Couple of Massachusetts LTC questions
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Couple of Massachusetts LTC questions

Couple of Massachusetts LTC questions

I am in the beginning processes of getting my CCW permit and am taking the safety course this Sunday. Upon completion of the course, I know that I have to present my certificate and $100 to process my application with the Chief of Police (which I think is bogus).

About 10-15 years ago, I was given a .357 as a gift from my father and the "best" I could get was an FID card. But we now have a different police chief and I am told that my town is now one of the easiest to get a CCW permit (my FID expired). I know a lot of my questions will be answered at the safety course but I am excited about this....

What happens when it's time to renew my permit and we have a DIFFERENT police chief who may have a different view from the previous chief? Can they deny my renewal? I have a spotless record with no felonies or misdemeanors so what reason could the chief have to deny me my permit? Do I need to have a "valid reason" to be wanting a CCW? Do they ask "WHY do you want a CCW?"

They do ask on the application, your reasons for seeking a permit. I just wrote all lawful purposes and waited to elaborate if they asked for more info. If theyask for more in the interview, "to become a good shooter so that I can protect my life." Don't know how renewals go, as I haven't done that yet. Good luck. :)

They absolutely ask why you want an LTC. The chief can deny an LTC application based on suitability. Suitability is not defined by law so that means the chief can deny you for any reason they want if they feel that you're not suitable. The answer you give can greatly affect your application. If you say you want a license for hunting your LTC can be restricted to hunting thereby eliminating concealed carry. If you are in a green town (easy town) an answer of all lawful purposes may cut it but it's not a bad idea to elaborate. Think of things that are applicable in your life such as a business owner handling large amounts of cash or etc. I'm sure you also know that you are committing a felony if you're still in possession of that .357 without an LTC so keep that quiet. If you want to PM me with your exact town I may be able to give you more info.....

Jbrl and Rich:

Hopefully I won't bore you with a long drawn out story but this is how I feel and have nothing to hide. So this is my story:

About 15 years ago, I got caught up in a sting operation (to be explained later) where I was robbed. I work for the public (in their homes)and accidentally left my truck unlocked and was cleaned out. I had nothing left. But I am of the mindset that just because you leave yourself vulnerable, that is no reason for someone to take advantage of you and I was pissed. I consider myself to be a bright person and went out to catch the perp with the only weapon being my HEAD.....and I didn't even know who did it. I didn't know if the perp was male, female, black, white, hispanic or other. But I caught him. I did the leg work and the Holyoke police arrested him. I had a plan that the PD agreed to go along with it and supplied 7 un-marked cars to back me up. I have to say, I was on an absolute HIGH knowing I got my things back by simply out-smarting this dumbass and getting my things back within 10 hours of the robbery.

Now is when my father steps in. My father does not mess around especially when it comes to family and he told me that since I drive around in a van with a company name on it and my name embroidered on my shirt, he deemed me a marked man and told me to do whatever was necessary to own a gun. So I did. I got my FID and he sent me a blue S&W .357 with a 6" barrel. A beautiful piece! Time went on and I had a son and although I know there's safety features I could implement, I just didn't feel comfortable having a gun in the house so I sold it to a dealer and let my FID expire. Much to my regret.

Having a gun and being told what I can do with it is like owning a car and being told when, where and how you can go. I hated only being allowed to take it to a range or whatever. I am a law abiding, tax paying citizen who doesn't even have so much as a misdemeanor and to be treated like a 2nd class citizen pissed me off. Oops! I am wrong. I did get a parking ticket 15 years ago.

So after all this babbling, this is where I am at. I want to own a gun. I want to be able to protect myself and my family and I want to carry legally and don't think I should need special (personal) permission from the police chief to do so.

And the crazy part is this. I am such a law abiding citizen with a level head, that I start to think about the possible repercussions and the RESPONSIBILITIES and LIABILITIES of carrying that I've talked myself out of it many times. But I refuse to give up because I know I will be responsible carrying.

Thanks for listening to my story. BTW: I live in Westfield, MA

If you possessed the .357 with an FID card you were in violation of the law. If your father shipped that gun to you he violated the law. If he shipped it from out of state and you used it for anything other than a recreational shooting gun you violated the law. I understand how you feel about your rights but what you feel and what the law says are two different things. Your choices are to follow the law or lobby to change it. Good luck with the latter in Massachusetts. You have to be really careful in Mass. Westfield is a green town so if you have no criminal record you should be good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_S View Post
    If you possessed the .357 with an FID card you were in violation of the law. If your father shipped that gun to you he violated the law. If he shipped it from out of state and you used it for anything other than a recreational shooting gun you violated the law. I understand how you feel about your rights but what you feel and what the law says are two different things. Your choices are to follow the law or lobby to change it. Good luck with the latter in Massachusetts. You have to be really careful in Mass. Westfield is a green town so if you have no criminal record you should be good to go.
    My father bought the .357 at a gun shop out of state and had it shipped to a gun shop in West Springfield and I picked it up after getting my FID.

I routinely shot the is gun with no permit so I am assuming I'll be fine in getting my LTC. ;o)

Center gun of turret 3 (aft turret) was mine.

Quote Originally Posted by hogwylde View Post
    I routinely shot the is gun with no permit so I am assuming I'll be fine in getting my LTC. ;o)

Center gun of turret 3 (aft turret) was mine.

LMAO- I onestly don't think the chief will really care too much about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_S View Post
    LMAO- I onestly don't think the chief will really care too much about that.
    Damn it! I guess I'll have to come up with a plan B then!

Quote Originally Posted by hogwylde View Post
    Damn it! I guess I'll have to come up with a plan B then!
    Seriously- should the chief be impressed with that? If so why? Does that mean you can safely handle a handgun?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast