Ltc
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Ltc

  1. Ltc

    How can I get a LTC in MA? It seems like if you're not buddy buddy with the chief of police its pretty much impossible...

  2.   
  3. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by jgt View Post
    How can I get a LTC in MA? It seems like if you're not buddy buddy with the chief of police its pretty much impossible...
    Unfortunately, it all depends on the town you live in and what kind of LTC/FID license you want. Some towns will never issue an unrestricted LTC; some towns will issue you an LTC with some kind of restriction. There are things you can do prior to your application which may increase your chances of getting the license you want.

    I Highly suggest you talk to a Firearms Instructor which is licensed by the Mass State Police (the only instructors allowed to operate in MA and allowed to issue educational certificates valid for the application of your licenses).

    Additionally, the Gun Owner's Action League (GOAL) website has a lot of good information. If you're interested in gun ownership in Massachusetts, it is essential to become a member of GOAL.org - GOAL is the largest organization that is actively lobbying for reform of Massachusetts' (insane) gun laws.

    As an NRA certified firearms instructor and a firearms instructor licensed to issue certificates in MA, I'd be happy to talk to you about your firearm licensing goals and how you may be able to achieve them.

  4. #3
    Check out the map on Northeastshooters, it will tell you whether your town will (or is known) to give out unrestricted LTC's. The green towns is where you want to be. If your not in a green town you'll most likely still get it, but with a target and hunting restriction.

  5. Thanks for the information!

  6. #5
    I know this is an older post, I'm just curious which town you were talking about and also if you ended up getting your LTC.

    -Capo
    "Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum"

  7. Methuen, MA which if I remember correctly is a "red" city/town meaning LTC's are severely restricted unless you need it for work or own a business...

    I have my FID, limited to target and hunting, but I haven't bothered going to the police station to try to convince the chief of police that I'm not a crazed lunatic or a criminal. I've had my FID for about 3 years now and I've never had any trouble with the law so maybe this is enough to show I'm a responsible gun owner and can have an LTC...

  8. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by jgt View Post
    Methuen, MA which if I remember correctly is a "red" city/town meaning LTC's are severely restricted unless you need it for work or own a business...

    I have my FID, limited to target and hunting, but I haven't bothered going to the police station to try to convince the chief of police that I'm not a crazed lunatic or a criminal. I've had my FID for about 3 years now and I've never had any trouble with the law so maybe this is enough to show I'm a responsible gun owner and can have an LTC...
    I was in a similar situation with my town (green town, but they felt I was too young being 22-23). They gave me a LTC-B after having my FID for about 5 years. We got a new detective in charge of firearms a year later and I re-applied. Ended up with my A. Best of luck man!

    -Capo
    "Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum"

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    94
    Quote Originally Posted by capo2186 View Post
    I know this is an older post, I'm just curious which town you were talking about and also if you ended up getting your LTC.-Capo
    Even though there is a specified amount of time they have to respond (cant rember the number off the top of my head) it can at times take forever. Saw a thing nt too long ago about someone going on 180 days with no response. The PD will blame the state, the state will blame the PD. Id check back in late Feb. and ask....no way he got it in a month. If he did Ill happily eat those words. (Except of course a refusal, those can come aweful quick) Im in as green a town as can be, and applied near the end of Jan on my 21st bday. The license was issued in June.

  10. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by ARV View Post
    Even though there is a specified amount of time they have to respond (cant rember the number off the top of my head) it can at times take forever.
    It's 40 days, but since they know they can get away with it they can conveniently "loose" the app from time to time. FRB/CHSB won't help you, the state sure as hell won't. Sad Situation. What they don't want you to know is that when they aprove you, the state issues it. The state doesn't go thru there own process, that's what the PD is for. Which is why the Green towns sometimes have permits issued in a few weeks after the interview while the red towns take 6 months to issue a permit with a T&H rest. on it!

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Southern New Hampshire
    Posts
    553
    Well, with not being a crazed lunatic, or a criminal, or having your FID for 3 years, or have never been in trouble with the law, under your belt, I do not think it is still enough to convince Solomon you're a "responsible gun owner". Then again, I'm not even sure what will. Good luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by jgt View Post
    Methuen, MA which if I remember correctly is a "red" city/town meaning LTC's are severely restricted unless you need it for work or own a business...

    I have my FID, limited to target and hunting, but I haven't bothered going to the police station to try to convince the chief of police that I'm not a crazed lunatic or a criminal. I've had my FID for about 3 years now and I've never had any trouble with the law so maybe this is enough to show I'm a responsible gun owner and can have an LTC...
    (All the above are MY opinions/suggestions ONLY....AND, I like to bust ball's, it's called having a sense of humor. In other words, no intent to offend anyone, so get over it)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast