weapon in a locked vehicle - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: weapon in a locked vehicle

Cool

The way it is in MASS depends on your LTC.

A LTC A allows carrying while under your direct control (on you).
    A LTC B does not allow carrying a loaded gun. The gun has to be in a lock box, trunk or other secure container.

If you have a loaded gun in say a seat holster / dash holster / or in the cup holder, if you get out of the vehicle you are no longer "In Direct Control" of the gun and must store it in a container.

Here's the Chapter/Section..... Chapter 140 Section 131C

General Laws: CHAPTER 140, Section 131C

Section 131C. (a) No person carrying a loaded firearm under a Class A license issued under section 131 or 131F shall carry the same in a vehicle unless such firearm while carried therein is under the direct control of such person. Whoever violates the provisions of this subsection shall be punished by a fine of $500.

(b) No person carrying a firearm under a Class B license issued under section 131 or 131F shall possess the same in a vehicle unless such weapon is unloaded and contained within the locked trunk of such vehicle or in a locked case or other secure container. Whoever violates the provisions of this subsection shall be punished by a fine of $500.

The way the law reads the gun has to be unloaded and stored, it doesn't say anything as to having the ammo in the same container or not.

The way I do it, to be safe, incase a LEO wants to look in my vehicle or if someone breaks into my vehicle, I store my gun in one lock box and ammo in another lock box.

I carry every day, the only times I have to leave my gun in my vehicle is if I go into a Post office, Police Station or somewere else that doesn't allow carrying. In all my days of carrying I can count on my hands how many times I have had to leave the gun in my vehicle.

Folks that have to go to court everyday or somewere that doesn't allow carrying of course are different, if the place you are going dosn't have storage area's you have to lock it in your vehicle.

I worked at a College, so of course I couldn't even bring a gun with me to work unless I parked on the street (which was not something I could do). Those days sucked as I had to go about my daily travel before and after work without protection.

The LTC laws are Chapter 140 Section 131

General Laws: CHAPTER 140, Section 131

I hope this helps you out some, I am in no way a lawyer, so I am not saying this is the law, but it is how I look at the law to protect myself. Each LEO looks at the laws differently and each Cheif has his/her own thoughts of the laws and each DA has his/her thoughts about the laws.

Welcome to the Messed Up CommYwelth of MASS Gun Ownership Laws......................

If you start to carry daily it might be a good idea to contact a firearms lawyer and go over a few things with him/her, and put him/her on retainer.

David
    "Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway" John Wayne

Blog Entries
    Ma. Law does not give any description/definition under the statute for 'locked container'. The weapon is to be unloaded, secured in a 'locked' container, OR have a trigger lock or like device rendering the firearm useless if left unattended temporarily in the vehicle.
    Last edited by mshean1955; 04-06-2012 at 09:56 AM. Reason: revision

Quote Originally Posted by mshean1955 View Post
    Ma. Law does not give any description under the statute for 'locked container'. The weapon is to be unloaded, secured in a 'locked' container, OR have a trigger lock or like device rendering the firearm useless if left unattended temporarily in the vehicle.
    Ya, with the strange way MASS is they say a soft case that the zipper can be locked is a "secured container ", I never said MASS made since..........

Blog Entries
    I think they are very vauge so that they can interpret the law to suit them any way they please DavidC77.

Off of I-80 between Des Moines and Cheyenne
    Blog Entries
    As for me, that is IMHO, I do not ever leave my gun in my car. There are too many reasons as to why and I don't have more than just a moment here. Being unarmed is silly and cars get broken into/stolen. Ok, there's two good reasons...
    1)"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty." -Thomas Jefferson.
    2)"Imagine how gun control might be stomped if GOA or SAF had the (compromising) NRA's 4 million members!" -Me. http://jpfo.org/filegen-n-z/nraletter.htm

Quote Originally Posted by mshean1955 View Post
    Ma. Law does not give any description/definition under the statute for 'locked container'. The weapon is to be unloaded, secured in a 'locked' container, OR have a trigger lock or like device rendering the firearm useless if left unattended temporarily in the vehicle.

Your quoting transportation laws and trigger locks are not allowed for transport. The law says "in a locked container" period.

Read the storage laws again, you'll see it doesn't say anything about the firearm needs to be unloaded.

Just because the firearm is in the vehicle, it doesn't mean its being transported. How can an officer say you are transporting a firearm if the vehicle is parked, off, keys out of ignition and your not in it?

What it is, is they are trying to cover 3 laws with only 2. There is transporting a firearm and storing a firearm. What they need to do is have 3, Transporting a firearm, Storing a firearm in a dwelling and storage of a firearm in a vehicle.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12