Are we required to let LEO know if we are carrying concealed? - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Are we required to let LEO know if we are carrying concealed?

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    I'm curious.... why are cops more deserving of more "courtesy" than other people? Do you tell your garbage man about your gun? Your garbage man is more likely to be killed on the job than a cop is. Would you tell a taxi driver that you hailed/hired about your gun? A taxi driver is 4x more likely to die due to homicide than a cop is.
    When was the last time a garbage man or taxi driver had the power to arrest you or take you to jail? And why are you talking to your garbage man? Shouldn't you be in bed still asleep when he comes around?

Quote Originally Posted by G50AE View Post
    How about the Hotel's night auditor, or the waiter at the local restaurant? They are also more dangerous jobs than being a LEO.
    Aren't waiters robbers for the price of a meal or is it just the owners? And Hotel's should be arrested for the prices they charge. Shoot them, no but hold them responsible, yes.

Why are we digging up a year old thread to start a flame war?
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

Quote Originally Posted by Treo:284008
    I dunno...people really like to argue about this topic...

Or completely miss the point of a post like apple answering g50 :)

I always get a good laugh outta this topic
    “One of the illusions of life is that the present hour is not the critical, decisive one.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

6. Quote Originally Posted by Treo View Post
    Because we are out of matches and/or butane so we can't start a new flame war.

Quote Originally Posted by applessshch View Post
    When was the last time a garbage man or taxi driver had the power to arrest you or take you to jail?
    In Washington state my garbage man and taxi drivers do have the power of arrest for offenses that are committed in their presence. In addition they are authorized, by law, to use force to detain persons who have committed felonies:

RCW 9A.16.020
    Use of force — When lawful.
    The use, attempt, or offer to use force upon or toward the person of another is not unlawful in the following cases:
    (1) Whenever necessarily used by a public officer in the performance of a legal duty, or a person assisting the officer and acting under the officer's direction;
    (2) Whenever necessarily used by a person arresting one who has committed a felony and delivering him or her to a public officer competent to receive him or her into custody;
    And the Washington state Attorney General:
    http://www.atg.wa.gov/AGOOpinions/op...chive&id=10234

In connection with the general question, this office, in an opinion dated December 27, 1927, to the director of health (1927-28 AGO 427), stated that: ". . . If a crime is actually being committed in one's presence, a person, whether he be a peace officer or not, has the power to arrest without warrant. . . ."
    Later, in an opinion dated July 31, 1928, to the chief of the highway patrol (1927-28 AGO 867), it was said that:
    ". . . every citizen has the right to arrest any person [[Orig. Op. Page 4]] whom he actually observes in the act of committing a misdemeanor. . . ."
    In 4 Am.Jur., Arrest, § 35, it is said that:
    "While the authority of a private person to arrest is more limited than that of an officer, in general it may be said that a private person may arrest an offender against criminal laws where the offense is committed in his presence; . . ."
    And in § 38:
    ". . . a private person may arrest for an affray or breach of the peace committed in his presence, and while it is continuing, but not for a misdemeanor on suspicion, regardless of how well it is grounded. . . ."
    The same authority exists for a private person to make an arrest as an officer for misdemeanor committed in his presence, under the common law. In this state, it has been held that the right of an officer to make an arrest without a warrant exists even though the misdemeanor committed in his presence be not a breach of the peace. (State v. Deitz, 136 Wash. 228.) Also, cf.State v. Olsen, 43 Wn. (2d) 726. A private person, if the arrest by him be lawful, is accorded the same right and privileges as officers in accomplishing the purpose. Smith v. Drew, 175 Wash. 11.
    If I were you, at least in Washington state, I would make sure your garbage man and taxi driver is aware of your permit to carry - they DO have the power to arrest and they are more likely to die on the job than a police officer is.

I do apologize... I notice this thread was in the Massachusetts forum....

Although, in MA, citizen's arrest does exist, y'all just don't trust your private citizens as much as Washington does:

Commonwealth v. Harris, 11 Mass. App. Ct. 165 (1981). Citizen's Arrest. "In Massachusetts a private person may lawfully arrest someone who has in fact committed a felony... The stricter requirement for a citizen's arrest -- that the person arrested be shown in fact to have committed a felony -- is designed to discourage such arrests and to prevent "the dangers of uncontrolled vigilantism and anarchistic actions." ...Generally, the person arrested must be convicted of a felony before the "in fact committed" element is satisfied and the arrest validated. If the citizen is in error in making the arrest, he may be liable in tort for false arrest or false imprisonment."
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

BIG SIGH....

NavyLCDR...you are correct...PRMA does not trust its citizens at all
    "Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum"

Quote Originally Posted by thedub88:283935
    Quote Originally Posted by Flashlight22 View Post
    No do we do not have that system. If pulled over and asked if theres any weapons in the car then we have to notify the LEO that you are carrying and licensed to then wait for further instruction.Otherwise we just give them our drivers license and registration and wait for the ticket.
    Thats not what I heard. I'm being told that when the leo runs your plates or your drivers licence, a big "C" comes up on the screen
    Well ive been pulled over while carrying and was never asked. Same with my girlfriend she just got a speeding ticket last week by a state trooper and she never got asked if she had any weapons in the car.

Quote Originally Posted by thedub88 View Post
    Thats not what I heard. I'm being told that when the leo runs your plates or your drivers licence, a big "C" comes up on the screen
    Nope, I've verified with buddies in Boston PD, MA is not capable of that. There is no interconnection between CHSB/FRB and the Registry.

Well, I guess I owe everyone here and apology, not for what I said as I meant it to be cute, but for making you think I'm trying to start a flame war. Totally not intentional. I thought the subject was worth posting on. I'm new to guns and this sight and find this subject interesting. Sorry if you all thought I was trying to start trouble. I'll be more serious from here on out, no laughter allowed. Got it.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefighterchen View Post
    I dunno...people really like to argue about this topic...

Or completely miss the point of a post like apple answering g50 :)

I always get a good laugh outta this topic
    I noted a post not too long ago that was insinuating that G50 was a sock puppet for icemanpls who is now posting on THR
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast