Couple of Massachusetts LTC questions - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Couple of Massachusetts LTC questions

Quote Originally Posted by hogwylde View Post
    Woah! Lets sit back and think for a second. I am new to this and question everything in life and like to do my own research on things and that includes talking to people. Just because "someone" tells me something doesn't make it the Gospel truth and the relationship you and I have is nothing more than "a guy on the internet that I spoke to". I am NOT saying you are wrong because I know ****!! I am debating and discussing which should be healthy enough amongst adults without be "frustrating".

With that being said, could you please decipher or translate what I found regarding MA law? I can only ASSUME you are talking Class B and I am referring to Class A. Not saying anybody is right. I want to know what YOU think it means.

-----

(a) A Class A license shall entitle a holder thereof to purchase, rent, lease, borrow, possess and carry: (i) firearms, including large capacity firearms, and feeding devices and ammunition therefor, for all lawful purposes, subject to such restrictions relative to the possession, use or carrying of firearms as the licensing authority deems proper

It seems to me like you tend to believe the LEO because he's an LEO. Anyway....even with an LTC-A you can't have post 9-13-94 mags greater than 10 rounds. You have to understand the legal definition of high capacity.

Also- subject to such restrictions relative to the possession

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_S View Post
    You have to understand the legal definition of high capacity.
    Fair enough, which is what I am trying to do.

I guess the part that gets me is, when one is preparing for your driver's license, you are given a book to study that contains the rules of the road and some of the laws but yet there is nothing in "black and white" regarding carrying and are on your own to figure out the laws. Makes no sense.

Fair enough, which is what I am trying to do.

I guess the part that gets me is, when one is preparing for your driver's license, you are given a book to study that contains the rules of the road and some of the laws but yet there is nothing in "black and white" regarding carrying and are on your own to figure out the laws. Makes no sense.
    Your instructor is required by law to review Mass law or give you written info with detailed explanations. It sounds like he did poor job. High capacity firearm = semi auto, capeable off accepting a mag that holds 10or more, mags post 9-13-94 holding more than 10 are illegal. For example, a brand new Beretta 92fs that accepts a 15 round mag is perfectly legal with a LTC A. You can use a pre ban 15 round mag in that gun and that's fine. That's all you need to know in that regard.

31 days to get my LTC and bought this yesterday. Can't wait to get out to the range and try her out.

31 days to get my LTC and bought this yesterday. Can't wait to get out to the range and try her out.

Nice choice Ive been thinking of picking up one myself.

hogwylde- You should think about taking More classes......."In Home Defense", "Out of the Home"..etc. I'm sure you will, but for now take things one at a time.
    This is a GREAT forum....there are alot of smart folks out here. Take the time to read, search and ask.
    "A Smart person talks......a Wise person listens".
    Good luck!
    (All the above are MY opinions/suggestions ONLY....AND, I like to bust ball's, it's called having a sense of humor. In other words, no intent to offend anyone, so get over it)

Im actually going to be applying for a Class A LTC as well in Westfield MA. One thing i am now confused of. I keep reading all these posts stating that its illegal to carry a pistol with a high-capacity magazine... Yet the Mass. Government website states that as of June 1st 1998, anyone with a Class A permit can carry any rifle, shotgun, or handgun with a high-capacity magazine. Please explain this to me.
    Massachusetts Gun Licensing Requirements

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Larsen View Post
    Im actually going to be applying for a Class A LTC as well in Westfield MA. One thing i am now confused of. I keep reading all these posts stating that its illegal to carry a pistol with a high-capacity magazine... Yet the Mass. Government website states that as of June 1st 1998, anyone with a Class A permit can carry any rifle, shotgun, or handgun with a high-capacity magazine. Please explain this to me.
    I'm in Westfield too! Greetings!

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Larsen View Post
    LTC-A will allow somebody to posses a PRE-BAN high cap mag, which was made prior to Sept 13, 1994. You may not have any high cap (over 10) round mag manufactured after 09/13/94. Somebody with an LTC-B can not have a high cap mag, even if it's preban.

Snatale42 is correct in stating that. You also are not allowed to carry at all with a LTC-B, which to me, makes the LTC-B useless.
    "Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum"

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast