Firearms Deer Season
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Firearms Deer Season

  1. #1

    Firearms Deer Season

    Gotta get this off my chest,
    Our states economy is pretty well @#%$*&$#! And now I am hearing from all these non-hunters that Michigan can endure just fine without harvesting Deer. BS! 6 to 7 hundred thousand firerarm hunters alone. Millions of rounds of ammo. Who can even guess how many $$$$ go up north with the hunters. Food, lodging, gas, and a whole bunch of others add up to millions of bucks (not venison) going into the states economy. And Michigan is one of the few states where hunting is not in decline as it is in other states. I haven't even mentioned Bow season, our youth hunt, black powder ---- you know what I mean. Perhaps our legislature can screw this up also.

    I feel better now. This home made venison jerky tastes real good!!

    Tim

  2.   
  3. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by timusp40 View Post
    Gotta get this off my chest,
    Our states economy is pretty well @#%$*&$#! And now I am hearing from all these non-hunters that Michigan can endure just fine without harvesting Deer. BS! 6 to 7 hundred thousand firerarm hunters alone. Millions of rounds of ammo. Who can even guess how many $$$$ go up north with the hunters. Food, lodging, gas, and a whole bunch of others add up to millions of bucks (not venison) going into the states economy. And Michigan is one of the few states where hunting is not in decline as it is in other states. I haven't even mentioned Bow season, our youth hunt, black powder ---- you know what I mean. Perhaps our legislature can screw this up also.

    I feel better now. This home made venison jerky tastes real good!!

    Tim
    You will not get an argument out of me. You have to Add in License fees, DNR range Fees, State park Windshield entry tags, let alone the fees charged for out of state hunters that come here to hunt.

    Remember, I am a Member of P.E.T.A.... People Eating Tasty Animals....
    Semper Fi

  4. #3
    frank.macher Guest
    Those wonderful people forget the damage that is done to the farmers and the automobile drivers as well. I have seen deer moving at all hours this year. I commute from Lansing to Adrian, 90 minutes +/- each way. On the way home I can see the field for about half of the trip, I have been counting 13-16 deer in the fields just off the freeway...

    The farmers in my area are definately in favor of hunting. Their crops are still being attacked.

    IMHO, they are a bit hypocritical as well. I've been chastised for my support for hunting, and always have fun with my replies to them... Gee, you mean that burger you are enjoying is a more ethical and moral meal than hunting for the venison that is paid for and maintained by the hunters? Wow, that fried chicken is so much more humanely treated than hunting for pheasant, duck, etc. Ohhh, that Turkey you are making for Thanksgiving, etc.

    I am also a member of PETA - People Educating Total Arses...

    Thanks for letting me vent too

  5. #4
    One BIG plus to living here in the Outback (ND) is that we have a minimum of antis (anti-guns, anti-hunters). The gun and hunting culture is VERY strong, here. Other than the occasional liberal transplant to the universities, most everyone here is pretty close to the land. Even people who don't hunt have friends and family members who do and nobody thinks a thing about it. Getting access to hunt, here, if you're polite, is a non-issue. Years ago, I brought my Dad and one of my brothers up from Maryland to pheasant hunt and they were floored by the pro-gun and pro-hunting sentiment here.

    The winters can be brutal here but it does keep out the riff-raff.

  6. #5
    I have to agree with JJ about the hunting culture,even if it is on a downward trend here in MS. Most people I encounter are not opposed to hunting. Altho permission to hunt is getting harder to come by and leases are steadily rising. This is because hunting has turned into a billion dollar business. Which brings in a bunch of $$ for the state. Wish common sense could prevail,sorta like in the good old days. Eat what you take,dont take more than you can eat. The death of the common man hunting will come at the behest of the trophy hunters pricing everyone out of room to hunt. I see a trend of only the well to do hunting,as opposed to the common man hunting for the freezer. So thank you VS channel and Outdoor Channel. Big racks are nice,but they never seem to tender up in the crock pot.
    Now I have vented.
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what's for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

  7. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by rugerfan.64 View Post
    ... leases are steadily rising. This is because hunting has turned into a billion dollar business. Which brings in a bunch of $$ for the state. ...The death of the common man hunting will come at the behest of the trophy hunters pricing everyone out of room to hunt. I see a trend of only the well to do hunting
    Yeah, we have seen a big increase in lease hunting and I agree that eventually this will be a rich man's sport. I would expect ND to be one of the last to go this route, however, but it doesn't bode well for the long term (say, my son and his kids-to-be).

    Just recently, tho, I met a rancher in the primo pheasant-hunting part of the state, who not only let me and my son hunt, but put us up in his ranch calving shed (more of a hunting lodge), told us to help ourselves to food in the fridge, and drinks at his well-stocked bar. Wouldn't take a dime, said: "My family and I believe a father and his son should have a place to hunt in ND". And invited us back anytime we wanted to come. Unbelievable. God bless people like this, they humble me and teach me to cultivate the gift of hospitality.

  8. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by JJFlash View Post
    Yeah, we have seen a big increase in lease hunting and I agree that eventually this will be a rich man's sport. I would expect ND to be one of the last to go this route, however, but it doesn't bode well for the long term (say, my son and his kids-to-be).

    Just recently, tho, I met a rancher in the primo pheasant-hunting part of the state, who not only let me and my son hunt, but put us up in his ranch calving shed (more of a hunting lodge), told us to help ourselves to food in the fridge, and drinks at his well-stocked bar. Wouldn't take a dime, said: "My family and I believe a father and his son should have a place to hunt in ND". And invited us back anytime we wanted to come. Unbelievable. God bless people like this, they humble me and teach me to cultivate the gift of hospitality.
    wow!!! sounds like my kind of place. might have to just visit ND sometime. maybe buy some land there...
    You can have my freedom as soon as I'm done with it!!!

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast