Massachusetts License to Carry Questions From a Newcomer
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Massachusetts License to Carry Questions From a Newcomer

  1. Question Massachusetts License to Carry Questions From a Newcomer

    Hello everyone!

    I know that there are a lot of experience people on this forum. I know that my answers may seem stupid, but out of everyone that I know, I'm the only person that has an interest in firearms. I honestly have no direction except for the internet and I was hoping that I would be able to get some answers from real people.

    I want to apply for a LTC, probably a B class as I'm a first timer and, at the moment, I'd only want it for target shooting as I've never handled a firearm before, though I have basic knowledge of gun safety.

    My questions for now are:

    Do I have to take the gun safety course before I apply for my LTC? How much do they usually go for?

    How long does the process normally take after an application is submitted?

    Is target shooting considered a valid reason? Will I have to give a better reason than that?

    Thank you very much for reading. I hope that I'll be able to converse with some of you as I get to know the forums better.

  2.   
  3. #2

    Post

    Welcome
    Quote Originally Posted by Erisella View Post
    Hello everyone!

    I know that there are a lot of experience people on this forum. I know that my answers may seem stupid, but out of everyone that I know, I'm the only person that has an interest in firearms. I honestly have no direction except for the internet and I was hoping that I would be able to get some answers from real people.

    1: I want to apply for a LTC, probably a B class as I'm a first timer and, at the moment, I'd only want it for target shooting as I've never handled a firearm before, though I have basic knowledge of gun safety.

    My questions for now are:

    2: Do I have to take the gun safety course before I apply for my LTC? How much do they usually go for?

    3: How long does the process normally take after an application is submitted?

    4: Is target shooting considered a valid reason? Will I have to give a better reason than that?

    Thank you very much for reading. I hope that I'll be able to converse with some of you as I get to know the forums better.
    First, we need to know what city or town you are applying in.

    1: NEVER EVER apply for a B, apply for LTC-A-ALP= All Lawful Purpose

    2: YES you MUST take some sort of safety course BEFORE applying, and the safety instructor MUST be Mass certified.
    1. Hunter Safety Course : FREE but difficult to find a class or
    2. NRA Home Firearm Safety Course , $75 to $150 or
    3. NRA Basic Pistol $100 to $150

    To find a course/price/date, you can search here NRAInstructors.org - Portal for NRA certified Instructors, NRA Education and Training

    3: Depending on your town/city, it can take between 1 week and up-to 6 months, yes I'm serious

    4: You DON'T want to put Target & Hunting or Sporting on your app., put ALL LAWFUL PURPOSE. In SOME towns you do have to give a reason/letter as to why you want ALP, I don't believe you have to put a reason if you want Target & Hunting or Sporting, but I strongly recommend you DON'T PUT Target and Hunting or Sporting, ALWAYS APPLY FOR A-ALP.

    Check THIS TOPIC to get an idea of what your town will issue for LTC.
    If its RED, and you want All Lawful Purpose (only license that allows concealed carry) , these towns require some letter and explanation why you should get ALP
    If its BLACK, then they will only issue you a Class B.
    If its GREEN, then these towns will issue ALP without much hassle, they usually just take your $100 and if you qualify, they send you your LTC-ALP.

  4. Hello!

    Thank you so much for your answers. I currently live in Cambridge, which is indeed listed as red on that list. Though I'm planning on moving to Quincy later on in the year and I see that they are listed as green, so I might just wait until then.

    Your answers were very helpful. Thank you again. I will have to looking into all this further.

  5. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Erisella View Post
    Hello!

    Thank you so much for your answers. I currently live in Cambridge, which is indeed listed as red on that list. Though I'm planning on moving to Quincy later on in the year and I see that they are listed as green, so I might just wait until then.

    Your answers were very helpful. Thank you again. I will have to looking into all this further.
    Yes WAIT UNTIL you move to Quincy...

    because, if you get a restricted in Cambridge and move to Quincy, you may still have to wait 6 years before you can change to an unrestricted

    Oh, and Quincy MAY only give you ALP if you're OVER 25, I have to re-research this one

    yes Masshole is a very difficult state to navigate

    Lynn, Malden are two towns that gives out ALP to everyone even if you just turned 21 today ;)

  6. Oh wow, it's been a while. I'm sorry.

    I'm turning 25 this year, so I don't know if that helps with the process at all for getting a ALP. My boyfriend has decided that he wants to get an LTC as well, but is a bit more on the fence. I think he'd rather have just a FID as he's not sure if he would want to carry the gun on his person.

    My question now is, how different is the process for a FID than for a LTC? Should he just not bother with the FID and just go for the LTC like I am?

    I know, I'm a barrel of questions.

  7. #6

    Post

    Quote Originally Posted by Erisella View Post
    Oh wow, it's been a while. I'm sorry.

    I'm turning 25 this year, so I don't know if that helps with the process at all for getting a ALP. My boyfriend has decided that he wants to get an LTC as well, but is a bit more on the fence. I think he'd rather have just a FID as he's not sure if he would want to carry the gun on his person.

    My question now is, how different is the process for a FID than for a LTC? Should he just not bother with the FID and just go for the LTC like I am?

    I know, I'm a barrel of questions.
    FID only allows the possession of rifle/shotguns, tell him to STAY AWAY FROM FID , he'll be wasting $100 for getting a FID
    Only people that gets FID are people under 21, or people thats disqualified for an LTC, and if they are disqualified for an LTC, theres a chance they may be violating mass laws if they have an FID and is in possession of any weapons, so, don't even think about an FID, even if he plans not to carry.

  8. I clarified it with him with your answer and he's not going to get an FID. We're looking into taking our first safety class come Spring (closer to when I'll be moving to Quincy).

    All your info has been so useful. Thank you so much. I really appreciate the help and advice.

  9. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Erisella View Post
    I clarified it with him with your answer and he's not going to get an FID. We're looking into taking our first safety class come Spring (closer to when I'll be moving to Quincy).

    All your info has been so useful. Thank you so much. I really appreciate the help and advice.
    If you need a female NRA instructor to get your certificate, I can recommend one at Boston Gun Range on the Red Line (T) Stop

    You can get your certificate now, they don't expire

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast