LTC in MA Questions
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: LTC in MA Questions

1. LTC in MA Questions

I grew up in MA and got my first LTC once I turned of age. When I did I remember putting "All lawful purposes" on the application because of the restrictions that some police chiefs put on the permit. Since then about 6 years ago I moved to GA and haven't had to deal with any of the politics involved in MA to get a permit so I have become unfamiliar with how it works now.

About a month ago my father passed away, once the dust settled from the funeral and everything my mother called me and asked me what she needed to do to get a pistol and a permit because she felt she needed to protect herself at home and when she goes to work. I gave her a bunch of advice and I sent her to Smith and Wesson shooting sports center to take the safety class, which she completed last Saturday. During the class she was told to "not even waste her time" thinking that she is going to get a permit for "all lawful purposes" and that the chief in her town (Chicopee, MA) only hands out "target and hunting". She likes to go for walks with the dogs, and she works in Holyoke which is a really bad area and she would really like to put her pistol in her purse when she does these things. It drives me crazy that my 66 year old mother will be forced to be a victim or carry illegally just to be able to defend herself.

Long story short how should we approach this? Do you have any advice on how to handle the interview? At what point can we appeal and engage legal council if we need to? Does the recent Heller outcome help us at all with this?

I got my class a using "all lawfull purpose", but I live in the sticks (Topsfield). I, like most, go into the police station thinking its going to be an interogation. It was far from that. He asked me a few basic questions like "what do you do for work" "how long have you worked there", "why do you want a gun licence". We basicly "shot the ****" for a half hour while he entered my information into the computer. I dont know about chicopee, but topsfield does this. you make an appointment, and bring your application with you to the interview. If chicopee does it that way, tell her to leave the "reason for licence" blank, and talk to the officer about her situation, and ask what she should write down. Now I know the town next door's interview prossess is like this. you bring the completed form to the police station and they call you when they want you to come in. If Chicopee does it this way, I would write "all lawfull purpose because ________" and explaine why

hope this helps
    good luck

remember, its our right to keep and bear arms. If they limit a licence to target or hunting, its a rights violation. contacting the NRA or GOAL will help.

Quote Originally Posted by thedub88 View Post
    I got my class a using "all lawfull purpose", but I live in the sticks (Topsfield). I, like most, go into the police station thinking its going to be an interogation. It was far from that. He asked me a few basic questions like "what do you do for work" "how long have you worked there", "why do you want a gun licence". We basicly "shot the ****" for a half hour while he entered my information into the computer. I dont know about chicopee, but topsfield does this. you make an appointment, and bring your application with you to the interview. If chicopee does it that way, tell her to leave the "reason for licence" blank, and talk to the officer about her situation, and ask what she should write down. Now I know the town next door's interview prossess is like this. you bring the completed form to the police station and they call you when they want you to come in. If Chicopee does it this way, I would write "all lawfull purpose because ________" and explaine why

hope this helps
    good luck

remember, its our right to keep and bear arms. If they limit a licence to target or hunting, its a rights violation. contacting the NRA or GOAL will help.
    While this may be the case where you are from...it was not for me. Mine was an interrogation more or less in my eyes. At the end of the day, not only did I not get my Class A LTC ALP, I got knocked down to a Class B LTC. I went to the NRA and GOAL with my story, I was informed that there is nothing we can do about it because in MA, itís the LAW that chiefs can do what they want. Here in PRMA, each Town has the right to pretty much do what they want. Each Chief can do his own thing when it comes to his town. If they don't give out ALP Class A's, then there might be nothing she can do. I would meet with a Firearm lawyer here in MA and have your mom go over things with them and see what the recommend. It might cost a bit, but could be worth it. I am sorry to hear about your dad. Keep us updated!

Also, get on your local Reps to support the bill proposed by GOAL to change things here in PRMA

Best of luck,
    Capo
    "Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum"

Quote Originally Posted by capo2186 View Post
    At the end of the day, not only did I not get my Class A LTC ALP, I got knocked down to a Class B LTC. each Town has the right to pretty much do what they want. Each Chief can do his own thing when it comes to his town. Capo
    True - My girlfriends brother in law is from the town next door I was talking about earlier. The chief said he only gives out class B's to first timers.

My friends mother lived in a town that is known for not giving out a's. She got hers because she gave a good reason (realistate broker - alot of door to door).

Its possable your (manderson"s) mother can convince the chief

afterall, she most likely looks like a lesser threat than a 26 year old

6. All lawful purposes is no longer accepted....

Use these in this order:

Carry large sums of money
    Protection of Life and Property

7. All lawful purposes is no longer accepted....

Use these in this order:

Carry large sums of money
    Protection of Life and Property

Feeding Hills, MA

In Feeding Hills MA you apply for your License To Carry give them your NRA and MA state police certificates they make copies there. They will issue a LTC with no restrictions and there is no interview with the chief of police. they have a very pro gun attitude and will help you each step of the way, they will even take your picture there and on electronic fingerprint.

Central licensing authority

I read last month or so that MA is now moving to a central authority for the LTC issue. The blog 'Snowflakes in Hell' had something on it.
    Hope it makes a positive impact. Town to town standards are arbitrary and should be done away with.

The power to issue a license is in the hands of the chief of police in the town in which you reside. The issue here is some chiefs will and others will not issue unrestricted Class A LTC.

The difference as it was explained to me, was "all lawful purpose" was too loose a term and allowed the holder of the license broad interpretations. The phrase "protection of life and property" had the connotation that the weapon was to be carried on ones person at all times and not to be allowed to be loose in a vehicle etc..

The laws in this state are convoluted and confusing and quite dumb with regards to firearms.

The cradle of Freedom... Perhaps 235 years ago.

Peace...
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

issuing authority

You're right that it still rest w/ the Chief. There is legislation to move to a central authority.
    I looked around and found that H 2259 is the bill, but can't find anything on its current status other than it's still active.
    Do folks from this forum, or any groups with which they are members, have the means/ability/interest to jump-start the bill fi it's in fact stalled?
    I'll keep looking for the current status and keep y'all posted.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast