Michigan Open Carry Meeting Broken-up - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Michigan Open Carry Meeting Broken-up

Quote Originally Posted by PX4storm View Post
    I believe my 2nd amendment Right is my CWP.
    As others have pointed out before, in other conversations, any "right" that requires a license or a permit, is not a right, it is a privilege.

Carrying a concealed handgun in Michigan is a privilege, carrying a handgun openly is a right.
    Big Gay Al: Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    An unarmed person speaking of the benefits of gun control is like a
    eunuch speaking about the benefits of sexual abstinence.

Quote Originally Posted by Onlinedad View Post
    A lot of good points, and opinions here. So I'll throw mine in as well. NavyLT I believe you hit it right on the head there. We should not be offended, or feel any humility by any firearm in public, nor by the person carring it. Instead we should turn the tables around and make those who are not carrying, or those who try to paint gun ownership in a bad light, feel ashamed for having that mental outlook. For instance if the media reports something like the typical "oh my god its a gun" bs, we should all write in and tell them how incompetent and uneducated they're report was. Give them examples of what to report, like the police overreacted today when they sent 10 officers to remove a law abiding citizen from a public establishment who was there legally, and just so happened to have a firearm.

Back to reality though, we are not sure what the entire details of the situation are either. Did the guy bring it in to the meeting because someone else there asked him to? Or maybe he was having problems with it, and one of the other members offered to help with the solution (a little weapons maint. over dinner, just dont lose that firing pin retaining pin). Or maybe it was new and he wanted to show it off. Or maybe it was hunting season there, and he was on his way out, or back in, and didnt feel comfortable leaving it in his vehical.

If this guy was trying to make a statement then I think RugerP345's signature line states it best Maybe we should stop looking down at this guy, and maybe everyone at that meeting should have been packing a scarey looking black gun. We all should (as your states' infringement of the 2A law allows) sling a weapon where ever we go.

My point exactly. Rather than condemn the person exercising his rights, why not condemn those that attack the man for doing nothing wrong?

You don't have to agree with what he did, nor participate if you choose not to. Simply refraining from attacking a citizen from exercising his rights is ok by me if you don't feel comfortable speaking out in favor of those who wish to exercise their rights in this manner.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

Quote Originally Posted by Glock Fan View Post
    My point exactly. Rather than condemn the person exercising his rights, why not condemn those that attack the man for doing nothing wrong?

You don't have to agree with what he did, nor participate if you choose not to. Simply refraining from attacking a citizen from exercising his rights is ok by me if you don't feel comfortable speaking out in favor of those who wish to exercise their rights in this manner.

gf
    Well, I for one don't agree with what the guy did, but I do agree that he has a right to do so, and therefore did nothing illegal.

The only other thing I'll add, is if I was there when he showed up, I would have left right away.
    Big Gay Al: Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    An unarmed person speaking of the benefits of gun control is like a
    eunuch speaking about the benefits of sexual abstinence.

I used the word "Bazooka" in an earlier post as a metaphor - and the ONLY reason you heard ANYTHING about this open carry discussion in Lansing (which turned into a negative) was the result in my opinion, a POOR choice of bringing that AR-15 along. Legal, of course, but as i wrote earlier it excites the anti-gun advocates even more. It's a fine line, exercise our rights or lose them. Answer me this, I'm in a store (or on the street) carrying concealed legally, and for whatever reason decide I no longer want to carry concealed - but now want to open carry. So now I expose it to people standing around. You think that wouldn't attract attention? Maybe someone would call the police, maybe not. Legal? - yes. Smart? Just curious. I support his legal right to carry, and I said that in a later post too.
    Last edited by Cobra; 02-08-2010 at 06:20 PM. Reason: add phrase

6. Quote Originally Posted by Cobra View Post
    Answer me this, I'm in a store (or on the street) carrying concealed legally, and for whatever reason decide I no longer want to carry concealed - but now want to open carry. So now I expose it to people standing around. You think that wouldn't attract attention? Maybe someone would call the police, maybe not. Legal? - yes. Smart? Just curious. I support his legal right to carry, and I said that in a later post too.
    I will answer that. I have done that many, many times, simply because I do not pay attention to how I carry. I normally open carry, but if I am cold, I put my jacket on and if it covers the gun out of convenience then it covers the gun. Then I go eat (and I eat out a LOT!), or go to the store and get hot, I take my jacket off. Going between open carry and concealed carry has not been a problem for me, but, almost all of time, my change of attire would be considered at a "normal" time and for "normal" reasons.

Thanks NavyLT.

8. Look it’s a matter of decorum and etiquette the average non-gun owning citizen seeing someone walking around with an AR should be marginally concerned. It’s really impossible to discern whether this person has malicious intents. At least with a handgun it can just be holstered giving most people the belief that the carrier is an LEO or at least someone that should be carrying.
    As a CWP holder, if I was out with my kids for dinner at a restaurant and saw some yahoo walking around with an AR believe me I would be a bit concerned, at least in that setting.
    Let us face it an AR is not the most perfect close quarters personal defensive weapon. You don’t usually need to shoot at that carjacker from 100+ yards out.
    Let us all keep in mind that when you carry concealed or open you are representing ALL gun owners so let us show some sense, discretion and respect. It is the same discretion and respect we should show in public when speaking or behaving. We may have the right to say what we want and how we want but I don’t appreciate people talking like drunken sailors or truck drivers around my wife and kids. No disrespect to you drunken sailors and or truck drivers, of which I have belonged to one group from time to time myself.
    So bottom line is lets all realize there is a proper time and place for everything.
    "Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Quote Originally Posted by rsdonb View Post
    I worked at a Power Plant for 25 years and we all knew that an explosion was possible at any time. The unspoken word was and will always be "check it, check it and check it again" But with the greatest degree of safety these things will always happen. Hopefully someday this will not be so. My heart goes out to these men and women and their families. Remember they make lights possible.
    ...and they make the www and this site possible.

Just takes one

Just takes one person to mess things up for the rest of us.

11. So this is my first post. I found this sight while cruising the net for news.

I'm really surprised at the response of some of you to the carrying of the AR. If I saw this I'm sure I wouldn't just get up and leave. I may pay closer attention. Obviously some of you are OK with others carrying weapons as long as they keep a low profile. It seems you don't want to rile the people. I'm ambivalent as to whether or not it was a wise thing to do. I'm certainly not going to call the guy a fool.

So far on this 4 page thread, nobody has brought this up.

Paste from the article: (Officials from Michigan Open Carry say the owner of Ponderosa greed to let them hold a meeting at the restaurant. But he says he didn't expect the meeting to be held on a busy Saturday -- and certainly didn't expect the men to bring more than handguns.

"At first, we looked the other way on the handguns," said owner Dennis Holleran. "And then some gentleman shows up with an assault rifle, and that was just too far over the top.

That's when an assistant manager decided to call police.)

The owner said it was OK to have a meeting in his business, knowing firearms would be present. Thinking that the AR was "over the top", he has an employee call the police. Mind you, he doesn't say that he asked them to leave. I'm sure they would have. No. He doesn't do what a reasonable business owner would do. He calls the cops. The one clown I see here in this story is the business owner. Pure clown.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast