Michigan Open Carry Meeting Broken-up - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Michigan Open Carry Meeting Broken-up

Quote Originally Posted by palmrose2 View Post
    So this is my first post. I found this sight while cruising the net for news.

I'm really surprised at the response of some of you to the carrying of the AR. If I saw this I'm sure I wouldn't just get up and leave. I may pay closer attention. Obviously some of you are OK with others carrying weapons as long as they keep a low profile. It seems you don't want to rile the people. I'm ambivalent as to whether or not it was a wise thing to do. I'm certainly not going to call the guy a fool.

So far on this 4 page thread, nobody has brought this up.

The owner said it was OK to have a meeting in his business, knowing firearms would be present. Thinking that the AR was "over the top", he has an employee call the police. Mind you, he doesn't say that he asked them to leave. I'm sure they would have. No. He doesn't do what a reasonable business owner would do. He calls the cops. The one clown I see here in this story is the business owner. Pure clown.
    Nope. The assistant manager called the police to find out if it was legal to carry a rifle in public. If you'd bothered to check out the thread(s) on opencarry.org in the Michigan section, you'd see that, somewhere among the myriad of messages....eventually.

The problem is, anytime you call the police to ask a question like that, they have a tendency to send officers to investigate, whether you want them too or not.

As for me, IF I had planned on going to a (informal/not official MOC) open carry meeting like that, and one of the people showed up with an AR15, or ANY rifle, I would leave, for the simple reason that, it's one thing to OC a pistol, which if you read Open Carry dot Org's site, you'll find out that is what the founders of the site support, "the right to openly carry properly holstered handguns in daily American life."

And when I spoke of leaving if someone showed up with an AR15, it was as part of the meeting, not if I were just sitting in the place, minding my own business. If it happened that way, then I would keep a close eye on the guy. But if he came there as part of the same meeting I was going to, I'd make my apologies to whomever organized the event, and leave.

And while I agree, the guy with the AR15 did not break any laws, his simple act of carrying the AR15 made it appear as though he and/or MOC, or some members of MOC were looking to create a news story.

Was that his actual intention? I don't know. But, in fairness to the group from MOC, they thought that their timing would miss the busy time at the business. And having been there myself a few times, around that same time, I'd say it was a reasonable assumption on their part. But you know how things sometimes just don't work out.

As for the rest, my understanding of the situation now is that MOC is welcome at Ponderosa, as long as they don't bring rifles.
    Big Gay Al: Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    An unarmed person speaking of the benefits of gun control is like a
    eunuch speaking about the benefits of sexual abstinence.

Amen brother.... The law is open carry. I don't recall reading it was for pistols only. At the same time I won't would to draw too much attention either. When I'm out I'm careful to be visually acceptable(dressed neatly) and polite. CARRY ON BROTHERS, CARRY ON!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Confess View Post
    WoW. Just. WoW. There is always someone that just has to push the envelope. WTG! Until the envelope starts pushing back. I suppose wandering into a restaurant with an AR15 would naturally have everyone happy to see you?
    When not pushing the envelope or boundaries we sometimes allow them to come back a little toward us...

I get the common sense argument in this case, but over 200+ years ago walking into a pub or eating establishment with a rifle was common place especially here in New England.
    Ah the good old days...

Just trying to keep it light.

Peace...
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

Quote Originally Posted by DPR2030 View Post
    Amen brother.... The law is open carry. I don't recall reading it was for pistols only. At the same time I won't would to draw too much attention either. When I'm out I'm careful to be visually acceptable(dressed neatly) and polite. CARRY ON BROTHERS, CARRY ON!!!
    Actually, as far as I know, the law doesn't specify pistols or longarms, so, like I said, the guy who brought the AR15 was not breaking any laws. But I do believe he was pushing the envelope of acceptability. We have a hard enough time getting the sheeple to accept the fact that we can OC handguns. Still, it's his decision, just as it's my decision to stick around or not when someone OC's a rifle.
    Big Gay Al: Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    An unarmed person speaking of the benefits of gun control is like a
    eunuch speaking about the benefits of sexual abstinence.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345