Carrying in another person's vehicle?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25

Thread: Carrying in another person's vehicle?

  1. Carrying in another person's vehicle?

    I have a CCW Resident Permit here in Maine. I have a question about carrying in a vehicle that is not my own.

    If I am riding in my girlfriend's vehicle and I place the firearm in say the glove compartment, and we were to get pulled over, would the firearm be the responsibility of my girlfriend since the car is registered in her name? In other words, would she get in trouble for a firearm being in the vehicle that she does not have a CCW permit for?

    I'm assuming if the firearm remains on me there is no issue, but once it leaves me is it then considered property of the vehicle owner?

  2.   
  3. #2
    What situation would you have to leave your weapon or to put it in her glove box?

  4. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk67 View Post
    What situation would you have to leave your weapon or to put it in her glove box?
    LOL I can think of one.

    Check local laws but where I live it would be no problem as long as you are in the car with the gun. If you leave her in the car with it, well, PROBLEM!
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head!

  5. Wondering why you would put your gun in hew glove compartment? If pulled over you should always let the officer know you have a firearm and a CCW. I would think if the weapon was in the glove compartment then it is not covered by the CCW as the first C means Carry. If your state is a free carry for legal citizens as we are here in Arizona then there is no problem as the girl friend would be able to carry legally, provided she is of age and a citizen. I would tend to believe that once you put the gun in the glove compartment it is her responsibility and if you state is not a free carry then she is carrying illegally. If you believe you could open the glove compartment, retrieve your gun and be ready to defend yourself if a defensive situation arises you may be fooling yourself.

  6. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by barnnies View Post
    If pulled over you should always let the officer know you have a firearm and a CCW.
    is that so?? please elaborate
    here's a hint. do a search and maybe you'll find a few discussions on this topic.
    in addition the OP stated he lives in ME, he doesn't need you to preach about how things work in AZ
    For post #1 you've stepped on a big pile of poop.

  7. #6
    In my state, everyone with access to the concealed firearm needs a CHP. If it is on you, only you need one.

  8. #7
    You don't have to inform the LEO in the State of Maine. There is no particular statute that addresses this concern. I personally don't put any firearm in the glovebox because if I do get pulled over, I don't want a gun sliding out when I get my reg and insurance card. As long as you are in the vehicle with the firearm and can vouch that you are "in possession" then you should be fine and as far as I know, there hasn't ever been an issue like this in Maine. You certainly wouldn't want to forget its in there and then your gf gets pulled over in possession of a loaded gun....

  9. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by barnnies View Post
    Wondering why you would put your gun in hew glove compartment? If pulled over you should always let the officer know you have a firearm and a CCW. I would think if the weapon was in the glove compartment then it is not covered by the CCW as the first C means Carry. If your state is a free carry for legal citizens as we are here in Arizona then there is no problem as the girl friend would be able to carry legally, provided she is of age and a citizen. I would tend to believe that once you put the gun in the glove compartment it is her responsibility and if you state is not a free carry then she is carrying illegally. If you believe you could open the glove compartment, retrieve your gun and be ready to defend yourself if a defensive situation arises you may be fooling yourself.
    Ummm. Stop giving advice.

  10. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Glock20 View Post
    In my state, everyone with access to the concealed firearm needs a CHP. If it is on you, only you need one.
    Not in Maine Mr. Nebraska. Our firearm laws aren't legislated to death.

  11. Quote Originally Posted by barnnies View Post
    Wondering why you would put your gun in hew glove compartment?
    On a long trip, it is much more comfortable to put the gun in the glove box than keep it in the holster. How much need could there possibly be for split second access to the firearm when moving down the road in a vehicle?

    Quote Originally Posted by barnnies View Post
    If pulled over you should always let the officer know you have a firearm and a CCW.
    I would absolutely disagree. Unless I am required to disclose to the officer that I possess a firearm and a CCW permit, it is not going to benefit anyone to disclose it. Unless you want to present your CCW permit as a member of the "good guy" club in the hopes that the officer will let you off without giving you a ticket.

    Quote Originally Posted by barnnies View Post
    I would think if the weapon was in the glove compartment then it is not covered by the CCW as the first C means Carry.
    Unless you can speak to Maine law (or the law in any state that might be discussed) what you think doesn't really matter. What the law of the state the person is physically located in matters. In Washington, for example, as long as the person placing the loaded gun in the glove box has a CPL and remains anywhere inside the vehicle, then it is covered, whether that person is the driver or a passenger anywhere in the vehicle. If the gun is not loaded, in Washington, than nobody has to have a CPL for it to be in the glove box.

    Quote Originally Posted by barnnies View Post
    If your state is a free carry for legal citizens as we are here in Arizona then there is no problem as the girl friend would be able to carry legally, provided she is of age and a citizen.
    Again you are wrong. There is no requirement to be a citizen to possess a handgun in Arizona. A person must be legally present in the United States, but there are many ways to be legally present in the United States and not be a citizen.

    Quote Originally Posted by barnnies View Post
    I would tend to believe that once you put the gun in the glove compartment it is her responsibility and if you state is not a free carry then she is carrying illegally.
    It's already been clearly shown that what you tend to believe in this situation doesn't really matter much.

    Quote Originally Posted by barnnies View Post
    If you believe you could open the glove compartment, retrieve your gun and be ready to defend yourself if a defensive situation arises you may be fooling yourself.
    That is about the only thing that I would agree with you on. HOWEVER, traveling down the road in a moving vehicle with the windows up and the doors locked, there isn't much chance of a defensive situation arising that would require immediate access to the gun.

    Thank you for a very entertaining first post - you will fit right in with many members of this forum.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast