removing the firearm from the car. I can see putting it in inventory. I can see running it and demanding ID. What I cannot see is a refusal to give it back after running it on "Maine Missing and Wanted" database.

He should go to the AG's office and complain about theft of a firearm and deprivation of his civil rights. Again, that's assuming the story is as he says.

He should go also go in to Portland PD with his CWP, a ten-print fingerprint card and a reporter. that might get some action. Finally, his commanding officer might assist thru channels formal or informal.

4. THIS IS GOOD INFORMATION HE COULD HAVE RECEIVED WHEN HE ARRIVED TO PICK UP HIS FIREARM LAST WEEK.

THANK YOU,
    PJM

I have researched the incident you refer to in your email to Chief Craig. Mr. Adam Morton was involved in a car accident on January 3, 2011 and was carrying a firearm on his person at the time (case number 2011-000103). He required treatment at Maine Medical Center for injuries received in the accident. The firearm was taken from Mr. Morton at his request, presumably because he could not be treated a the hospital while carrying it. We are holding the firearm in our property system. It can be returned to Mr. Morton after he completes a form requesting the return and we verify he is not a prohibited person. This process is part of our regular operating rules and should not take more a than a few days at most.

I would be happy to speak with Mr. Morton directly. Feel free to share my contact information with him. I hope he is feeling well and recovering from his injuries.

Respectfully,
    Commander Vernon Malloch
    Uniform Operations Group
    Portland Police Department
    [email protected]

Paul J. Mattson
    NRA Certified Instructor / RSO
    Maine CWP Training
    101 Main St.
    Harrison, ME 04040

(207) 583-4723
    CELL 232-7063