Any interest in an open carry event in Massachusetts? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Any interest in an open carry event in Massachusetts?

Quote Originally Posted by tuts40 View Post
    How many of the folks here are in the MA area? I'll go, if you pony up a round trip airline ticket, hotel and taxi and don't mind if I only stop by for a sandwich... hehe
    As a non-resident, you could not attend, unless you had the appropriate non-resident FID card. Mass requires the FID to purchase or possess.
    S&W M&P 45; Ruger GP100 .357 Magnum; Charter Arms .38 Undercover
    http://www.usacarry.com/forums/members/phillip-gain-albums-phil-s-photos-picture3828-reciprocity-map-29jun11.JPG

Well target practice is included. They say sporting is the best restriction to have, which is pretty telling of the mindset here. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Gain View Post
    Sorry to hear about the sporting restriction. But that's a weird way to interpret it. I would have expected a sporting restriction to mean hunting, competing in shooting events, that sort of thing. Very odd.
    Phill, what you are saying is the target and hunting restriction. This site explains all Mass gun laws and explains the restrictions http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/massachusetts.pdf

TARGET & HUNTING restricts possession to the purpose of lawful recreational shooting or competition; for use in the lawful pursuit of game animals and birds; for personal protection in the home; and for the purpose of collecting (other than machine guns). Includes travel to and from activity location

SPORTING restricts possession to the purpose of lawful recreational shooting or competition; for use in the lawful pursuit of game animals and birds; for personal protection in the home; for the purpose of collecting (other than machine guns); and for outdoor recreational activities such as hiking, camping, cross country skiing, or similar activities. Includes travel to and from activity location.

The way this reads, it sounds more like "at the range, in the woods, or on your way to/from" in both cases. I don't think one would be covered for a marathon or urban/suburban hiking. That's what threw me off. (Well, that and the fact that I'm fortunate enough to have no restrictions, so I hadn't looked into the details of what those might be.)
    http://www.usacarry.com/forums/members/phillip-gain-albums-phil-s-photos-picture3828-reciprocity-map-29jun11.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Jbrl View Post
    Well target practice is included. They say sporting is the best restriction to have, which is pretty telling of the mindset here. ;)
    I would say "No Restriction" is the best restriction to have.

I've been kicking around the idea of putting an event together here in Westborough. I'd want to do it right, ie get approval from the local police chief, invite some pro-gun politicians, the press, GOAL, etc. Nothing terribly fancy, just some guys and girls socializing over burgers, dogs, sodas, and pistols in a fairly low-key sort of way. :)

I'd like to hear from anyone who's interested. If there's enough interest, I'll start moving forward with it. Please email me privately - [email protected]. (But also feel free to add comments here.)
    Good Move, More and More OC events need to happen in MA, Then OC Dinners at restaurants etc. People need to start being de-sensitized to people OC'ing. It's the fastest way to fix the gun issues. One thing though "Approval from the local police chief" Remember, It's NOT their call. You'll be paying for the detail, and whether they like it or not, it's legal and they can't stop you. If they won't do it than hire the Sheriff's Dept. I don't know about Worcester County but Middlesex has a lot of deputized officers that do that stuff.

Phil, i'm new here and so please forgive me for being a bit "flip" about my restriction. I DO understand what i've researched about the law. I was only being sort of tongue-in-cheek in my previous post bcuz it pisses me off. The best attitude for me to have right now is that I still have so much to learn anyway.

As a non-resident, you could not attend, unless you had the appropriate non-resident FID card. Mass requires the FID to purchase or possess.
    How would FID help with an OC event? He'd need a legit unrestricted Non-Res LTC-A. If there was a live shooting "contest" (which there obviously won't be). He'd be good to come with his out of state permit.

Quote Originally Posted by snatale42 View Post
    One thing though "Approval from the local police chief" Remember, It's NOT their call. You'll be paying for the detail, and whether they like it or not, it's legal and they can't stop you.
    That's a pretty naive and confrontational approach. First off, yes, it is true that there are no laws against open carry. But I guarantee you if the local police get 50 unexpected phone calls about a bunch of guys with guns on their belts out grilling in the local park...they are gonna be PISSED...and the next thing you know, there could be charges like "disturbing the peace" etc. And it's also possible that, since the laws are so subjective, people could lose their LTCs.

I won't pay for a police detail. But I at least want the local police chief to give his "blessing." That way, when the calls from the bedwetters start coming in, the dispatcher is expecting them. Also, the officers won't have to respond to a "multiple suspects with guns" call, and OC'ers are not harrassed.

Quote Originally Posted by snatale42 View Post
    How would FID help with an OC event? He'd need a legit unrestricted Non-Res LTC-A. If there was a live shooting "contest" (which there obviously won't be). He'd be good to come with his out of state permit.
    You're right - "LTC" would be the correct term. I misspoke.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast