Current non-res turnaround time - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Current non-res turnaround time

Once again, screwed by the state of Maryland. I spoke to a very friendly person at the Firearms Bureau who told me that the statute is written so that they can only give carry permits to those who have them from their home state. He did not have any issue with giving me one but that is the way the law is written.

Amazing, my 21 year old brother who spent ten dollars for a laser printer printed permit from New Hampshire can get a MA LTC while my sorry Maryland self cannot. And I have 6 out of state permits to boot.

I HATE MARYLAND.

I have a question about the Non resident permit. I currently have permits from NY and PA, the problem that NY is my home state and the county that I live in places a restriction on the permit by default. Even though the permit is technically a CCP and the words Carry is written right on the permit there is a bigger stamp on it that says target use only. Is it even worth it to apply for MA because of the restriction on my home permit, I don't want any restrictions up here. I go to school up here so I may or may not stay in this state, and getting a class A will have a lot to do with that decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevins9145 View Post
    I have a question about the Non resident permit. I currently have permits from NY and PA, the problem that NY is my home state and the county that I live in places a restriction on the permit by default. Even though the permit is technically a CCP and the words Carry is written right on the permit there is a bigger stamp on it that says target use only. Is it even worth it to apply for MA because of the restriction on my home permit, I don't want any restrictions up here. I go to school up here so I may or may not stay in this state, and getting a class A will have a lot to do with that decision.
    From what I can tell, MA will give you exactly what your home state has given you. Permit for target only. If you live in the most liberal (carry permit wise) state, MA will give you a permit equivalent to that. Go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by Abacab View Post
    From what I can tell, MA will give you exactly what your home state has given you. Permit for target only. If you live in the most liberal (carry permit wise) state, MA will give you a permit equivalent to that. Go figure.
    All MA Non-Res permits to my knowledge are Concealed Carry Permits. The non-res ons are not restricted at all. It is either denied or granted.
    "Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum"

6. Non residents needed to attend a state approved firearms class, submit fingerprints, photo (passport size), fill out questionere and a check for $100. This for the privilege of carying for 12 months....

Now for the changes:

All of the above except a photo and fingerprints, they do this in Chelsea MA.

So one needs to send the application and $100. I did this in early September for renewal and did not get an appointment for photo and fingerprints until mid October. Once they take your fingerprints and photo you must wait 3-4 weeks for the fingerprints to be run, and permit card to be mailed to you.

So a two month renewal process for a license that is only good for 12 months. Also, the new requirement making all out of state applicants show up for photo and fingerprints in Chelsea has most likely purged at least 50% of applicants due to the inconvenience.

Renewals will also require full fingerprints each year, I was told that "fingerprints change" so you must show up each year.....

Massachusetts residents - Wake up! These changes are occurring behind closed doors and become law without notice or imput.

Quote Originally Posted by osmosis View Post
    Non residents needed to attend a state approved firearms class, submit fingerprints, photo (passport size), fill out questionere and a check for $100. This for the privilege of carying for 12 months....

Now for the changes:

So one needs to send the application and $100. I did this in early September for renewal and did not get an appointment for photo and fingerprints until mid October. Once they take your fingerprints and photo you must wait 3-4 weeks for the fingerprints to be run, and permit card to be mailed to you.

So a two month renewal process for a license that is only good for 12 months. Also, the new requirement making all out of state applicants show up for photo and fingerprints in Chelsea has most likely purged at least 50% of applicants due to the inconvenience.

Renewals will also require full fingerprints each year, I was told that "fingerprints change" so you must show up each year.....

Massachusetts residents - Wake up! These changes are occurring behind closed doors and become law without notice or imput.
    Where can one take the approved class? A standard NRA Basic Pistol Course no longer works?

Quote Originally Posted by Abacab View Post
    Where can one take the approved class? A standard NRA Basic Pistol Course no longer works?

According to Mass Public Safety...NRA Basic is acceptable...

Quote Originally Posted by osmosis View Post
    Non residents needed to attend a state approved firearms class, submit fingerprints, photo (passport size), fill out questionere and a check for $100. This for the privilege of carying for 12 months....

Now for the changes:

They do this so it will deter you from getting a license especially from MA. Instead of going after criminals, they go after law abiding citizens. I don't go for my non-res until next June. So, I guess I'll be taking a half day out of work (paid) sometime when my appnt comes up for photo/prints.
    (All the above are MY opinions/suggestions ONLY....AND, I like to bust ball's, it's called having a sense of humor. In other words, no intent to offend anyone, so get over it)

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    According to Mass Public Safety...NRA Basic is acceptable...
    Although there are 18 courses that are acceptable, they must be given by a MA certified instructor who also issues a MA State Police training certificate. In addition to the normal course curriculum (i.e. NRA Basic Pistol), the instructor must provide information on MA licensing, storage and transportation requirements.
    "We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions." ~ Ronald Reagan

So you are saying I need MA approval on my course? I planned on moving to VA or MI so I could get a resident permit using my NRA basic course...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast