Michigan Open and Concealed Carry Laws and Information - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Michigan Open and Concealed Carry Laws and Information

Quote Originally Posted by amddude View Post
    Hey kids, I've updated MI's concealed permit info. I'll get laws done here shortly. Let me know if there's anything that's incorrect or if I should add something.
    You have stated the open carry is unrestricted in Michigan on the info page. It is if you don't have a CPL. But you are restricted if you don't have a CPL in these places (1) Sec. 234d (1) Except as otherwise provided in subsection (2), a person shall not possess a firearm on the premises of any of the following:
    a) A depository financial institution or a subsidiary or affiliate of a depository financial institution.
    b) A church or other house of religious worship.
    c) A court.
    d) A theatre.
    e) A sports arena.
    f) A day care center.
    g) A hospital.
    h) An establishment licensed under the Michigan liquor control act.

SO THERE IS SOME RESTRICTION. You may want to update that as well. And again open carry is becoming more popular in the city as well as rural areas. You might want to make note of that as well.
    *The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research on the subject of open carry in Michigan. If you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

“The charge of every citizen of a free state is to be ever vigilante of the government’s role as their servant and not allow it to become their master.” Brian Jeffs, 2008

frank.macher Guest

Exclamation January 2009 change to the Public Act 019

there are specific changes opening up some of the interpretation scheduled to take effect in Jan 2009.

Act No. 194
    Public Acts of 2008
    Approved by the Governor
    July 10, 2008
    Filed with the Secretary of State
    July 11, 2008
    EFFECTIVE DATE: January 7, 2009
    (4) Subsection (1) does not apply to any of the following:
    (a) An individual licensed under this act who is a retired police officer or retired law enforcement officer. The
    concealed weapon licensing board may require a letter from the law enforcement agency stating that the retired police
    officer or law enforcement officer retired in good standing.
    (b) An individual who is licensed under this act and who is employed or contracted by an entity described under
    subsection (1) to provide security services and is required by his or her employer or the terms of a contract to carry a
    concealed firearm on the premises of the employing or contracting entity.
    (c) An individual who is licensed as a private investigator or private detective under the private detective license
    act, 1965 PA 285, MCL 338.821 to 338.851.
    (d) Any of the following who is licensed under this act:
    (i) A corrections officer of a county sheriff’s department.
    (ii) A motor carrier officer or capitol security officer of the department of state police.
    (iii) A member of a sheriff’s posse.
    (iv) An auxiliary officer or reserve officer of a police or sheriff’s department.
    (v) A parole or probation officer of the department of corrections.

I think for now Ill stick to leaving my weapon in the car when I enter schools and such, unless that is if I speak with the owners first. Id hate to cause a panic at a local school or court house. Then again, guns being pointed at me with people in dark clothing with metal shields on their shirts, isnt good for this guy, not in the least bit. But, it would help reduce the negative image on all people with guns.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier....One died for your soul; the other for your freedom.

MSP Legal Update #86

I believe that you will find the following link gives very good information on Open Carry in MI:

http://mi.gov/documents/msp/MSP_Lega...2_336854_7.pdf

Enjoy!

Question...I dont openly carry very often, but I do have a rather awsome level 2 retention holster, I live within the Flint City limits, and recently I heard the City had banned open carry, can they enforce the law within city limits or does state still overrule their law?
    I know state usually superceeds local laws, but can the city even issue me a ticket or citation?
    Thanks,
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier....One died for your soul; the other for your freedom.

Quote Originally Posted by Itstjs View Post
    Question...I dont openly carry very often, but I do have a rather awsome level 2 retention holster, I live within the Flint City limits, and recently I heard the City had banned open carry, can they enforce the law within city limits or does state still overrule their law?
    I know state usually superceeds local laws, but can the city even issue me a ticket or citation?
    Thanks,
    FIREARMS AND AMMUNITION (EXCERPT)
    Act 319 of 1990

123.1102 Regulation of pistols or other firearms.

Sec. 2.

A local unit of government shall not impose special taxation on, enact or enforce any ordinance or regulation pertaining to, or regulate in any other manner the ownership, registration, purchase, sale, transfer, transportation, or possession of pistols or other firearms, ammunition for pistols or other firearms, or components of pistols or other firearms, except as otherwise provided by federal law or a law of this state.

History: 1990, Act 319, Eff. Mar. 28, 1991

Michigan Legislature - Section 123.1102

8. When you refer to the pistol free zones not applying to CPL holders, does that mean they can open carry in these places

This is all great info,I appriciate all the questions and answers ,very infomative thanks

10. Quote Originally Posted by Austin Lee Tyler View Post
    When you refer to the pistol free zones not applying to CPL holders, does that mean they can open carry in these places
    Yes. In Michigan there is a list of places where a CPL holder cannot carry a CONCEALED handgun. There is another list of places where firearms are not allowed to be. The second list is almost the same but still slightly different. The big part about the second list is it exempts those who have a CPL. So since they are not carry concealed under the first list and the second list exempts them they can open carry(the second list makes no mention of open carry).

11. open carry questions

Are there ever any open carry q and a meetings or information groups that get together in lansing?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast