Couple of Massachusetts LTC questions - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 45

Thread: Couple of Massachusetts LTC questions

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    597
    Quote Originally Posted by hogwylde View Post
    Correct and that is what I understood in the class. But I asked to Trooper a hypothetical question if I was carrying a pistol with a 20 round mag if I would be legal. And he said yes.
    If the mag was manufactured before 9-13-94 it's legal. Otherwise it's a felony.

    http://www.malegislature.gov/Laws/Ge...40/Section131M

    I'm not going to go on and on about this. I will say that you are going to get into allot of trouble listening to these people. Where did you take the class?

  2.   
  3. #22
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    94
    Quote Originally Posted by hogwylde View Post

    What happens when it's time to renew my permit and we have a DIFFERENT police chief who may have a different view from the previous chief? Can they deny my renewal? I have a spotless record with no felonies or misdemeanors so what reason could the chief have to deny me my permit? Do I need to have a "valid reason" to be wanting a CCW? Do they ask "WHY do you want a CCW?"
    The different Chief could deny you, or restrict you. Its 100% discretion (read: Whim) on his part. The Chief could deny you for any reason. He doesn't like your shirt. Your car is nicer than his. His wife burnt his toast this morning and hes in a bad mood. You will likely never know, and its totally legal. I always used "all lawful purposes" What town if you don't mind my asking?

  4. #23
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    597
    Quote Originally Posted by ARV View Post
    The different Chief could deny you, or restrict you. Its 100% discretion (read: Whim) on his part. The Chief could deny you for any reason. He doesn't like your shirt. Your car is nicer than his. His wife burnt his toast this morning and hes in a bad mood. You will likely never know, and its totally legal. I always used "all lawful purposes" What town if you don't mind my asking?
    What's your take on the gun law info that he has received?

  5. #24
    Hog, I would listen to Rich on this stuff. What he is saying is pretty much what I have found out by researching the same stuff. I have been on this site for about a year and it has been very helpful. One of the many lessons I have learned is never, ever, ever take gun law advice from an LEO.

    I have also read from other places that just because your hi cap mag was manufactured before the 9-13-94 date, it must be used in a gun that was also manufactured before the 9-13-94 date. Whether or not this is true, I don't want to be the test dummy in court spending 20K in lawyer fees to figure it out. I own a MA compliant Sig p229. It will accept mags from older p228s, which I have found online. Supposedly built before 9-13-94. Since I can't 100% prove they were built before that date and since I can't find info on using them, I felt it was better to just let it go. It sucks, but thats the price we pay for living in MA.

  6. #25
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    94
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich_S View Post
    What's your take on the gun law info that he has received?
    The info he received from the instructor was bad, and could not only land him in legal trouble in mass, but could cause him to become federally disqualified from ever owning a firearm again. Though WRT the LEO telling him he can go to CT and buy post bans, yes he can. BUT they MUST be kept out of state. I could buy as many as I wanted so long as they didn't cross the border.

    Quote Originally Posted by Turkules77 View Post

    I have also read from other places that just because your hi cap mag was manufactured before the 9-13-94 date, it must be used in a gun that was also manufactured before the 9-13-94 date. Whether or not this is true, I don't want to be the test dummy in court spending 20K in lawyer fees to figure it out. I own a MA compliant Sig p229. It will accept mags from older p228s, which I have found online. Supposedly built before 9-13-94. Since I can't 100% prove they were built before that date and since I can't find info on using them, I felt it was better to just let it go. It sucks, but thats the price we pay for living in MA.
    This is 110% untrue. No where in mass MGL does it say that pre ban mags can only be used in pre ban guns. That sounds like some gun shop lawyering being passed onto the internet. If I go and get my hands on a brand new AR-15 that is AWB compliant, and buy a mag made in 1991 I am legal to put it into what ever gun I wish.

    Mass gun laws are backwards, vague, arbitrary, confusing, contradicting and (I believe) intentionally so. I use a diffrent forum most of the time because this one is blocked at work. Its a regional site, and the majority of the members are from MA. Even there we get confused. It is extremely common to ask someone to site the law they are referring to from the Ma website. Don't ever believe what you hear from a LEO, gunshop, or website WRT mass laws without verifying yourself first. I posted this link on another thread here. check it out. Most of the nuances of Mass laws are talked about somewhere in here. Massachusetts Laws

  7. #26
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    597
    Quote Originally Posted by ARV View Post
    The info he received from the instructor was bad, and could not only land him in legal trouble in mass, but could cause him to become federally disqualified from ever owning a firearm again. Though WRT the LEO telling him he can go to CT and buy post bans, yes he can. BUT they MUST be kept out of state. I could buy as many as I wanted so long as they didn't cross the border.



    This is 110% untrue. No where in mass MGL does it say that pre ban mags can only be used in pre ban guns. That sounds like some gun shop lawyering being passed onto the internet. If I go and get my hands on a brand new AR-15 that is AWB compliant, and buy a mag made in 1991 I am legal to put it into what ever gun I wish.

    Mass gun laws are backwards, vague, arbitrary, confusing, contradicting and (I believe) intentionally so. I use a diffrent forum most of the time because this one is blocked at work. Its a regional site, and the majority of the members are from MA. Even there we get confused. It is extremely common to ask someone to site the law they are referring to from the Ma website. Don't ever believe what you hear from a LEO, gunshop, or website WRT mass laws without verifying yourself first. I posted this link on another thread here. check it out. Most of the nuances of Mass laws are talked about somewhere in here. Massachusetts Laws

    It really frustrates the s*it out of me when you give people the correct answers and they don't believe you because some uninformed LEO says different. I also had an argument with a gun shop owner a while back who was sending his customer out the door with a new AR with a trigger lock on it for transport in his pickup.

  8. #27
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    94
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich_S View Post
    It really frustrates the s*it out of me when you give people the correct answers and they don't believe you because some uninformed LEO says different. I also had an argument with a gun shop owner a while back who was sending his customer out the door with a new AR with a trigger lock on it for transport in his pickup.
    The solution to the LEO issue is to have them ask several different LEO's. When they get several different answers. There may (or may not) be an AHH-HA! moment. The transport issue makes my head hurt.

  9. #28
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    597
    Quote Originally Posted by ARV View Post
    The solution to the LEO issue is to have them ask several different LEO's. When they get several different answers. There may (or may not) be an AHH-HA! moment. The transport issue makes my head hurt.
    Meh- just keep everythitng either on your person or locked up and unloaded out of sight and you're good to go. I don't rely on an LEO knowing that my 10/22 is A. non high cap and B. non high cap doesn't need to be locked up....

  10. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by ARV View Post
    The info he received from the instructor was bad, and could not only land him in legal trouble in mass, but could cause him to become federally disqualified from ever owning a firearm again. Though WRT the LEO telling him he can go to CT and buy post bans, yes he can. BUT they MUST be kept out of state. I could buy as many as I wanted so long as they didn't cross the border.



    This is 110% untrue. No where in mass MGL does it say that pre ban mags can only be used in pre ban guns. That sounds like some gun shop lawyering being passed onto the internet. If I go and get my hands on a brand new AR-15 that is AWB compliant, and buy a mag made in 1991 I am legal to put it into what ever gun I wish.

    Mass gun laws are backwards, vague, arbitrary, confusing, contradicting and (I believe) intentionally so. I use a diffrent forum most of the time because this one is blocked at work. Its a regional site, and the majority of the members are from MA. Even there we get confused. It is extremely common to ask someone to site the law they are referring to from the Ma website. Don't ever believe what you hear from a LEO, gunshop, or website WRT mass laws without verifying yourself first. I posted this link on another thread here. check it out. Most of the nuances of Mass laws are talked about somewhere in here. Massachusetts Laws
    It was on a Sig forum, but I had a funny feeling it wasn't correct. Since I can't prove when the mags were manufactured I wasn't going to get them anyways.

  11. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich_S View Post
    It really frustrates the s*it out of me when you give people the correct answers and they don't believe you because some uninformed LEO says different.
    Woah! Lets sit back and think for a second. I am new to this and question everything in life and like to do my own research on things and that includes talking to people. Just because "someone" tells me something doesn't make it the Gospel truth and the relationship you and I have is nothing more than "a guy on the internet that I spoke to". I am NOT saying you are wrong because I know ****!! I am debating and discussing which should be healthy enough amongst adults without be "frustrating".

    With that being said, could you please decipher or translate what I found regarding MA law? I can only ASSUME you are talking Class B and I am referring to Class A. Not saying anybody is right. I want to know what YOU think it means.

    -----

    (a) A Class A license shall entitle a holder thereof to purchase, rent, lease, borrow, possess and carry: (i) firearms, including large capacity firearms, and feeding devices and ammunition therefor, for all lawful purposes, subject to such restrictions relative to the possession, use or carrying of firearms as the licensing authority deems proper

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast