Adjustable stock
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adjustable stock

Adjustable stock

Adjustable stocks on rifles and shotguns in MA. Legal? Just when I think I finally figured out all the laws I need to know in this bass ackwards state.

My buddy is buying a new AR and he was told the adjustable stock will have to be "pinned in one position permanently."

That makes about as much sense to me as welding the drivers seat in my truck in one spot.
    You can run... but you'll just die tired. 3%

In this case the rifle is "new" i.e. made after the 1994 ban. I'm trying to find the exact law and section on the MA gun laws site, but it's gotta be buried in there deep. Once I find it I'll post it. Yes that is the case here. Gotta hate this state...

I have a pre-ban AR so I was able to add a 6 position DPMS stock.

Peace...
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

Ya. Don't go crazy looking brother. I believe you. It's overwhelming digging through the laws here. I especially like the one where if you walk across Boston Common you are "required " to carry a shot gun.

Guess I'd better pin the stock on my 870 as well then. That will give me a reason to buy a new gun that fits my kid.

Appreciate the help, as always.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by OldOwl View Post
    Ya. Don't go crazy looking brother. I believe you. It's overwhelming digging through the laws here. I especially like the one where if you walk across Boston Common you are "required " to carry a shot gun.

Guess I'd better pin the stock on my 870 as well then. That will give me a reason to buy a new gun that fits my kid.

Appreciate the help, as always.

Thanks.
    You're welcome, any time... I sent off an email message to my buddy who is my local dealer (FFL) I know he knows the Law # and section. Once I have it I'll post it for reference.

Peace...

Evidently, my friend did some digging on his own and found this. Mass. Laws and Regulations

Now I'm even more confused. Since my 780 is a pump action not a semi auto, it might be excluded? I extended the mag but it still only holds eight rounds.

Here is what I got from my friend (FFL)..

Here's some references, etc. It doesn't specifically say anything other than the stock cannot be folding or collapsible.

M.G.L. - Chapter 140, Section 121

MA mimicks the Federal Law which states a semi-automatic rifle is an assault weapon if it can accept a detachable magazine and has two or more of the following:
    * A folding or telescoping stock
    * A pistol grip
    * A bayonet mount
    * A flash suppressor, or threads to attach one
    * A grenade launcher.

(For the Crime Bill's definition of assault shotguns and pistols, a list of assault weapons, and further legal issues see Crime Bill FAQ.)

I kinda wish mine had the last option.

Peace...

My wife bought a new S&W AR version .22 rifle this winter. The stock came pinned for MA.

Does she like it? Does she use it much? I've been thinking of converting my Ruger 10/22. I've had it since they first started making them and it never gets much use the way it sits.

Quote Originally Posted by OldOwl View Post
    Does she like it? Does she use it much? I've been thinking of converting my Ruger 10/22. I've had it since they first started making them and it never gets much use the way it sits.
    Send that 10/22 my way and I'll see that it gets a good home and lots of use.

I've been looking for one to replace the one I sold many years ago. They cost $250 new. I recall paying $80 for mine back in 1989. My son would love one..

Peace...

Ya. I think I had to dig deep to buy it back then. I was working for about $5.00 an hour. If I ever decide to let it go I promise I'll check with you first. But that's unlikely since I still have my FIRST .22 single shot Marlin I think mom bought for me in CT for about $18 brand new.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast