Mass law for storing firearm in car?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mass law for storing firearm in car?

1. Mass law for storing firearm in car?

Hello, is it legal for me to store my firearm (Walther ppk/s) unloaded in the locked glove box of my car with the full clip in the same glovebox? From how I interpret the law it has to be locked/unloaded or rendered useless. Any thoughts on this? I work at the airport so carrying a full clip in with me is probably not the wisest choice. Thanks.

shove a gun lock through it...
    I think you are probably fine as is, because the ammo is _not_ in the gun.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by upslims View Post
    Hello, is it legal for me to store my firearm (Walther ppk/s) unloaded in the locked glove box of my car with the full clip in the same glovebox? From how I interpret the law it has to be locked/unloaded or rendered useless. Any thoughts on this? I work at the airport so carrying a full clip in with me is probably not the wisest choice. Thanks.
    You need to have it a locked container in your trunk, ammo separated, get yourself a gun storage box, can be as cheap as $50 . Don't become a test case for your LTC.
    remember, you are dealing with mASSachusetts.

Speed loader or mag in consol and gun in glove will work

That only applies as long as YOU are in the vehicle. I'm quite certain, as we have gone over this several times at our club meetings. If you leave your vehicle, it is against the law to leave a firearm in it unattended. Quite a catch 22 if you're going some place where you can't bring it inside, a "gun free zone." Now what do you do? Even at a gun show recently they weren't allowing CC's inside, and people were walking back to their cars and locking them in the trunk. A big no no.

7. Man...seems to change no matter who you talk to. I spoke with a Sgt. at the State Police Barracks and it was ok with him as long as it was locked up in the car. So I've just being going with it, I'm only working there for 3 more days so it shouldn't be an issue after that.

Man...seems to change no matter who you talk to. I spoke with a Sgt. at the State Police Barracks and it was ok with him as long as it was locked up in the car. So I've just being going with it, I'm only working there for 3 more days so it shouldn't be an issue after that.
    Exactly, in Mass because the laws are NOT clear at all, even the people who are supposed to UPHOLD the law don't even know the law. Half of the police don't know what is MA compliant firearms are nor do they know what a LTC CLass- B can own/can't own. It is very scary if you ask me. The fact that I can challenge a cop and prove him WRONG on the very same laws he is supposed to know seems sad to me.
    "Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum"

Man...seems to change no matter who you talk to. I spoke with a Sgt. at the State Police Barracks and it was ok with him as long as it was locked up in the car. So I've just being going with it, I'm only working there for 3 more days so it shouldn't be an issue after that.
    Welcome to assachusetts. If a cop is on a detail at an intersection and directs you through a red light and you get into an accident, you're at fault. Just because a cop tells you it's okay with HIM, doesn't mean it's okay with the law.

The reason I'm quite sure of the locked in the car scenario is because a guy I know went to Wallmart to buy something, and locked his gun in the trunk before going in the store. When he came out there were SEVERAL cops waiting at his car. Some do gooder saw him put it in there and called the cops. It's a big no no.
    That's not to say people don't do it all the time.

(Non-Res) All this time I've locked my gun with it loaded in My car safe when I get to work. So, I'm really supposed to unload it and store both the gun and ammo separate each time?
    (All the above are MY opinions/suggestions ONLY....AND, I like to bust ball's, it's called having a sense of humor. In other words, no intent to offend anyone, so get over it)

Here is what I was told from a MASS Deputy (here we go again ).......
    "There is nothing in the MGL specifically for vehicles, other than that glove box "storage" is a no-no as it is NOT an acceptable container". "Lock box or trunk......preferably both". "IF it is being transported (NOT on your person), it needs to be unloaded (not just the chamber) and in a locked container".

So, for me when I go to work from NH to MA, my firearm is on Me which is ok. When I get to work I put it loaded in my lockbox in my locked car. The vehicle is parked not moving/transporting. Like we all been saying, there is very little discription on the law when it pertains to a vehicle for MA. You get all different answers. I could not get an answer as to when the firearm is locked in a locked vehicle if it has to be unloaded not.
    Hey guys, what about the motorcycle? Is the bag on your bike with a strap to close bag an acceptable container?? Probably not because there is no locking device on it. My Touring bike has the locks on it, so "I'm guessing" it should be fine when I park the bike.
    My next question will be finding out about a parked vehicle, if the firearm is locked up in said box/container, does it need to be unloaded or not.
    (All the above are MY opinions/suggestions ONLY....AND, I like to bust ball's, it's called having a sense of humor. In other words, no intent to offend anyone, so get over it)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast