New to Massachusetts, how is it?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to Massachusetts, how is it?

1. New to Massachusetts, how is it?

I am about to move from Phoenix to Boston. How is the law around here, how easy is it for a non resident to get a permit? What are the major differences from Phoenix?

Being spoiled by Scottsdale Gun Club.. Where do I find both the best rangesaround here as well as the best instructors?

Any other information and advice is highly valued

Thanks for your time and respond.

-Nga

Resident permits - it varies from town to town. I'm told Boston and Worcester are the most difficult.

Non-resident permits - not easy, but can be done.

If you're going to live here - I'd start now learning the laws. They are VERY convoluted, the kind that can trip up an otherwise law-abiding citizen. ESPECIALLY do your homework about high-capacity magazines if you intend to bring any with you.
    S&W M&P 45; Ruger GP100 .357 Magnum; Charter Arms .38 Undercover
    http://www.usacarry.com/forums/members/phillip-gain-albums-phil-s-photos-picture3828-reciprocity-map-29jun11.JPG

Also - what sort of instruction are you looking for? I'm newly-certified (waiting on credentials from NRA),and I shoot primarily at a private range about 40-50 miles west of Boston.
    http://www.usacarry.com/forums/members/phillip-gain-albums-phil-s-photos-picture3828-reciprocity-map-29jun11.JPG

5. Does that mean that they have the same limitations on magazines as California have?
    And yes, the plan is to live there.

Quote Originally Posted by Nga View Post
    Does that mean that they have the same limitations on magazines as California have?
    I'm an instructor, not an attorney...so I can't really give legal advice. But handgun magazines over 10 rounds are generally illegal, with a few exceptions. You can find more information at goal.org or mass.gov

You must be insane. Move to New Hampshire or Vermont. Mass, NY and NJ are east Kalifornia
    http://www.change.org/petitions/self...tate-residents
    NRA Life Member, SCOPE,SAF Join up!

How is the law around here, how easy is it for a non resident to get a permit? -Nga
    If you are moving here, your a resident, not a non-resident, so dont worry about the non resident licence. Mass has 2 resident licences, class A and class B. Class A allows for concealed carry. Class B is just a buy, own, and transport licence. I THINK I heard you have to live here for x amount of time before you can apply. As said before, Mass is a "may" issue state, and it depends on the city you are moving to.

I also encourage looking at New Hampshire. If you want some places near the border, PM me.

yeah, I shot there for years If I remember its also mandatory one year if you have a HG and you arent up to snuff. They dont call them massholes for nothing

Does that mean that they have the same limitations on magazines as California have?
    Think hard about this. High taxes, high heating costs, cold weather, wall-to-wall liberals... most of us are trying to leave the Northeast.
    GOD, GUNS and GUITARS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast