High Cap magazines
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High Cap magazines

Question High Cap magazines

Am I correct in understanding anything I come into the state with is fine as far as magazines are concerned?
    It's better to die upon your feet than to live upon your knees!-Emiliano Zapata

Exclamation Hi-Capacity Mag Bans States.

Thank the Brady Bunch,
    The states I could find that still ban civilian use or ownership of any magazine over 10 rounds are per:
    BlackWarrior firearm and gun parts, firearm and gun accessories, high capacity magazines, military and law enforcement training (nice site)
    "States which do not allow high capacity are restricted to the 10 RND only rule are CA, MD, MA, NJ or HI." Throw in DC as a no nothing given!
    One thing I have noticed is most larger (good) capacity mags are way more expensive than the normal capacity ones ($30 for 5 more rounds?), if U try to buy hi-capacity cheapos, then count on a spring that has a life-time proportional to how long U keep it fully loaded/unused. D wire 'music string' springs tend to do better but I would not trust my life on say my Beretta with a 15-round clip (the above site sells 15-rd mags for the Beretta 92 at $16 a pop, cheaper than most Beretta 10-rd normal/manufacturer made ones) hanging off the butt if I had not just loaded it. Proper seating is also a prob, I have noticed with 'lock & load one 30-round clip' (no click!) kinda makes U wonder what will happen when U try 2 chamber a round, blow your hand off maybe?
    Mags that tend to stay good full or empty are those normally designed for military style semi's like a 30-rd clip for an AR-15 or bull-pup, other examples exist but rule of thumb in 30 years of firing plenty of weapons, the cheaper the clip purporting to hold more than the manufacturer of the pistol/rifle produces is a F2F (failure to feed) or a misfire waiting to happen. 'Cheaper than Dirt' © pre-ban 50-rd mags for your Glock will probably fail when the BG gets a bead on U. 'Murphy's law of pre-ban hi-capacity cheap mags.' :-)
    Welcome home from the 'Rak!

Canis-Lupus
    Last edited by Canis-Lupus; 07-21-2008 at 03:26 PM.

You can't bring high cap mags into Massachusetts, unless it was manufactured before September 13, 1994

A high-cap magazine in Mass. is any magazine that can hold more than 10 rounds

I was told it's illegal to purchase them in MA , but not to have them. That's what the dealer told me when I purchased my first hand gun (S&W Sigma) . I actually ended up purchasing 2 17rds mags from a site . They were from used Law Enforcement training guns l. They wouldn't ship to MA , so I had to have them ship to a relative in another state. Then she shipped them to me.
    ‘‘The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.’’

Quote Originally Posted by lsbbigdog View Post
    I was told it's illegal to purchase them in MA , but not to have them. That's what the dealer told me when I purchased my first hand gun (S&W Sigma) . I actually ended up purchasing 2 17rds mags from a site . They were from used Law Enforcement training guns l. They wouldn't ship to MA , so I had to have them ship to a relative in another state. Then she shipped them to me.
    That's what impression I was under.

If what Lupus said is true though I have to now find either pre-ban mags or order some 10 rd's for my Glock since the ones that came with it hold over the 10 limit...
    Last edited by Teufel; 07-22-2008 at 12:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lsbbigdog View Post
    you may be breaking the law ( in possession of post-ban high cap )

Quote Originally Posted by LeavingMass View Post
    you may be breaking the law ( in possession of post-ban high cap )
    I no longer have the mags or firearm. I might have at the time. I only own 1911's now and i don't have any mags over 10. I just went with what was told to me by some one who i thought new the laws and they make it so hard to translate them when you read the.There seem like there is no black and white with the gun laws in MA.To many gray areas and opening to too many different interpretations.
    ‘‘The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose.’’

Canis-Lupus, add to the 10 rd only rule the fine state of NY (unless manufactured before Sept 13, 1994)
    I can still find some pre-ban 12 rounders for my HK USPc in .40 but they arn't cheap and CDNN sells the 10 rd mags for $10.00

Cheers
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Teufel View Post
    Am I correct in understanding anything I come into the state with is fine as far as magazines are concerned?
    What in the world makes you want to go there? Why can't you just stay where you are with your hi-cap mags? At least you'll be free!

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by tattedupboy View Post
    What in the world makes you want to go there? Why can't you just stay where you are with your hi-cap mags? At least you'll be free!
    lol

It's still home in some ways.

I'll keep the others for when I'm not in MA.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast